Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Accidentally misinformed consultant about my mum's preeclampsia

(7 Posts)
ToesAndFingersCrossed Mon 30-Nov-15 17:33:10

I am 19 weeks pregnant and it's an ICSI pregnancy so I was on consultant led care up until today. Had my consultant appointment today, he seemed happy and didn't think he would need to see me again.

I'm a bit anxious though because the only thing he did say we'd need to keep an eye on is my blood pressure because my mum almost died with preeclampsia when having me. He asked me if I knew at what stage in the pregnancy I was born and I said 36 weeks - because my mum had told me (I'd checked especially) I was 4 weeks early. He said that seemed pretty normal and they'd just monitor me later in pregnancy. I called her after the appointment to tell her everything was fine but when I mentioned this conversation she said "oh no dear, you were born at 33 weeks!". She was counting 4 weeks early from "term" at 37 weeks, not a proper 40 week pregnancy! I think 33 weeks is really rather early, and not in the normal range the consultant was referring to. Should I give him a call and let him know I got it wrong? Or the midwife? Or does it not really matter because they are keeping an eye on my blood pressure anyway?

Champagneformyrealfriends Mon 30-Nov-15 17:34:59

I'd let them know just in case. It may be inconsequential, but also it may not. Better safe than sorry! Xx

Djelibeyb Mon 30-Nov-15 17:37:56

I would tell them as there is a big diff between 33 weeks and 36 weeks in terms of monitoring.

sepa Mon 30-Nov-15 21:06:48

Yes I would tell him. 33 weeks is early to have a baby but 36/37 isn't classed as too early for a baby. I'm sure you will be fine but always better to have everything correct

ToesAndFingersCrossed Tue 01-Dec-15 11:35:05

Just to let you know I called the midwife because the consultant's phone kept ringing out, and she said she would let him know but not to worry - just because my mum had preeclampsia doesn't mean I will and they'll take my blood pressure any time I'm near a hospital anyway, so they'll monitor me very closely regardless.

Whew!

strawberryandaflake Thu 03-Dec-15 17:37:47

Really? I practically got forced into taking aspirin every day because my mum 'may' (hypochondriac) have had pre-ec with me.

Sleepingtom Fri 04-Dec-15 20:56:35

I don't remember being asked if my mum had had it. Is there a family link then? Best of luck anyway OP. I had it. They monitor like crazy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now