Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Reassurance about scan please

(8 Posts)
lilygirl81 Wed 02-Dec-15 10:16:59

Hi

I had an early scan yesterday, and the more I think about it the more worked up I am getting. I was originally booked in for tomorrow, which by my date calculation would have been me exactly 6 weeks. I had one sided pains so called the EPU, and the midwife did her own calculations, said I was 6 weeks yesterday so could go for a scan yesterday morning (by my calculations at 5+5)

They did an abdominal to start and the gestational sac showed up instantly, but they couldn't see anything inside it so they moved to a tv one. They spent a long time looking, said the gestational sac was measuring correct for 6 weeks, but they couldn't find a yolk sac. Finally, they thought they saw something, and managed to see the sac. Due to how the sac is positioned, it only showed up as 2 lines, and they couldn't get a view which showed it as a circle. They did seem confident that it was a good sac, but I've never heard of them not being able to see the whole outline. Also, they said they thought they could see the beginning of a fetal pole, but couldn't be certain.

I've now to wait 2 weeks for a re-scan to see if there is a baby, but I'm getting really worked up that things are not looking right for dates. Even if I was 5+5, shouldn't the fetal pole be fairly visible by now? I didn't get given a picture away with me, so can't show you what they saw.

April2013 Wed 02-Dec-15 12:33:57

Perhaps best to ring EPU up and ask more questions? As you are worried would they scan in 1 week instead? What do they say about the one sided pains? Does that need further investigation? The miscarriage association helpline also very good for all early pregnancy worries, whether you are having a miscarriage or not - though it sounds positive.

cloudjumper Wed 02-Dec-15 12:55:50

5-6 weeks is way too early to draw any conclusions from a scan - everything is so much in flux still! Scans around the 6-week mark are notoriously uncertain, you can't be sure about what you see/don't see, and it can cause unnecessary worry, as you have just experienced! Most hospitals will not scan you before at least 8 weeks for that reason.
Tough as it is, but sit out the 2 weeks until the next scan, when everything has progressed further and everything will be more certain. Good luck!

lilygirl81 Wed 02-Dec-15 13:00:53

Thanks April, I should have said that they found a small cyst on the left side which explains the pains and is nothing to worry about. They did say to call them if anything changes, and I'm seeing the midwife for my first appointment tomorrow so may see what she says and might ask about getting seen next week instead.

Cloudjumper, thank you for your comments, I guess I should focus on the main thing in that everything is in the right place and just wait for more information. I think another inconclusive scan would be harder to deal with.

Luckygirlcharlie Wed 02-Dec-15 13:45:51

If you Google or scroll down youll find loads of posts like this. At 5+ weeks all you can really hope for is the sac. I had one at 5 ish due to one sided pain and result was the same as yours. Another at 7/8 weeks showed the liltle chap and a heartbeat. This time didnt bother until 7 weeks when I got the same. DONT WORRY. I think it would be highly unusual to see anything more than youve seen at 5+5.

lilygirl81 Wed 02-Dec-15 14:01:03

Thanks Luckygirlcharlie I think it was when one of my apps said the baby was the size of a chocolate chip, and that just seemed so big to not be able to see anything! I have done a lot of googling in my lunch, so am feeling a bit better, and great to hear your story.

Luckygirlcharlie Wed 02-Dec-15 15:50:59

Hmm that sounds big - maybe a chocolate sprinkle!

lilygirl81 Wed 02-Dec-15 16:04:01

Maybe they have strange tiny chocolate chips, I should know better, this app said it was the size or an orange seed when everywhere else said sesame seed!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now