Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

What's on your birth plan?

(36 Posts)
1wokeuplikethis Wed 02-Dec-15 18:29:01

Or 'wish list.'?

This is my 2nd pregnancy and I am pretty much writing everything I wanted for my first again. Such as:

-water birth
-aromatherapy
-medicine ball
-low lighting
-wheat bags
-moving lots
-g&a (that autocorrected to G&T; I wish!)
-skin to skin

Sounds a bit airy fairy but that would be my ideal scenario.

First time I was induced 3 times, at 40+12 on a drip so couldn't move about or get in a pool. It was really bloody painful. Really praying for no synthetic labour this time!

What's the most important thing for your ideal labour?

NoArmaniNoPunani Wed 02-Dec-15 18:53:23

Home birth
Water birth
Hypnobirthing
Physiological delivery of placenta
G&A if asked for
Delayed cord clamping

Pollyputhtekettleon Wed 02-Dec-15 19:00:27

Water birth
Delayed cord clamping

I know I'll be left alone to get on with it otherwise and am well able to advocate for myself if needed regardless of the pain so that's all I wanted to write for practical reasons.

sepa Wed 02-Dec-15 19:17:41

What is delayed cord clamping? I don't have a plan. Should I at 25 weeks?

KatyN Wed 02-Dec-15 19:26:17

Mine couldnMt be more different!

Early epidural
Constant monitoring
In delivery suite right next to big red emergency button!!

My first baby was induced and then quite poorly afterwards (he's fine now). I have freaked out a lot about going through it again. And the matron wrote mine for me too!

I think it's really interesting people's different hopes!

Good luck, hope you get what you want this time kxx

MrsSoDown Wed 02-Dec-15 19:29:28

To have gas and air. That's it

cherrylola Wed 02-Dec-15 19:35:54

Homebirth
Water birth
Hypnobirthing
No vaginal examinations unless I ask
Low lighting, very little chat, (basically, just keep out of my way and let me get on with it please)
I want to catch the baby if possible
Physiological third stage with delayed cord clamping
Skin to skin
Let baby find the breast by themselves
Nothing but essential checks to baby until 1 hour after birth

madsaz76 Wed 02-Dec-15 20:28:45

please pronounce my name right
please look after DH if he faints
I'd like to try a waterbirth but have no idea if I will manage - have never been ill or injured in any way so don't know if I am soft or tough smile
if you are worried about something tell me, don't do a funny facial expression and leave the room - I will want to know
keep me and baby safe

pretty much covers everything I think

1wokeuplikethis Wed 02-Dec-15 20:57:06

What is physiological delivery?

As far as I know, the delayed cord clamping is so that the umbilical cord can continue to deliver nourishment to the baby for a short time when born. That's my hazy recollection from NCT classes 4 years ago so feel free to correct me smile

goodnightdarthvader1 Wed 02-Dec-15 21:10:57

Delayed cord clamping allows more iron transfer to the baby, said to help iron levels throughout childhood.

jamtartandcustard Wed 02-Dec-15 21:14:52

Give birth.
That's pretty much the plan. With my first dc I wrote a wonderful birth plan, an awful lot like those already mentioned - only g&a, relaxed, calm etc etc. Ended up induced and needing a emcs. So after that I've never bothered with a plan as it never goes that way. Even now, at 38+1, I haven't decided if I'm having a hospital or homebirth. luckily I have the most amazing midwife who said its ok to decide on the day. If I don't want to go in, they will send someone to me. And if I do go in, that's fine too.
I think the only definates are baby to have vit k injection, and I wil have injection to deliver placenta. That's pretty much it

hufflebottom Wed 02-Dec-15 21:16:49

I don't have one, well not a big plan. This is my second, didn't with my first either.

I can't be dealing with if it goes wrong. I'd end up with plan a-z.

So the plan again this time is see what happens.

April2013 Wed 02-Dec-15 21:18:13

Gas and air
Mobile
Constant monitoring
No need for epidural fingers crossed
Hopefully no need for pethidine

I was fairly out of it on epi and induction drip first time so this time I want to feel less of an invalid and not bed bound or faint but who knows!

fififolle Wed 02-Dec-15 21:21:41

My plan (second baby) is to not try to be too brave. I was induced with DS, thought I could do it all on gas and air. After every single pain barrier was broken, I had pethidine, still no dilation. I was against the CTG monitor, had that. Against epidural, had two. The epidural so helped me to fully dilate within 4 hours, then he was born by ventouse. This time, I've been dong pregnancy yoga and would love an active, natural birth but at the end of the day, I'll go with whatever I need to.

