Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

North Manchester General

(10 Posts)
Junosmum Thu 26-Nov-15 12:39:02

Hello,

Any one with any experience of the above hospital? Do you know if they have any private rooms on the postnatal ward (for a charge or otherwise?) and how you would book these?

The AIBU thread on men on postnatal wards has absolutely terrified me to the point where I am also in tears and hyperventilating (I'm usually pretty calm/ unfazed).

I'm consultant-led so no MLU/ homebirth option available to me.

Wineandpopcorn Thu 26-Nov-15 12:42:28

Do you mean St Mary's?

Junosmum Thu 26-Nov-15 12:48:16

No, North Manchester General Hospital, it's different to St Mary's

Wineandpopcorn Thu 26-Nov-15 12:51:07

Ah sorry haven't heard of that one, I am at St Mary's!

Junosmum Thu 26-Nov-15 12:54:33

That was an option for me but I didn't fancy trying to get across town in rush hour if I needed to!

BlueBananas Thu 26-Nov-15 12:57:53

I had a baby there 3 weeks ago, yes there are private rooms on the postnatal ward, not sure how they're allocated and/or if you can book
But nobody is allowed on the ward overnight, you're allowed one person there anytime between 10am & 8pm and are allowed visitors at normal visiting hours (2-4pm I think & 6-8pm) but everyone must leave by 8pm
A guy in the next bay from me tried to stay by just shutting the curtains and a midwife came and told him to leave and actually walked him out
So try not to worry
If everything goes ok you'll be in & out without a stay on the ward anyway

Junosmum Thu 26-Nov-15 13:20:30

Thank you bluebanana, that has really put my mind at ease.

BlueBananas Thu 26-Nov-15 13:41:43

Oh good I'm glad I could help smile
Pregnancy is such a worrying time already you don't need that hanging over you
Good luck with everything flowers

Brummiegirl15 Thu 26-Nov-15 15:01:40

The only thing about private rooms is that yes you can pay for them. But if someone comes in that needs one, you will get asked to leave. And not charged obviously!

I had a delivery suite tour at Worcester and specifically asked about this. They are chargeable at £180 per night but should another woman need it (women with babies in neonatal get priority) then I was told I would have to vacate it.

I imagine it's very similar at other hospitals. Have you had a tour? I definitely recommend it

Junosmum Thu 26-Nov-15 17:54:32

I have had a tour and didn't even to think to ask, I hadn't really thought about it at that point.

I'm hoping it's an uncomplicated birth and I'm out quickly, but you never know.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now