Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Midwife refused to sign

(9 Posts)
ohagape Thu 03-Dec-15 12:21:24

My midwife refused to sign her bit on my application for the sure start grant as I left work at 20 weeks and am on income support so I am eligible for it. She said she doubts I can get it. I've had problems with her being patronising because I'm young and my OH has left me. Is there anyone else that can sign it for me as I really need the money?

5hell Thu 03-Dec-15 13:03:07

i dont really know anything about this, so cant say for sure, but GP, practice nurse, or a different MW perhaps?

does she sign to say you're pregnant & confirm EDD etc, or is she signing to say she thinks you're eligable from a finacial perspective?

ohagape Thu 03-Dec-15 13:05:51

I think I can get my doctor to do it, yeah it's proof of pregnancy but she said why bother because she doesn't think I qualify. I tried telling her I do but she wouldn't listen. I'm 32 weeks and need it for the last of my baby stuff. Is 32 weeks to late to request a change in midwife?

Sighing Thu 03-Dec-15 13:25:52

No idea about your eligibility but ffs she could sign for you meeting the eligibility criteria hmm complain at surgery / hospital where she's based. She's acted outside her remit. It's always worth applying if you meet the criteria. Particularly as this is support for a child.

Danglyweed Thu 03-Dec-15 13:28:29

Does your gp's surgery have a community midwife? They would sign it

Lj8893 Thu 03-Dec-15 13:37:59

Its likely your maternity unit/hospital have a drop in clinic for antenatal appointments that you can attend rather than seeing your usual community midwife. Is that an option?

bittapitta Thu 03-Dec-15 16:11:47

Can you use your Mat B1 form? They can't refuse that. GP or midwife can give that you.

Etak15 Thu 03-Dec-15 16:27:06

Surely it's not the midwifes job to assess eligibility for benefits, your just asking her to sign to confirm pregnancy, date expected etc like they do for a matb1?

Kaytee1987 Thu 03-Dec-15 17:13:22

It's not up to your midwife to assess your eligibility for a benefit. Ask your gp if they can sign it. Below are the factors for this grant l you or your partner are getting
– Income Support, or
– income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance, or
– income-related Employment and Support Allowance, or
– Universal Credit, or
– Pension Credit, or
– Working Tax Credit which includes a disability or severe disability element, or
– Child Tax Credit at a rate higher than the family element.
Your tax credits award notice will include a breakdown of your award. If your Child Tax Credit total is greater
than the amounts shown as the family elements you may qualify for a Sure Start Maternity Grant.
and
l you need help with buying things for a baby that
– has recently been born, or
– is expected to be born in the next 11 weeks, or
– was recently born and you have become the responsible parent but are not the mother’s partner, or
– is the subject of an adoption or residence order, or
– is the subject of a parental order in respect of a surrogate birth, or
– has been placed with you for adoption, or
– you have been appointed the guardian of, or
– you have adopted overseas.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now