Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

35/37 weeks - nights are a nightmare

(21 Posts)
BexusSugarush Wed 25-Nov-15 09:13:03

I am somewhere between 35 and 37 weeks (don't ask) and I am awake literally once every hour at night to pee. In-between those hours I get leg cramps, strong kicks from baby, dehydration and severe pains in my thigh from lying badly. I sleep with both a maternity pillow for support and a duvet underneath me for cushioning but neither make a difference.

I'm hoping that once baby comes, even though there'll be less opportunity or time to sleep, it'll be comfortable and somewhat uninterrupted.

Is anyone else having as much trouble as I am/do you have any solutions? I've had to give up work finally because I just cannot sleep any more. People used to tell me the last month was the worst, but I never understood it until now..

3timesascrazy Wed 25-Nov-15 09:24:14

I am 35+4 and feel your pain! I get a few hours of broken sleep each night for the same reasons you have described. Its awful isn't it? sad This is my third pregnancy and by far the worst for it.
I'm very sorry to say I'm yet to find anything which helps, just wanted to come and hand hold! brew flowers

The end is in sight, it wont be long before we are wide awake at night sniffing newborn heads, silver linings and all that grin

mrsmugoo Wed 25-Nov-15 10:06:45

Not too long to go and then you will be awake all night in glorious comfort!

Runningupthathill82 Wed 25-Nov-15 11:10:31

Yep, I was exactly the same in my last pregnancy. I insisted I couldn't be any more sleep-deprived once the baby was born. That seems crazy now!

I have no solutions, I'm afraid, apart from to suggest making the most of the glorious rest time you have now. If you're not working any more (lucky you!), you have all day to snooze - albeit in discomfort. You'll never get this time back, so watch box sets, eat cake and relax. Yep, it's uncomfortable, but this is going to be your last time in years that you can sit, quietly, in peace.

I'm now in the horrifically uncomfortable stage of my second pregnancy, and getting barely any sleep. The difference now is that work is more restful than being at home, because I have a very feisty toddler who is more demanding than a demanding job!

I know it's hard, but the discomfort honestly is good practice for the sleep deprivation ahead. Good luck brew

ChicaMomma Wed 25-Nov-15 12:52:35

Pregnancy yoga helped me a LOT on my last pregnancy. GOing to start it again now (29 weeks) as i'm starting to get a lot like you- it's awful!

also- have you tried the Headspace app?? really brilliant for teaching you how to tune out and stop your mind from racing.. The first month is free i think. I must take my own advice and start listening to it again, i really got great results from it.

MrsCrimshaw Wed 25-Nov-15 13:22:15

Yup it's getting worse for me too! I'm 38 weeks. Saw the midwife today and told her how bad my restless legs and "fanny daggers" (didn't actually say that!) were at night, she offered me an appointment with the consultant but she said all they would probably do if offer to induce me early :-S

ChicaMomma Wed 25-Nov-15 13:54:31

MrsC, magnesium supplements are great for the restless legs! the fanny forks are awful. i sometimes wonder if my actual fanny bone has been shattered. I guess we have to trust evolution!!!!!!!!!!!!

Want2bSupermum Wed 25-Nov-15 14:04:03

From 30 weeks onwards with DS I slept on the sofa in a semi upright position. I was huddled into the corner with cushions and pillows behind me and under my knees. We have a bathroom next to the TV room. I had bottles of water in the bathroom so as I peed I drank! I also put lemon juice in my water as for some reason I find it helps me stay hydrated (purely psychological).

I use magnesium oil rubbed into my back and wrists (for absoption) instead of taking supplements. My obn said the oil is better at helping muscle issues.

Remember this is temporary. Once baby arrives you will get into bed and it will never feel so good.

Lozza1990 Wed 25-Nov-15 14:19:30

I remember feeling this way! The first thing I did when I came home from hospital was get into bed and lay on my stomach, I can't tell you how good it felt. It doesn't last long, just hang in there!