Bohemond Wed 02-Dec-15 21:23:36

I concentrated on preferences (pain relief in particular) and what ifs ie interventions. Basically the things I may not be able to explain from a position of pain or stress.

Runningupthathill82 Wed 02-Dec-15 21:50:35

Go to hospital, come home alive with healthy baby. DC2 here.

My birth plan with DS was a frankly hilarious work of fiction involving water, no pain relief, yoga, soft lighting, music and hypnobirthing techniques.

NoArmaniNoPunani Wed 02-Dec-15 21:51:51

what is physiological delivery?

Not having the injection to speed up delivery of placenta. It's not like I'm going anywhere, I'd rather let it come out by itself. The injection can cause sickness and lightheadedness and I've had enough of that this pregnancy!

1wokeuplikethis Wed 02-Dec-15 21:53:29

Aha! Thanks

Lucy61 Wed 02-Dec-15 21:55:57

Second baby too. No plan, just hope baby is healthy. Your really can't tell what will happen on the day. I don't think birth plans are very helpful; so much is out of our control and if all doesn't go to plan disappointment can set in. Just look forward to meeting your baby!

artisanroast Wed 02-Dec-15 21:56:16

My birth plan was simple

- epidural

I was given gas and air but couldn't really tolerate it. If made me feel nauseous so I didn't use it as I should have (I didn't want to feel nauseous and in excruciating pain).

I used breathing techniques mainly for the first bit. I also couldn't stand to be touched.

My plan for any further children (fingers crossed we have more) is again, epidural.

mumchkin Thu 03-Dec-15 08:50:19

Does anyone know why you have to specify delayed cord clamping? If it's so beneficial, why don't they just do it automatically for every birth?

SaveMeTheWaltz Thu 03-Dec-15 09:19:17

Another one here that thinks birth plans are slightly ridiculous, encouraging you to think that birth is a matter of choice when for many it will be outside of your control.

For DD1 the midwives encouraged me to write a long, detailed birth plan, which all went out of the window when I needed an induction followed by an EMCS three days later once DD went into distress.

For DD2 I went to a lot of effort trying to ensure that I would be allowed a 'natural' VBAC; had reduced movements a few weeks before my due date, and ended up with a grade 1 EMCS under general anaesthetic and a dead baby.

Third baby due next year: my birth plan will read "Get baby out alive please".

Pollyputhtekettleon Thu 03-Dec-15 09:29:10

mumchkin, for the most part midwives know its beneficial but if there ever was an industry reluctant to change, its the industry of delivering babies. Now many midwives are progressive and do a great job, but its always remarkable to me how set in their ways they can be about things. I find there seems to be no consistent top-down policy on a wide array of things surrounding labour and delivery and its down to the individual midwife.

The cord gets cut quickly for many reasons though. If the baby needs to be checked at all they have to cut and go, thats fair enough.

My current midwife when I said that I wanted to delay the cord cut said that she always tries to do that where possible anyway as it was the best for baby. But many other midwives either dont feel the same, don't think about it or are used to a certain way of doing things.

Thats my opinion on it anyway. So it is worth having it in your notes.

Chattymummyhere Thu 03-Dec-15 11:22:41

I didn't write one for my second and this one won't get written.

Homebirth sums up what I want though.

Will decide on the day if I want a water birth or not.

I only wrote my first birth plan when I was already in labour with my first I just make sure dh knows my wishes before hand and worst case I end up in hospital they can do whatever needed to get DD out safely.

Lozza1990 Thu 03-Dec-15 11:45:55

What jamtartandcustard said.

For some reason I thought interventions were rare and was all about my birthing ball and hypnobirth. I ended up labouring for 3 days, constant monitoring, an epidural etc. and barely even got to hold my baby before being rushed off to have antibiotics.

I would consider a home birth next time because I hate hospitals and certain midwives but don't want to set myself up for having something that might not be possible.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now