Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Flying at 25 weeks pregnant

(13 Posts)
alliemarg Wed 02-Dec-15 12:44:34

Hello, I am going to the US at 25 weeks pregnant in about three weeks, returning at 26.5. My question is, has anybody got a doctor's note just in case? The airline only requires one from 28 weeks and I'll have my notes to prove I am not that far gone, even if I do get massive (from baby and lots of yummy American food!)

I wondered if it was peace of mind in case of complications (i.e if we need to claim on insurance). However it has been a healthy pregnancy so far, with just a bit of extra monitoring because DD1 was born less than 5th centile (for no medical reasons, just happened to be small)

sparechange Wed 02-Dec-15 12:46:33

What does your insurance say? Does it say you need to be cleared by doctors to travel?

GiraffeHouse Wed 02-Dec-15 12:57:04

I flew at about the same time and my dim and distant memory tells me I didn't really need a note but I got one just in case, to state the number of weeks and that it was a healthy pregnancy. I didn't want to be refused on the flight home!
And I wore the anti-thromboembolism stockings on the flights

Diddlydokey Wed 02-Dec-15 13:00:09

I flew at 28 weeks IIRC. I just got a letter from my midwife confirming the EDD and that the pregnancy didn't have any complications.

I didn't have to show it to anyone though - I suspect that you'd need to be 8 months pregnant before they'd dare to ask.

alliemarg Wed 02-Dec-15 13:15:10

Hi sparechange - it just says you must not be travelling against doctor's advice (whether you asked for it or not) - so if there is a reason they'd refuse and you're aware of that and travel anyway it's bad. There has been nothing wrong with this pregnancy, I just wonder if the extra monitoring might make people think there has been...

MrsMarigold Wed 02-Dec-15 13:18:49

yes get a letter from the midwife and take your notes just in case.

I flew on easyjet at 35 weeks and had DD two weeks after and they asked to see my note and I was tiny.

sparechange Wed 02-Dec-15 13:22:02

I'd get a note to be on the safe side.
Insurance companies like to wriggle out of paying at any opportunity, so belt and braces is probably the way to go

lemon101 Wed 02-Dec-15 15:05:51

Hi,

I flew to New York at 26 weeks and didn't get a letter - what I did get were a lot of questions from ground crew (particularly in the States) about how far along I was. I answered honestly and wasn't pushed to produce any evidence (although I did have my notes with me just in case someone needed it).

When I flew again at 30 and 32 weeks within Europe I had absolutely no questions asked. I think if it is long-haul they are much more touchy!

alliemarg Wed 02-Dec-15 17:01:30

Thanks everyone - it sounds like it will probably be fine however a note from the doctor really wouldn't hurt, and if he had concerns it is better to know them now (sure he won't though)

Brummiegirl15 Wed 02-Dec-15 19:22:04

Who are you flying with? I flew with Virgin at 24 wks and home at 26 wks and they categorically said I didn't need a docs note as under 28 wks.

Insurance company (insure & go) said I mustn't be travelling against docs advise. That was it. I had my notes with my EDD on and that was it.

I did print out the email from Virgin special assistance confirming I didn't need a note but that was it

MrsSoDown Wed 02-Dec-15 19:28:42

I got a note for peace of mind. I went on a 10 hour flight at 26 weeks. I didn't need it but you never know if you are going to get a jobs worth

villainousbroodmare Wed 02-Dec-15 19:35:26

I was questioned at the gate on a long haul flight at 25 weeks (didn't need a letter at that stage), not at all within Europe at about 30 weeks despite having letter, and again questioned thoroughly and not in too friendly a manner at 36 weeks (long haul again). I was flying on the last possible day.

Make absolutely sure your letter is clear and correct. There was an error in mine - which would have put me within, not outside, regulations, but anyway...) and they made quite a big deal of arguing it.

JennyC520 Wed 02-Dec-15 19:41:41

I flew at about 25 weeks, I asked for a doctors note but noone checked at the airport or airline. I wasn't showing that much though.
I would suggest that you let the airline know that you're pregnant when you check in anyway. The cabin crew was not very helpful and seemed really irritated when I asked for help with the overhead compartments etc. I assume they couldn't visually see I was pregnant as I was quite small. I hate to make a scene just cos I'm pregnant but really, let them know, it makes life easier.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now