Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

low mood/anxiety in pregnancy support

(13 Posts)
UptownFunk00 Thu 03-Dec-15 12:01:59

It seems quite a few are suffering this so thought I'd set up a support.

I am 30 weeks pregnant with a DD(2.8) and she's been quite a challenge recently. That with the SPD and erratic sleep I'm tearful/agitated often.

Here to talk to those going through similar.

Duckstar Thu 03-Dec-15 12:13:44

29 + 3 here. Developed horrendous anxiety at 27 weeks after getting viral meningitis at 24 weeks. Been put on mitrazapine. Helped with insomnia and eating, but still anxious. Start counselling tomorrow Have you spoken to anyone? I really recommend speaking to your midwife or GP. Don't suffer in silence.

UptownFunk00 Thu 03-Dec-15 12:21:42

I think I should to be honest. I'm so impatient and agitated. Thing is already on Sertraline so don't want to up mess really but not sure what can help.

UptownFunk00 Thu 03-Dec-15 12:22:15

Meds even - autocorrect.

Duckstar Thu 03-Dec-15 12:57:28

Totally understand the impatience. I want a magic pill to make the anxiety go way - take me back to "normal". I saw the psychiatrist after one week on mitrazapine and was like, "why am I not better?" He was very nice, but explained that there was no magic pill. I would get better, but it would take time. It was reassuring though, because I was panicking that because I still had anxiety on meds that I would never get better. Is your anxiety any better on the meds? How long have you been on them? I think as you say you need to be honest, because otherwise the anxiety just gets worse.

It's really hard, but I think if I have seen an improvement in the last 2 weeks is that I am able to say how I am feeling. 2 weeks ago I was literally so anxious I couldn't say what was making me feel anxious. It was so bad and fearful and I would make everyone else around me anxious if I told them my fears.

UptownFunk00 Thu 03-Dec-15 16:24:30

I've been on Sertraline for 8 years varying doses from between 50 - 150mg. I'm on 100mg now. When I sass just on 50 my anxiety / mental OCD was just awful - that was about 18 months ago.

strawberryandaflake Thu 03-Dec-15 16:52:20

37 weeks with twins, in so much pain I can barely move. Haven't bothered to get dressed in my horrible maternity clothes that barely fit. Hands are seized up due to carpal tunnel. Too tired to even make lunch. No one about to come visit me. Bored. Miserable.

Duckstar Thu 03-Dec-15 17:54:23

Uptown have you had any counselling?

UptownFunk00 Thu 03-Dec-15 19:18:12

On and off since 11-17. Not since then.

UptownFunk00 Thu 03-Dec-15 19:18:35

25 now btw.

EmilyBStarr Thu 03-Dec-15 19:26:37

Thanks for starting this thread. 12 weeks here. Suffering badly with anxiety and depression- was on sertraline till ttc, and as with my previous pregnancy (dd2.4) headed swiftly downhill within a few weeks of positive test. Was trying to hold out till 13 weeks before going back on meds but felt so bad I started at 11. Have first app with perinatal psych next week so hopefully they will be ok with prescribing it.
Uptown- have you been on sertraline all through the pregnancy?

UptownFunk00 Thu 03-Dec-15 19:38:43

Yes I have and previous pregnancy. Out of all the meds I believe it's the safest but naturally still worried.

VAStarlet Sat 12-Dec-15 05:48:32

I've been on an antidepressant and mood stabiliser (for bipolar disorder) throughout my pregnancy. In the first trimester I was taken off another mood stabiliser due to the risks but have since been put back on this now risk has reduced. I'm 24 +2 and have just had my antidepressant increased and been prescribed diazepam in an attempt to reduce my anxiety.

It's a lot of medications and I am acutely aware of the potential risks in pregnancy (which adds to the anxiety at times!) but I am taking on board what the professionals and friends are saying. They've pointed out that the risks to me are outweighing the risks to the baby at present and that it will be better for me to be well when the baby arrives.

Perhaps If I'd have fallen pregnant at another time things might have been different but I can't change that now. Sadly in the last twelve months I have been hospitalised twice due to my bipolar. Prior to this my husband and I had tried for three years to conceive. In July I cancelled my appointment with the fertility clinic feeling it was not the right time considering my own health. Three weeks later I found out I was pregnant.

Anyhow; sadly the anxiety won't disappear overnight but it should definitely reduce after a few weeks. In the mean time try to find time to practice some relaxation / breathing exercises (you can find things on the internet). The good thing is they will come in handy during labour too!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now