Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Bad cold\cough\sore throat in pregnancy

(6 Posts)
April2013 Tue 01-Dec-15 10:01:19

Anyone got any tips for managing this? GP says pregnancy lowers immune system and that's why it is such a bad cold, I haven't felt like this in about a decade I think! I'm on honey and lemon with hot water, paracetamol full adult dose per day. Propped up on lots of pillows overnight as that seems to help on the acid indigestion and coughing up phlegm front but still only sleeping a few hours a night because of sore throat pain and coughing. And my husband going away with work for weeks tomorrow sad and my toddler also poorly.

tinyme135 Tue 01-Dec-15 10:13:39

you can take honey lemon and glycerol. I have only just recovered from a bad cold chest infection that turned to a really bad virus. suck on soothers and also hot lemonade too. I can't recommend anything else

get well soon flowers

Hamsolo Tue 01-Dec-15 10:26:06

Olbas oil can help with congestion. I like to put my head over a bowl of water with a couple of drops and some boiling water. You can also put some on a tissue near your head at bedtime to reduce congestion.

But yes, it's miserable not being able to take anything that works!

Pollyputhtekettleon Tue 01-Dec-15 10:49:41

You are doing all you can. Next step is antibiotics if it is clearly a bacterial infection and you are so ill it's worse for baby being ill than taking antibiotics (I had them twice my last pregnancy for tonsillitis and chest infection that I put up with for weeks but got worse and worse).

If you use olbas oil be careful to keep the bottle away from your toddler. It's highly toxic.

April2013 Tue 01-Dec-15 11:41:11

Thanks so much smile

Coughing slightly less grim stuff up this morning so hopefully that is a good sign.

Chest infection and tonsillitis sounds bad poor you sad glad there are drugs available when this happens, I don't know how people managed pre NHS.

Hufflepuffin Tue 01-Dec-15 19:38:13

Boots do a value lemon paracetamol drink, I found it worked better than taking paracetamol as a tablet ink{http://m.boots.com/h5/cat\m.boots.com/h5/ca]]t}hub?unCountry=uk&path=/en/Boots-Value-Cold-Relief-Powdersr-5-Sachetss_1297456/ plus you can gargle with it to help your sore throat.

You can take one of the flavours of strepsils - can't remember which one though! Pp was right about glycerol, which helps throats, or any old boiled sweets help sometimes.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now