Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Experiences of getting pregnant whilst on the pill, what are the chances?

(10 Posts)
Junosmum Thu 03-Dec-15 10:02:35

I'm a regular poster and 34 weeks pregnant, I'm asking on behalf of a friends, I've told her to pee on a flippin stick but she's refusing (I think she's scared).

For a few weeks (6ish) she's been having trouble sleeping, waking up at 2/3 am and struggling to drop back off. Last night she told me that she has been throwing up and feeling nauseous for 6ish weeks. She thinks it's a tummy bug which is going round her work, but she doesn't have any diarrhoea and it's lasted longer than other people with the bug.

She's on the pill, and is currently on her period so doesn't think she can be pregnant. However I explained to her that a) no contraceptive is 100%, b) 'periods' on the pill aren't real periods and c) in August she went to Australia, she got a tummy bug AND didn't adjust the time she took her pill to account for the time difference so missed a few.

She's married and stable so a baby wouldn't be awful, just a shock.

She wants other opinions though and is refusing to take a test. I've tried explaining that it's better to know one way or the other but she's just in denial. Her husband would be thrilled, but is pretty uninformed about these things!

Scarydinosaurs Thu 03-Dec-15 10:03:38

I was taking the pill back to back and fell pregnant. POAS is the only way to make sure.

clarabellski Thu 03-Dec-15 10:18:23

Happened to 2 people I know. I don't know exact details (in terms of how vigilant they were about taking it/any illnesses they had at the time). One didn't realise she was pregnant until 6 1/2 months! shock

LouLou030783 Thu 03-Dec-15 10:35:32

I was on pill so was my friend who continued to have a "period" until around 4 months xx she should do a test x

Lozza1990 Thu 03-Dec-15 10:52:16

Throwing up means the pill may not work, so if she's sick should be using condoms. The chances of getting pregnant on the pill AND getting periods while pregnant are tiny but there's no harm in doing a test!

goodnightdarthvader1 Thu 03-Dec-15 11:02:17

FGS. Tell her to stop being silly and buy a pregnancy test.

spilttheteaagain Thu 03-Dec-15 15:26:57

Am 9 weeks pregnant. Conceived on the progesterone only pill. It is frankly baffling that I could be pregnant but there we are. Not only was I taking my pill, I have irregular periods due to breastfeeding, autoimmune underactive thyroid disease (which generally dampens fertility), slightly underweight BMI and we only actually get round to sex every 3-4 weeks. My MW asked if it was a planned pregnancy. I told her it was a fluke pregnancy.

Tell your friend to get a test. Though I very much feel for her, I shook and swore for quite some time when the two lines appeared, it was terrifying.

Melt90 Fri 04-Dec-15 07:36:22

I just found out a week ago I was pregnant scared me to death and I'm religiously taking the pill. I think it's just shocked me and now I'm panicking incase I'm going to do something wrong Iv got all these emotions running into one! Saw this site so thought it might help me 😁Iv got a midwife appointment on Monday to see if they can estimate how far gone I am as I haven't a clue I was taking pill with no breaks for two months any ideas how there gonna do this?? Appreciate your help x

spilttheteaagain Fri 04-Dec-15 10:41:24

Melt90 personally I couldn't handle the waiting & not knowing (and was umming and ahhing about possible termination) so I got a private scan the day after my positive test. £75 and well worth it to stop the mad frantic going round in circles. I was 6 weeks. We've decided to go ahead.

Basically, stop taking your pill, start taking folic acid, don't get drunk and talk to the MW next week, they may well organise an early dating scan as they'll want to make sure the "12 week" scan is done in the 11-14 week window for accurate dating and screening if you want it. Or google for private scans! I can recommend GP Care in Bristol if that's any use.

Over the last couple of months can you remember any occasions where you threw up/had diahorrea etc? That may give you a clue.

Good luck. I know full well the terror.

Melt90 Fri 04-Dec-15 15:13:51

Yeah I'm on folic acid yeah I am excited to find out its with me not knowing at all how far gone I am just that I keep feeling the flutter feeling I can't wait Monday is dragging just to see mid wife! So excited and anxious and scared of doing anything wrong and over thinking xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now