Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Experiences of sweeps

(31 Posts)
Niki18 Sat 28-Nov-15 09:45:30

Am having a sweep done next Wednesday and was just wondering people's experiences and if it's actually worth it. Will be 39 +6 when have it and just unsure weather to wait and let things naturally happen or give it ago, have heard it can be very uncomfortable.

KatyN Sat 28-Nov-15 10:40:02

Mine were both very uncomfortable. Worse than a smear. But very quick.

They did nothing for me and I was induced at 40+11 but I would be tempted to try them again this time round.

Dixiechick17 Sat 28-Nov-15 10:51:37

Both of mine were uncomfortable but bearable. The first done at 37 weeks, so I wasn't surprised it didn't work. The second was fine as my cervix was favourable and could be stretched to 3-4cm. It caused a bloody show and my DD arrived s four days later. Not sure if that had anything to do with the sweep.

Ughnotagain Sat 28-Nov-15 12:18:49

I had one the day after my contractions had already started (it was booked in anyway so thought might as well). It hurt like fuck and didn't speed anything up!

ODog Sat 28-Nov-15 12:38:48

I had 2. One at 40+1 and one at 40+8. Both times mw said cervix was unfavourable. Waters broke early hours 40+9, DS arrived 40+10.

WanderingTrolley1 Sat 28-Nov-15 12:39:56

I had one with week-overdue dc. It made not a jot of difference.

IamSantaClaus Sat 28-Nov-15 12:41:58

Mine didn't hurt at all and my waters broke on the way home from the hospital . Good luck !

Niki18 Sat 28-Nov-15 12:42:14

Thanks everyone, think will give it ago as no harm in trying even if it does hurt like hell

Loki17 Sat 28-Nov-15 17:11:07

Mine didn't hurt but was uncomfortable. I was already 1-2 cm dilated but nothing was happening. It worked and got me started.

Utterlyclueless Sat 28-Nov-15 17:12:40

I had 5 pointless sweeps but everyone is different I suppose!

Ughnotagain Sat 28-Nov-15 18:12:59

Tbh it probably depends on your midwife. The examinations I had at the hospital weren't nearly as painful as the sweep.

BuggerLumpsAnnoyed Sat 28-Nov-15 19:13:58

I didn't find them uncomfortable particularly. It really helps if you relax. I had mine Thursday 4:30pm went into Labour Fri 5:30 am and by 6:30am had my baby whose lying on my lap in a newborn boon frenzy now!*

shitwithsugaron Sat 28-Nov-15 20:05:28

I had one at 40+1, it was agony. I felt like a piece of meat on the bed. But I was already 1-2cm dilated and didn't know so this may have been why it hurt so bad. I bled very heavily following as well (she said it was normal..but the clots did frighten me a lot)
My midwife was also touching DD's head while doing the sweep and talking to me about it the whole time (vomit)
So no I don't think it brought me on as I was already technically in labour but it may have sped things up as DD was born 23 hours later.

DontBuyANewMumCashmere Sat 28-Nov-15 20:14:43

I had two failed sweeps, MW said she couldn't even do the job as my cervix wasn't ready.
Eventually I went into labour 40+12 so I'm not sure they did anything to help.
I'm also sure they don't actually hinder anything either, so can't see the harm in it.

The first one was more painful than I was expecting but I stopped myself complaining to MW in time, thinking 'with any luck a baby will be coming out of there in a few days. Don't complain about a couple of fingers!'

DontBuyANewMumCashmere Sat 28-Nov-15 20:18:17

Oh yes and the second time the MW said 'oh I can feel hair, the baby's got lots of hair' and it really freaked me out. It was the first time I really felt like the baby was human... which sounds stupid. Before that it was just a featureless, genderless "baby".
Now it had HAIR! she did have shitloads of hair

MrsSoDown Sat 28-Nov-15 20:38:03

Pointless sweeps. If offered again Id decline

Pollyputhtekettleon Sat 28-Nov-15 20:41:14

My only sweep wasn't sore to do but after I felt awful. Walking around was painful and uncomfortable and I also felt queasy. It didn't lead to anything other than major discomfort down below for a day or so. I could have lived without that.

RatOnnaStick Sat 28-Nov-15 20:41:50

Both times mine were painless and labour started 9 hours and 21 hours later respectively.
Whether the sweep sped anything up is debatable though. The fact that they were painless suggests to me I was ready to go anyway.

Ughnotagain Sat 28-Nov-15 21:17:45

God yes I just remembered mine said she could feel baby's hair as well. But then she also said I was 3cm dilated and that she was sure I'd be having baby that afternoon.

I did go to hospital that day but was back to 2cm and baby didn't emerge until two days later...so make of that what you will!

mrsm1984 Sat 28-Nov-15 21:26:26

I was induced with DC1 after two failed sweeps. With DC2 I had a sweep at 40+5 and he was born the next day. I do think the sweep did something as Id had absolutely no signs beforehand, but had some bleeding and cramping a few hours after the sweep. I didn't find it particularly uncomfortable, but it's not pleasant!

sharonthewaspandthewineywall Sat 28-Nov-15 23:54:51

Mine appeared to work but I'd already been having contractions albeit ineffective ones for a few days before so who knows?

DimpleHands Sun 29-Nov-15 18:30:38

I found mine really painful I'm afraid! But then I do have a tilted uterus and so my cervix is apparently hard to reach.

I wouldn't have one again unless I was 40+12 and it was looking like a chemical induction might otherwise be required, i.e. I'd do it again as a last resort. I do think they can help things along.

SallyStarbuck Sun 29-Nov-15 18:36:35

It was... personal, to say the least. We'd only had our new bed delivered a week or so beforehand so I think technically the midwife 'christened' it blush

It was uncomfortable but not painful. Didn't achieve much though. I'd still take the offer again if I ever went for a VB.

ingenvillvetavardukoptdintroja Sun 29-Nov-15 18:37:17

Didn't find mine painful. Had one at 6 days over and one at 10, breathing exercises throughout helped.
Went into labour two and a half days later but don't know if it was that or the 3 mile walk the day before....
I really wanted to avoid induction so thought I'd give it a go. It's all a bit hit and miss

northernlassy24 Sun 29-Nov-15 18:41:37

Had mine at 39+6. Caused a bloody show and labour pains started less than 48 hours later, although the midwife said I was already 2-3cm at the time. Not sure if it helped speed things along but I would do it again, by that point I would have tried anything to get the baby out I'd had enough of pregnancy! It didn't hurt me either but I know everyones experiences are different.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now