Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Being made redundant and 23 weeks pregnant!

(13 Posts)
Red193 Tue 01-Dec-15 10:33:15

I posted a while ago about how I felt I was a victim of pregnancy discrimination. I finally had someone in my office stand up for me. Long story short but company went into administration and now I have been made redundant and I'm only 23 weeks pregnant! From what I can tell I am entitled to maternity allowance at the same rate as SMP but just wondered if anyone else has been through this and can advise me of what I need to do next? Many Thanks

frillybiscuits Tue 01-Dec-15 10:35:26

Do you live with a partner? This affects what you can claim i.e JSA and income support

mummyagainin2016 Tue 01-Dec-15 10:35:45

This happened to me unfortunately. What may pay does your employer normally offer? What redundancy package will you get, or do they only offer statutory?

frillybiscuits Tue 01-Dec-15 10:35:56

www.gov.uk/maternity-allowance/overview smile

mummyagainin2016 Tue 01-Dec-15 10:37:44

You might be entitled to contributions-based JSA even if you live with a partner. That's limited to 6 months but that would be long enough for you. Not sure how Universal Credit is changing things though?

Red193 Tue 01-Dec-15 11:30:15

Partner works so I very much doubt I will ever entitled to much but he certainly doesn't earn enough to support 3 of us and we still have essential baby items to buy. I had only been with the company just over a year so very much doubt I will get any redundancy package. I'm just gutted. 2 more weeks and I would have still got my SMP q

Wishful80smontage Tue 01-Dec-15 11:33:56

I was made redundant from a job id been in 8 years at 18 weeks pregnant- so I wasn't entitled to mat leave from my organisation as I wasn't at the point I needed to be at. I got mat allowance- you can apply when you have the form from the midwife that says you're preg (can't think of name?) then send off your last 4 payslips with the app you can choose when you want it to start from I chose from 30 weeks and it was straightforward paid into bank account every 2 weeks.

Wishful80smontage Tue 01-Dec-15 11:34:55

Your allowance is based on your previous earnings OP

Red193 Tue 01-Dec-15 13:06:55

Thanks everyone! Now hunting payslips. I've missed out on SMP by 6 days

mummyagainin2016 Tue 01-Dec-15 13:08:00

You should be entitled to statutory redundancy at least. Your employer HAS to pay this if you qualify.

Contributions-based JSA is based on your previous NI contributions. I qualified on that basis despite my partner earning £40k+. You can claim it in pregnancy so long as you are actively seeking work. Redundancy payments don't usually affect it.

mummyagainin2016 Tue 01-Dec-15 13:11:08

Contribution-based JSA info: www.gov.uk/jobseekers-allowance/what-youll-get

Doesn't look like you'll qualify for statutory redundancy pay as you've worked there less than 2 years: www.gov.uk/redundant-your-rights/redundancy-pay

Wishful80smontage Tue 01-Dec-15 13:43:53

I don't think there's much difference between smp and mat allowance, there was a big difference between what I'd have got from my employers vs mat allowance but I was a long way off getting it anyway. Think if you look at the payments you'll see there won't be much difference

Red193 Tue 01-Dec-15 15:11:57

The difference is 6 weeks at 90% which would have been helpful. Job centre weren't very helpful and neither were HMRC but some paperwork has been sent out to me and should start getting money by the end of the month so hopefully we will be ok

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now