Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

labour advice regarding forceps/suction cap/ Episiotomy

(24 Posts)
GeorgiaT2468 Sun 29-Nov-15 10:27:14

Hiya all,

Just wondered if any of you have experienced the above?

I'm pregnant 38 weeks with my 3rd and other two labours didn't require them however I'm worried should this occur what should I expect? Can I refuse any of them or will the choice be taken away from me? Can I refuse to be treat by a certain midwife if I don't like her?

Just pre labour concerns but I'd like some reassurance/knowledge please.

Thank you xx

goodnightdarthvader1 Sun 29-Nov-15 10:44:33

Why do you think this will be a problem for your third?

Runningupthathill82 Sun 29-Nov-15 10:50:05

I've experienced all of these. The ventouse failed on two attempts, so I had an episiotomy and DS then came out with forceps.
Not sure if I could have refused or not, but quite honestly I didn't have much choice - DS was very distressed and needed to be out immediately.
The recovery was awful but - as a pp said - surely it's less likely that you'll need intervention with a third anyway?

GeorgiaT2468 Sun 29-Nov-15 10:51:26

Because after my second got stuck, they said it's likely to happen again as I have big babies, they suggested if this one got stuck the above would be possible options? Like its a possible option for anyone I guess but I'm just a tad nervous now after hearing some horror stories about what it's all like ect confused xx

GeorgiaT2468 Sun 29-Nov-15 10:53:32

Wow bless ya!!

Midwife has frightened me a bit xx

CoodleMoodle Sun 29-Nov-15 11:10:51

I had a ventouse/episiotomy when I had DD. Like PP, DD was distressed and needed out IMMEDIATELY. I had pre eclampsia which didn't help as I was getting worse as well. It wasn't nice at the time but it had to be done. (Main issue for me was I was told by the doctor who did it all that I couldn't press my epidural button, then was told later by another doctor that I should've done... I was angry about that for a long time.)

My friend refused to have an episiotomy when she really needed one, and she ended up tearing and suffered for a long time. Still is, and her DD is 4! I would definitely rather an episiotomy!

Good luck OP, hope it all goes well.

frangipani13 Sun 29-Nov-15 11:16:24

I had an episiotomy and forceps delivery as my baby was stuck and in distress. When confronted with these factors you definitely put your baby's needs first and whilst it was far from ideal I wouldn't have refused it. The epidural was brilliant so I didn't feel a thing. Recovery took a few weeks but have healed remarkably quickly and well

amitha Sun 29-Nov-15 11:16:35

I think you need to wait and see what happens, if you ask this kind of thing now no doubt lots of horror stories will be posted and you'll end up terrified! You don't have to do anything you don't want to, usually these methods are brought in when the baby has to be gotten out quickly for one reason or another so though you may not "want" it, it's what needs to happen. I had one "stuck" baby out with forceps, but my second much larger baby came out by himself no bother. Speaks volumes for my parts!

tuilamum Sun 29-Nov-15 11:24:17

I had an episiotomy and forceps after pushing for nearly 3 hours and DD wasn't even crowning! Couldn't have ventouse as DD has swelling on top of her head. The procedure itself was painful, yes, but over pretty quickly. I had a rough recovery with my stitches but that was just me, I know plenty of people who recovered very quickly.
The only thing I would say is its a bit of a shock! You go from no sign of baby to baby being born and in your arms in just a few minutes. (DP said it was about 5-10 minutes but it only felt like about 2 to me)

purplefizz26 Sun 29-Nov-15 11:31:14

I had forceps, an episiotomy and a tear.

It obviously wasn't a pleasant experience but I was stitched up and recovered just fine. My baby probably wouldn't have survived without assistance delivering, but I did have to sign consent forms before going to theatre which I suppose means they can't force you.

These are options usually only used in emergencies, where for whatever reason baby needs to be delivered immediately or where baby has no hope of delivering unaided. I'm not sure where that would leave you if you refused the procedure? Would you prefer a Caesarean in an emergency situation?

I would suggest speaking to your midwife and having a birthing plan to outline your preferences.

KatyN Sun 29-Nov-15 16:28:35

Another one who had an episiotomy and ventouse. Not given the option as baby was in distress.. In fact half the room (filled with about 20 medical professionals) thought we were going for a c-section.
However I think you can definitely say you don't like one mw.. Maybe not in your notes so she doesn't see but in person when you are admitted.

Oh and I donMy think I suffered from my episiotomy and ventouse especially.. Not anymore than any other friends did who had 'natural' labours.

SerenityReynolds Sun 29-Nov-15 16:36:45

I had a venteuse because I was knackered and had been pushing for over 2 hours. They were standing by to do the episiotomy if it looked like I was going to tear through the back passage too, but they didn't need to in the end. The venteuse was painless and absolutely fine - by then though, I just wanted to be finished! I have had mild prolapse symptoms in this latest pregnancy but I put that down to lengthy pushing on my back rather than the venteuse.

