Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Should i get a sweep?? Did a sweep work for you?? 40+1 weeks

(7 Posts)
mrsjoker35 Mon 30-Nov-15 09:01:00

Hi, it was my due date yesterday, and im still baby-less lol....
Everything is ready waiting for her. Bag is sitting next to my car seat blah blah...

Ive got a widwife appointment today, usually it's busy at the clinic, would they even preform a sweep there, or would i need to make an appointment specifically to get one? I don't even know how far, or even IF my babies head is engaged, or if im dilated... I really would like someone to have a wee look down there blush

Did you get a sweep? Not to sound wimpy but. Is it unpleasant as it sounds? ... Oh shut up! Your about to squeeze a full sized baby out you some time soon grin

as odd as it sounds i feel more nervous about a sweep than labor haha!

putthePuffindown Mon 30-Nov-15 11:35:13

Watching thread with interest as I'm in same boat (40+3!). I was offered one for my last standard midwife appointment, but declined as it sounds horrible and I haven't seen much supporting evidence - however I'm starting to reconsider as I really want to be done and induction sounds worse!

RNBrie Mon 30-Nov-15 11:46:13

I had one useless yet extremely painful sweep with dd1. Declined a second one and then declined all internal exams with dd2.

They generally only work if you're more or less ready to go anyway and even then, its no guarantee. I found it more painful than the actual birth bit (maybe I just had a brute of a midwife...?)

At 40+1 you're only just overdue, I'd hang on a bit longer. If you fancy doing something then have some reflexology or acupuncture - they probably won't work either but they are a hell of a lot more enjoyable!!

Dixiechick17 Mon 30-Nov-15 11:57:25

I found that chatting to the midwife helped relax me during and made it less uncomfortable. My cervix was soft and favourable, so it was easier. I had the sweep on the Wednesday, had a bloody show and labour started on the Sunday. No idea if this was because of the sweep as I was already 3cm dilated and she could have stretched to 4cm.

Potterwolfie Mon 30-Nov-15 12:02:53

I had multiple sweeps with both babies, after 40 weeks. None of them worked, all were extremely uncomfortable; how did I feel? Think James Heriot with his arm up a birthing cow! I ended up being induced at 41+3 with first and 41+2 with second, waters had to be broken manually both times but labours were quick and pain relief free, 9 and 10lbs respectively.

BathshebaDarkstone Mon 30-Nov-15 12:05:36

Yes it worked for me. I was booked in for an induction but the sweep kicked things off. Good luck! smile

Pippa12 Mon 30-Nov-15 16:34:31

I had one- it was very uncomfortable and it didn't work. It made me feel physically sick and it was the first time in my whole pregnancy I took paracetamol. However, it was a different midwife to usual and she hurt me even just measuring me as she pushed so hard on my pelvis. I went naturally at 40+6 x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now