Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Feeling uncomfortable and.. leaky? after perineum massage.

(10 Posts)
JennyC520 Sat 28-Nov-15 18:30:02

I'm almost 35wks and thought i'd try the perineum massage last night.
I used perineum massage oil, propped one leg up and tried to do the massage. It's a lot harder to do than it sounded... maybe TMI, but with my thumb inside, my vagina just felt all tight and... lumpy? I tried to do the 'U' shape.. but it wasn't a smooth ride cos it felt lumpy inside. it didn't hurt..but it didn't sting either like it's supposed to... just felt uncomfortable so I stopped after a while.
Since this, my vagina has been feeling a bit uncomfortable.. and i have a sensation as if something is leaking from there.. like discharge or urine? There doesn't seem to be any discharge on my liners though.
I'm worried i'v cut myself inside, or given myself an infection by doing it wrong or something.
Has anyone else had this sensation?
I'm going to stop trying for a couple days...

Kaytee1987 Mon 30-Nov-15 12:22:01

What is the purpose of a perineum massage?

zzzzz Mon 30-Nov-15 12:26:03

Presumably whoever told you to do this could advise?

Whatevva Mon 30-Nov-15 12:34:54

Perhaps, just familiarise yourself with perineum, perineal body, what needs to stretch etc and finding them on yourself before embarking on the massage.

What is in the massage oil?

In the past, a warm bath and wheatgerm oil was recommended.

You can get natural waterbased lubricants for meno which are supposed to not irritate, like Yes, Sylk. (see internet).

TreeSparrow Mon 30-Nov-15 17:49:47

Your fanny will feel different to bring non-pregnant so I wouldn't worry too much. It's totally normal for it to be puffy. So long as you're using a vegetable based oil you'll be fine, e.g. olive, sunflower, or almond oil. It's not easy to do in late pregnancy as it's difficult to reach!

feeona123 Mon 30-Nov-15 22:04:00

It's not meant to sting

bittapitta Mon 30-Nov-15 22:11:58

Sounds like you were putting your thumb a bit far in?? But fwiw my NHS antenatal classes led by an experienced midwife suggested perineum massage was something to keep your mind busy but made negligible difference when pushing the equivalent of a watermelon out wink

Whatevva Tue 01-Dec-15 10:46:31

I had lots of stitches the first time and did massage for my second birth and had none grin.

However, I had my perineum rebuilt 20 years later. I expect the lack of tearing was because it was knackered the first time round wink.

Usually No harm trying though smile

JennyC520 Thu 03-Dec-15 14:49:42

ahh, Maybe I am putting my thumb too far in... I have no idea... I've read loads of websites on how to do it and asked my midwife.. she seems to be suggesting the way I was doing it. and she said the discharge is normal. Meh.. wanted to give this a go to avoid tearing! I'd try anything to avoid that!

bittapitta Thu 03-Dec-15 15:50:17

I tore a little first time, lots of women do, stitched up fine, no lasting damage.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now