Friendlystories Sun 29-Nov-15 16:42:53

I had an emergency forceps delivery with DD and managed a third degree tear in addition to the episiotomy. No pain relief either, did the lot on 2 paracetamol. Quite honestly I couldn't have cared less what they did to me by then, DD was really distressed and all that mattered was getting her out safe. The after effects were nowhere near as bad as I feared and I healed quickly with no significant lasting damage. My midwife was vile but there was no one else available so just had to get on with it. Don't let them scare you, you will cope whatever happens if it means your baby is safe.

Didiusfalco Sun 29-Nov-15 16:48:16

I had all of these too, and had to have a subsequent operation and have been left with some mild ongoing health issues. I have wondered since whether I could have put on my birth plan that if things did not progress I wanted a csection rather than forceps - im not sure, but possibly something you could ask your midwife. If the baby is in distress them obviously it needs to be out quick, but having had a csection since I can tell you that it is preferable to a bad episiotomy.

DimpleHands Sun 29-Nov-15 18:22:24

With DS I had a ventouse and episiotomy (had to get him out ASAP as he was very distressed). He had a nasty mark on his head for a few weeks and my stitches were uncomfortable for a while but otherwise all OK.

With DD, I had a ventouse as I had been pushing for a while (I actually asked for one as I was panicking and wanted her out!). It was only on for three contractions and left a small mark. 2nd degree tear - fewer stitches than with episiotomy.

Had an epidural for both and do wonder if I could have avoided ventouse if hadn't (and hadn't been flat on my back). But ultimately I couldn't deal with the pain without one!

Husbanddoestheironing Sun 29-Nov-15 18:29:13

Have had episiotomy twice (to prevent tear in 'awkward place') and for me personally it was nothing like as bad as I had feared. Ventouse with first too- just wanted him out by that stage, so not an issue after 4 hours of trying to push. Even with 'audience' of about 20 by that point blush

twirlypoo Sun 29-Nov-15 18:37:16

Ds was in distress and I was told we need to get him out now. Crash team was called and I had episootomy and kelloid forceps (no pain relief - grim!) I didn't get to consent as it happened so fast, but there was no way I could have refused consent anyway as my baby would have died. There wasn't another alternative as it was an emergency - so whilst it wasn't pleasant, my baby was safe and so was i.

Raxacoricofallapatorius Sun 29-Nov-15 18:38:07

After 8hrs at fully dilated, DD was distressed so they gave me an episiotomy and 3 attempts at the ventouse. She was too stuck and too high for forceps so had an emcs when the cup didn't work. Recovery was fine for me. DD had a torn scalp and a lot of bruising but some of that was a long and tough labour in a bad position. At the time I didn't care. I just wanted dd out and safe.

northernlassy24 Sun 29-Nov-15 18:50:55

I recently had my first and ended up with forceps and an episiotomy in theatre, if that didn't work I was ready prepped for surgery so they could act right away as baby was distressed.

Luckily they managed to pull him out. Truthfully the recovery was long and extremely painful.

When you are in a scary situation you would do anything do make sure the baby arrives safely so I wouldn't worry about it now. I'd go through it all again a million times for him. I certainly wouldn't refuse what they reccommended because they are the professionals and getting the baby out healthy is the main priority and they will do whatever they need to xx

Wishful80smontage Sun 29-Nov-15 18:54:34

I had an episiotomy too due to baby in distress it was absolutely fine honestly. I've had no problems whatsoever with the stitching and recovery since but know a few people who tore and still have ongoing issues.

Pollyputhtekettleon Mon 30-Nov-15 13:21:24

I had all the above and it wasn't great but you do what you have to. I don't think they'd be suggesting it if there was an alternative. Recovery was harder but anything can happen in labour and I'd say a forceps delivery is easier to recover from than a cs.

I also think that in 20 yrs time our children will be agast at the use of forceps at all, they are barbaric. But labour and delivery is stuck in the victoriana age anyway.

WtfWasThis Mon 30-Nov-15 16:10:46

I refused kielland forceps and had a c section. No regrets at all. It wasn't an emergency situation, DS just hadn't descended and was back to back.

You always, always have the right to consent or decline any procedure, no matter what the consequences. I get what people are saying about emergency situations where we would all consent to anything that has to be done to save baby's life, but it's worth thinking about your preference in a non-emergency scenario where its a viable option to decline an assisted delivery in favour of cs. I hadn't thought about it in advance and effectively made my choice while off my head on gas and air and to the surprise of the medical team - so I'd put it on a birth plan and make sure they know.

GeorgiaT2468 Mon 30-Nov-15 16:36:55

Ok guys thank you very much.

I do feel comfortable I could make some decisions. Although I would always put our lives first regardless.

I just want to not end up having an anxiety attack (which currently due to pregnancy in not taking my medication for) if I'm forced to do things I don't feel comfortable with if you know what I mean.


DancingLady Mon 30-Nov-15 17:15:16

Have you discussed the option of elective c-section? Could ease your anxiety. I had forceps, epesiotomy and tear and blood transfusion, and recovery took a long time. This time I am having a c-section and feel happier with my choice.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: