Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Scared I have caused harm

(13 Posts)
applesvpears Sat 28-Nov-15 23:12:16

I have today spent 2 hours cleaning my old flat and I used detol, air freshener, hob cleaner, disinfectant and a little bit of bleach. Now I have a dreadful cough and it hurts when I breath. I am 23 weeks pregnant and I am so worried I may have harmed my baby. She hasn't moved at all tonight either. Can anyone advise? Please I am really concerned.

Wolfiefan Sat 28-Nov-15 23:14:27

Cleaning and products you mentioned shouldn't cause harm.
Do you have asthma?
Re movement. Get a really cold drink and see if that gets movement going.

applesvpears Sat 28-Nov-15 23:17:01

Thank you for replying Wolfie. I don't have asthma. I have tried a cold drink and still nothing. I thought she may have loved earlier but because I am worried I am convincing myself I have imagined it.

applesvpears Sat 28-Nov-15 23:18:19

Moved earlier I mean

Wolfiefan Sat 28-Nov-15 23:18:51

Bleach makes me struggle to breathe. That's why I asked about asthma.
Babies can shift and then it is hard to feel movement.
Can you contact MW if you are worried?

Cirsium Sat 28-Nov-15 23:24:00

Alongside other work and cleaning my own home regularly I did about 6 hours of professional domestic cleaning a week throughout my pregnancy with DD last year. I used similar products to you and although I tried to avoid breathing in sprays did occasionally get a bit coughy, especially cleaning showers (4 in one house!). I worked up to 37 weeks (it was a bit rubbish by that point, but allowed me to have a longer mat leave). DD is absolutely fine.

Sure everything is OK, but I would try to take it a bit easier for a while, just for your own sake, and give your midwife/GP a shout if you continue to feel unwell.

Wolfiefan Sat 28-Nov-15 23:26:07

Are you on your own? If you are struggling to breathe do you need help?

Cirsium Sat 28-Nov-15 23:27:19

Check out Count the Kicks site for advice on movement. I think 23 weeks is quite early to have a really established pattern but generally advice is to call midwife if you are worried. If only to set your own mind at rest. I honestly don't think your cleaning will have caused any harm though.

applesvpears Sat 28-Nov-15 23:33:06

I am not on my own, OH is here. And I'm not struggling to breathe, it just feels 'chesty' when I do (if that makes sense) with lots of coughing. I think I just felt a little movement just then. Fingers crossed. Cirsium that has given me some reassurance, thank you. I have a doctors appointment anyway Monday morning if I am no better I will speak with him.

Wolfiefan Sat 28-Nov-15 23:35:25

Glad you aren't alone.
If the cold drink was slightly chilled then try an ice lolly or similar. Remember babies don't kick all day and all night.
If concerned do seek medical advice. I'd say this is a perfect reason to avoid all cleaning for the foreseeable.
Take it easy. X

SleeptightDaisy Sat 28-Nov-15 23:38:23

Its hard but try and lie down and relax you may then feel baby move. But if you think your baby has stopped moving or its movements have changed either more or less then phone your midwife or the midwife maternity unit at the hospital they definitely won't mind you ringing. If you've had no movement tell them and get checked. I went in when I hadn't felt my baby move all morning and as soon as they put me on a monitor I started to feel her moving. But they didn't mind I'd gone in and really didn't need to be there even though I did feel guilty about taking up their time.

GirlSailor Sun 29-Nov-15 07:24:55

I hope you've since felt movement and your mind has been put at rest.

Those cleaning products won't have hurt your baby at all so the lack of movement won't be connected.

At 23 weeks the baby is still small enough that it can move into a position where you won't feel it so it's likely you will feel movement again soon. And if you're moving about a lot it can send them to sleep so you being busy may explain that. If you're still worried then the MW may ask you to come in for monitoring and they will do all the usual checks.

applesvpears Mon 30-Nov-15 18:23:01

I just want to say thank you so much for everyone's kind reassurance yesterday. I am happy to report that she is a moving and a grooving again smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now