Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Water birth- what to wear?

(21 Posts)
Newlywed123 Fri 27-Nov-15 13:50:31

Sounds silly but does anyone have any recommendations on something comfortable which covers you up during a water birth?

With my last pregnancy my midwife didn't do a birthing plan with me (didn't know I could have a water birth) so didn't take a costume. I ended up just wearing my bra and didn't take a Big towel. I was in and out of the pool for about 12 hours using the toilet and trying to get things going, due to not being covered it was rather embarrassing. So this time I want to be covered!

I don't have a big budget smile

BexusSugarush Fri 27-Nov-15 14:09:25

I'm also considering this question, and I think a tankini top might be the best option, although everyone will tell you that once you're there you won't care if you're naked. Maybe flipflops for when you get in and out of the pool? Also subtly pack swim trunks for your partner incase you can coax him into the birthing pool ;)

whatsoever Fri 27-Nov-15 16:08:48

I didn't wear anything in there but did take a big towel and flip flops for trips to the loo etc.

I took a couple of vest tops as I thought I would want to be a bit covered up up top but I couldn't be bothered when it came to it. I think they would have done the trick if I'd have felt exposed though.

LibrariesGaveUsP0wer Fri 27-Nov-15 16:11:32

If you think you might be in and out again I'd take a towelling robe and a towel.

I'm not sure that there is much that will cover you that won't feel yucky (think how irritating a wet t shirt is when it sticks to you).

It could be a lot quicker this time though. I have had two water births, first I wore a bikini top and second I just stripped off!

Killairno Fri 27-Nov-15 16:13:19

I was naked for mine.

Came into hospital in whatever I was wearing...leggings, knickers and a tunic, I think.

the bottoms came off for the examination to see how far I was along and I traipsed from triage to the labour room with a sheet wrapped around my bottom half!

I laboured in a vest top for ages and then just took that off when it was time to get into the pool.

SoupDragon Fri 27-Nov-15 16:15:47

I wore a support vest top, so kind of like a tankini.

I had a dark towelling robe for if I had to get out.

purplefizz26 Fri 27-Nov-15 16:17:04

String Bikini bottoms for quick removal when necessary!smile

Tfoot75 Fri 27-Nov-15 19:20:16

I'm usually very modest but wore nothing and couldn't have cared less. I even had to move rooms at one point and two midwives just shuffled along between the two doors holding up sheets, I was so beyond putting anything on or caring! I'll probably take a crop top bra to wear this time but fully expect when the times comes I just won't care. I only got out once to be examined and change to a room with proper birth pool though and apart from that was pushing the whole time.

toohardtothinkofaname Fri 27-Nov-15 19:36:48

Our birthing centre have little pots so you don't have to get out of the pool to pee. They discourage it because pain can increase & you might crumble quicker for pain relief

Jibberjabberjooo Fri 27-Nov-15 21:02:21

I didn't wear anything, it wasn't my intention but it just ended up that way. I couldn't have cared less, I just wanted the baby out!

Pollyputhtekettleon Fri 27-Nov-15 21:09:32

A string vest, maternity one so it's nice and long. I went nude but it was very quick so no getting in and out.

Jelly101 Fri 27-Nov-15 21:19:39

I had a water birth with my DS as the pool room was the only one available at the time. I too wasn't prepared for one, and ended up just wearing my bra. This time around I'd like another Waterbirth but I would like to be more covered so that I don't feel as exposed. I'm thinking a really baggy t-shirt or something. Although, I might just go for a costume as I don't know whether the fabric clinging to me would annoy me. Especially if I had to get in and out like I did previously hmm

museumum Fri 27-Nov-15 21:24:38

I have big boobs which is have hated to be flopping about. I wore a long maternity tankini top.

museumum Fri 27-Nov-15 21:25:56

I didn't go in to the mlu till 8cm though so no getting in and out etc.

Havalina1 Fri 27-Nov-15 22:11:54

I started in just a bikini top, one I already had. Spent ages in the pool. Got out for a bit, cannot remember why, oh perhaps to be checked. Labour kicked off suddenly,!waters went etc and aides urge to push, I got straight back in never thought about what to wear. I think I was fully naked second time.

I had to get out again as baby got stuck so didn't actually deliver in the water, but definitely don't wear bottoms. Good luck!

Yarpyarp Fri 27-Nov-15 23:04:52

Vest top, bikini bottoms Just wrapped a towel round for loo trips, because I was soaking and in that moment couldn't think about drying off or doing anything other than make it to the loo and back as quick as possible (I was at home)

Recommend big towels, dressing gown and wear bottoms to start with if you're more comfortable being covered up.

brokencrayons Sat 28-Nov-15 20:09:25

I plan on going naked grin

Chattymummyhere Sat 28-Nov-15 20:15:17

What about bikini/tanking top and a swimming skirt without the pants bits?

I planned a water birth lady time at home and was going to be naked apart from bikini top but she came too fast.

ALR123 Sat 28-Nov-15 21:17:10

I'm planning on a water birth too and went to a class the other day. My boobs have grown so none of my bikinis fit me and I didn't want to buy one just for this.
Ended up going to Matalan and buying a sports style support crop top which is like a bra but more of a racer back. It was £7 I think and I'm really happy with it.
Have also bought a black vest top too smile

LibrariesGaveUsP0wer Sat 28-Nov-15 21:19:23

If you want clothes, do think of something that is easy to get either off or down if you want to breastfeed! It's not the time to be wrestling your way out.grin

Newlywed123 Sun 29-Nov-15 20:53:20

I went in at 6cm, it took me 13 hours to have her from then. I had to keep getting out due to contractions stopping as I was too relaxed.

Thank you for the replies, will definitely want to be better covered. Going to pack a big towel and see what tankinis are on offer after Christmas smile hopefully my Labour will be quicker this time so I won't have to get out!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now