Advanced search

12 Week Scan

(18 Posts)
BelleMairead2 Wed 02-Dec-15 14:14:33

Do I need a full bladder?

MrsGlam Wed 02-Dec-15 14:50:39

Yes you need a full bladder smile

goodnightdarthvader1 Wed 02-Dec-15 16:46:42

Actually, it depends on which hospital you go to. Some require it, some don't. It should say on the paperwork for your scan from the hospital.

Jenijena Wed 02-Dec-15 16:47:49

They let me go out for a wee half way through...

TreeSparrow Wed 02-Dec-15 17:17:09

Not at my hospital, you didn't.

5hell Wed 02-Dec-15 17:22:04

better to go with a full bladder,then you can always go for a wee, than go empty and have to wait longer while you 'fill up' grin

mine was v v full and sonographer asked me to go for half a wee half way through mine - not as hard as i thought it'd be

enjoy!

strawberrypenguin Wed 02-Dec-15 17:23:56

I had mine last week and I didn't. But the hospital had obviously changed their policy because I did need to 4 years ago!
It said on my appointment letter - worth checking yours maybe? Or give them a call and ask?

Hamsolo Wed 02-Dec-15 17:27:17

Check your letter. I did in 2013, and don't this time around. Same hospital!

BelleMairead2 Wed 02-Dec-15 17:35:22

Thank you everyone. Nothing stated on my appointment letter but I'd heard it mentioned so I thought I would ask!

embarrasseddoesntcutit Wed 02-Dec-15 17:50:19

Mine said don't empty bladder for one hour before the appointment but not necessarily a full bladder. And they let me go to the loo half way through on all three scans I've had.

Chattymummyhere Wed 02-Dec-15 17:52:06

Mine didn't mention it but did recommend taking a bottle of water I'm guessing incase they then needed some fluid in there.

sepa Wed 02-Dec-15 18:20:29

I would go with a full bladder and ask when you get there. I needed a full bladder for mine I think it pushes the baby up into a easier place to see? I could be wrong though

Runningupthathill82 Wed 02-Dec-15 18:20:39

Mine said it on the appointment letter - I had to drink a pint of clear liquid before the scan and then not go for a wee til afterwards. There were also signs in the toilets in the hospital saying, essentially, "Going for a scan? If so, don't wee!"
I don't know if it's perhaps because my area has a higher than average obesity rate? Apparently if you're obese it can be harder to find the baby, and having a full bladder makes it easier. Or something.

bittapitta Wed 02-Dec-15 18:30:25

Mine specifically said on the letter that I didn't need a full bladder! Call and ask.

Kpo58 Wed 02-Dec-15 22:14:26

Mine asked for a full bladder, then they said that my bladder was too full. So I went and emptied it and they still couldn't see anything, so internal scan it was...

I think that they will always be able to find a way to scan you, one way or another!

princesspineapple Thu 03-Dec-15 07:15:06

We don't get letters in our area but it does say in the notes book that an hour before the scan you should drink about a pint of water and not go for a wee.
I also got sent out mid-scan to have half a wee... Which was okay until I went back in and she started pressing on my bladder again! My "magical" first view of my baby was slightly clouded by the fact I just had my eyes closed trying so hard not to wee on the bed! blush

kd83 Thu 03-Dec-15 12:40:12

You dont officially need a full bladder but it can help.

With my first I didnt (because we were waiting so long to go in I had to go for a wee) and they couldnt get all the measurements they needed so told me to go and have a bottle of water and come back.

This time I made sure I had a full bladder and apart from baby refusing to keep still it was much easier.

GoApeShit Thu 03-Dec-15 13:57:44

I also had a bladder that was too full. I turned up all smug having downed a couple of pints of water and immediately had to go and have a wee grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now