Talk

Advanced search

Help please trying to figure out date!

(19 Posts)
Dileas29 Sun 29-Nov-15 19:44:31

Hi first thread here!

Faint positive line on pregnancy test on Friday.
Husband and I DTD on 11th nov.
Blood test taken 16th Nov
Got a call from doctor receptionist on 18th to say I had ovulated this month but she couldn't give exact date.

Could this mean I conceived between 11th-16th Nov?

Seeing doctor tomorrow to confirm but just trying to figure out due date as I know sperm can hang about prior to ovulation in order to conceive? I have polycystic ovaries and haven't had period since July so can't judge by that

TIA

Champagneformyrealfriends Sun 29-Nov-15 19:47:39

5 weeks? That's very rough working out and I'm sure somebody will come along soon with a logical answer! Congrats flowers

purplewhale Sun 29-Nov-15 19:52:22

You could have ovulated before you DTD as the egg lives a short while, can't remember how long, 24-36 hours maybe

Dileas29 Sun 29-Nov-15 21:04:24

Thanks for this. I'm still in shock and don't think I'll believe it till the doctor confirms tomorrow. Have a clear blue test but holding off to ensure I get a result

FourForYouGlenCoco Sun 29-Nov-15 21:09:27

Congratulations! You're somewhere between 4 and 5 weeks depending on when you ovulated. Hold out a week or two and go for an early scan, that'll give you a clearer idea of dates.

purplewhale Sun 29-Nov-15 21:42:55

YY to early scan. We went for one at 7 weeks, it's the earliest a heartbeat is visible and dildocam not needed. It was the best £99 we spent in the whole pregnancy

Dileas29 Mon 30-Nov-15 10:04:33

Just had an awful morning, I'd previously phoned ahead of doctor appointment to request they took a pregnancy test, went in this morning with my sample and she wouldn't take the test as my "faint" home test should be enough to tell that I'm pregnant. Lovely. So got home with my pot of urine and got out the clear blue test. The test failed and showed a blank screen!! Phoned the company and they are sending out another but so gutted after getting my hopes up on both occasions. Gutted

Pollyputhtekettleon Mon 30-Nov-15 12:59:52

Dileas, I don't understand why you are gutted. You are pregnant. Your first test showed that. I also wouldn't be testing on an pot of pee from earlier. But why do you need to test again. Put the tests down and celebrate. Congratulations.

Pollyputhtekettleon Mon 30-Nov-15 13:01:00

As for dates, go by last known period (so first day of lkp to now is how many weeks you are) until your 12 week scan. At your 12 week, they will give you a new date quite likely.

FourForYouGlenCoco Mon 30-Nov-15 13:30:25

Polly, OP said earlier that her lmp was July so can't go by that!
But OP she is right about the tests. GPs by and large won't bother confirming pregnancy any more as home tests are just as reliable so not much point in them doing it too! Frustrating that the clear blue didn't work though. But just relax, early pregnancy involves lots of hanging around and minimal contact with HCPs.

Pollyputhtekettleon Mon 30-Nov-15 14:05:03

Oops, should have read the thread more carefully.

Pollyputhtekettleon Mon 30-Nov-15 14:09:11

So then I would expect you to be 4wks 4 days pregnant. Stick with that till your 12wk scan as it's even more likely to be accurate than last known period for most. I'm assuming sex om the 11th, ovulation on the 12th +2 weeks =4 weeks pregnant. Nobody ever can really be sure of exact timing of egg meets sperm or implantation or luteal phase but that should be as accurate as anyone is before the 12 wk scan.

Dileas29 Mon 30-Nov-15 16:03:04

That's great thanks all, I just really got my hopes up thinking she would confirm it and it would be more real! Hormones! We've to get in touch directly with midwives so will do that and get a date to see her probably 10 weeks? :-)

Pollyputhtekettleon Mon 30-Nov-15 20:12:16

Yes, around about then for your booking in and then 12 wks for the scan. When we got our first bfp my dh sat down and read the newspaper. I though it merited a little more excitement but was in shock myself so didn't comment. It was about 3 days later, with little mention of our incredible news? I discovered he thought you had to get a Dr to confirm it and the test was just a might be pregnant!

FourForYouGlenCoco Mon 30-Nov-15 20:28:45

Polly that's hilarious! It amazes me how little they understand how it all works, my DH is very similar grin
Dileas the early weeks of pregnancy are surreal! It's normal for it not to feel real. I'm currently 5.5 weeks and keep forgetting! Once you see a baby it sinks in a bit in my experience.

FourForYouGlenCoco Mon 30-Nov-15 20:29:17

As in see a baby on a scan, not deliver one! That would be a long wait for reality to set in grin

toohardtothinkofaname Mon 30-Nov-15 20:35:40

I wouldn't pay for an early scan. Just truthfully tell them last LMP date & chances are they'll book you in for one soon. I had irregular cycles & my '12 week scan' was when I was 7 weeks so scored with seeing bean twice grin

Dileas29 Mon 30-Nov-15 21:30:11

Nice! Yeah I was just saying to my husband it's sinking in a bit more I think! Fourforyouglencoco that's good to know it's not just in your head 24/7 it's a bit exhausting constantly thinking about it!

Champagneformyrealfriends Mon 30-Nov-15 21:56:17

Polly when I told my DH about my 2 BFP's he just replied "well we don't know anything until we go to the doctor do we." grin I had to explain that 2 positive pregnancy tests basically means you're pregnant.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now