ChicaMomma Wed 25-Nov-15 15:47:22

That's interesting about the magnesium oil Want2b- might try that now that i've run out of supplements. I take 300mg about an hour before bed- on the nights that i dont take it, my legs dance all over the bed, it's the most goddawful feeling!!

MrsCrimshaw Wed 25-Nov-15 16:23:24

chicamomma I use magnesium oil spray every day as it's supposed to act faster than an oral supplement - it doesnt make any difference to my rls tho sad

Want2bSupermum Wed 25-Nov-15 16:36:09

Def try the magnesium oil instead of the supplements. My obn said research has shown absorbtion through the skin is more effective than through ingesting the supplement. I asked her about how much and she said not to worry as it would take huge amounts to cause a problem. She also said magnesium is often low after delivery too. In my previous 2 pregnancies she said to keep using it twice a day for nine months after.

mumchkin Thu 26-Nov-15 10:57:11

Does anyone else find the magnesium oil makes them itch like crazy? I can only keep it on about 5 minutes. Bexus I also had the issue of getting up hourly at night to pee (baby was breech and has since moved). I found installing nightlights in the house helped (so no turning on overhead lights that would wake me up on the way to the toilet) and also trying to almost stay half asleep while I was getting up - so not thinking too much or getting too annoyed at what was happening (hard I know). If I got upset about it, I found it woke me up and I wouldn't get back to sleep before the next loo trip.

SpanglesGalloway Thu 26-Nov-15 11:04:56

I could have written your post. I'm 32-33 weeks with dc1 and I was continuously awoken by leg back hip and tummy pains sad I too am well surported with pillows but between the pains and having to pee (3x last night) very difficult....ah pregnancy glamour

Want2bSupermum Thu 26-Nov-15 11:15:15

I had itches from the first oil. I went back and returned it. They gave me a different one which is great. The brand is life-flo and its the pure magnesium oil. They do a sports version which has menthol in it. It honks! I'm in the US and paid $17 for it.

RoseyThePony Thu 26-Nov-15 11:20:53

I suffered similar symptoms (I'm 40+1 now) and it did get better. Exhaustion helps! A couple of tips:
- keep water and food by your bed (belvita biscuits are amazing)
- try eating bananas to ease cramps - sometimes they're caused by low potassium and magnesium in your system
- ease the pain in your legs by sleeping in short stints on your back
- stock up on big tubs of Tums to keep by your bed to stave off indigestion late at night.

Hope some of this helps!

RoseyThePony Thu 26-Nov-15 11:22:20

Oh, I should have said pregnancy-safe yoga as well. That helped me a lot.

ChicaMomma Thu 26-Nov-15 11:55:31

Tried the oil last nite- made me itch and didnt really work. Back to the supplements today methinks.

Although i did read online that the itch is just a sign of a deficiency!

Want2bSupermum Thu 26-Nov-15 15:00:30

No the itch was a sign that my skin didn't like it! I got mine at a health food store which is owned by a lovely chinese couple. The husband runs the alternative medicine side and said I should have asked him for help because the one I purchased is not great during pregnancy when women have more sensitive skin.

Try the supplements but do try to take the oil back and switch it for something else. I find it is much more effective.

MrsCrimshaw Thu 26-Nov-15 16:26:48

Ahh I've just had results of another blood test and they said I'm slightly anaemic and have prescribed iron tablets. Such a relief to think that there might be some relief to my restless legs!

I wanted to let those of you with RLS know that my bloods were "fine" 2 weeks ago - but it's worth pushing for more tests if things don't improve. So glad I did now. Really hope this works and hope you all get some good sleep too!

Cheshirehello79 Thu 26-Nov-15 16:47:00

I'm 39 weeks today and the sleeping nightmares only gets worse - so my solution is sleep during daytime as long as you do get some sort of sleep regardless what time - that's ok

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now