Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Successful IVF over 43?

(15 Posts)
zelda200 Thu 03-Dec-15 12:52:46

Hi - we're considering IVF but given our factors, I wonder whether it's a terrible idea (cost, likelihood of success, emotional upset).

I'm 44 and we have 2 children and, after years of arguing about it, my partner has recently agreed to try for a third.

I got pregnant when I was just 44, but no embryo developed in the sac, and eventually miscarried. I presume this is just as likely to happen with IVF, but somehow feel IVF might offer increased chance of success, because of the various drugs and monitoring etc.

Does anyone have any stories of successful IVF where the woman is 44?

Thanks

sparechange Thu 03-Dec-15 12:54:05

Would you look to use your own eggs or donor eggs?

LillianGish Thu 03-Dec-15 12:58:22

I'm sure there are success stories, but that doesn't mean you'll be successful. You can get pregnant so wondering what point of IVF would be. Frankly I think it's a pity more private clinics don't give this advice after watching a couple of friends throw literally thousands of pounds at the problem - in their case they are childless so their desperation is more understandable. Don't mean to sound unsympathetic, but you did ask.

Sunnyshores Thu 03-Dec-15 13:16:17

IVF is an incredibly emotional, painful and stressful experience at any age, to do it when you're older will be very hard on your body and to do it when you are already busy with 2 children and DPs not exactly enthused will be even more difficult.

I can not explain the enormity and all consuming nature of IVF.

Each clinics chances of success vary, over 40 its really low maybe 20% at the best clinics. So first you need to chose a clinic with the best results and then you need to assume it could take 4+ cycles. Are you prepared for that? Can you afford it? When would you give up?

Then you need to look at specifically your chances - some more responsible clinics wont let you do it anyway if you are in pre-menopause (you wouldnt know you were, a blood test tells you this).

IVF helps you get pregnant, but once you are its the same - it doesnt mean you wont miscarry, or the baby wont have any problems and again being over 40 this is more likely.

This is harsh, but really Id count your blessings for your DCs, their health, your happy partnership, ttc naturally but Id forget about IVF.

cloudjumper Thu 03-Dec-15 13:24:38

There are lots of stories about successful IVF for women over 40, it's one of the main population groups who take this approach. And I have heard lots of stories where it has failed from women in their thirties.

Would you want to do IVF with your own or with donor eggs? The main reason for miscarriages are chromosomal abnormalities, and the risk for those increases with age. So if you use your own eggs, there will be a much higher chance for miscarriage, as they won't be able to check if your egg is chromosomally healthy before putting it in. So the risk of miscarriage wouldn't be massively reduced with your own eggs, in spite of monitoring etc., I would guess.

Donor eggs would increase (but not guarantee) the chances of a chromosomally healthy embryo, but obviously have other implications - higher cost, longer waiting times, and the issue with having to tell your child that your are not the biological mother at some point...

Have you had all the checks regarding ovulation, hormone levels etc.? And your partner? You clearly can get pg, so I agree about the question what the point of IVF would be if you are planning to use your own.

Chattycat78 Thu 03-Dec-15 13:26:34

I would be tempted to post this on the infertility rather than the pregnancy board. For what it's worth, my view is that the biggest hurdle you are going to come across is egg quality because of age. This is the case regardless of whether you were to do ivf or not. I did ivf for my ds and it was very emotionally stressful. Everyone is different but there is no way I would be considering it if I already had 2 children or If I was older than 40. The success rates are very very low I believe at that age because of egg quality issues. I'm not saying it's impossible, but I would expect to have to have a number of goes at it and perhaps to spend thousands and it still not to work in the end.

Chattycat78 Thu 03-Dec-15 13:35:42

Sorry just to add to what cloud jumper said- I think the picture is vastly different if you were looking at donor eggs as it removes the issue with egg quality. Also just in terms of my post above, I meant to say that I wouldn't consider ivf if I had two children AND was over 40- if I had no children and was over 40, I would of course consider ivf!

Kaytee1987 Thu 03-Dec-15 17:00:37

I think if you can already get pregnant just try again naturally. IVF doesn't guarantee a successful pregnancy x

sparechange Thu 03-Dec-15 17:14:09

This gives you an approximate idea of the success rates you'd be looking at for IVF although they vary between clinics.
There is a marked decline from 40-42 to 43-44
I don't think any UK clinics will do non-donor IVF with anyone over 45 so depending on when your birthday is, it might be a non-starter anyway.

www.createhealth.org/our-success/success-rates

sparechange Thu 03-Dec-15 17:15:08

And also not to be a downer, those rates are for achieving a pregnancy, not for live birth, so that doesn't factor in the miscarriage rate from 6 weeks onwards....

WombOfOnesOwn Thu 03-Dec-15 17:25:28

There is literally a zero percent chance of a live birth with IVF at age 45. Age 44 has an incredibly low chance (see the above graph showing 6% for 43-44, and most of those pregnancies will be for the 43 year olds--at 44, you're probably looking at 3% or less on a given cycle).

Seriously--zero percent at age 45. I was shocked to first find that out as well. Every time you see a 45+ year old celeb have a baby with IVF, you're looking at someone who's using donor eggs.

Alb1 Thu 03-Dec-15 17:42:42

womb it might be really incredibly rare but I don't think it's a 0% chance, I had a quick Google and found a few stories straight away of women 45 and over having babies via ivf using their own eggs. Iv never researched ivf so I deffiently don't no much about it, but Iv seen differently to you so just wanted to put it out there

www.createhealth.org/news/2013/never-say-never

WombOfOnesOwn Thu 03-Dec-15 17:54:15

0% doesn't mean "literally no one." It means less than one in a hundred. That's a lot of money and heartbreak for a chance that is...honestly terrible.

AnyoneButSanta Thu 03-Dec-15 18:04:03

This (page 30) suggests that the live birth rate for a 43 year old with fresh eggs is about 4-5%.

Basically IVF is very good at curing specific fertility issues (known or unknown) but it will not make your eggs younger.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

zelda200 Fri 04-Dec-15 14:44:20

Thanks everyone for your input, it's just nice to talk to other people about it - other than my partner of course.
I'm considering IVF because they could possibly do a screening test (PGS?) to check for genetic abnormalities, which is why it feels like it offers a bit more of a chance than trying naturally. But even that test depends on how many embryos develop, not guaranteed to have enough.
BTW - the clinic we've been to is not particularly encouraging it, I don't want you to think there are clinics out there being irresponsible... the doctors said it was a less than 5% chance.
Thanks again all... x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now