Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Things I actually need to buy

(12 Posts)
Gregoryj Tue 24-Nov-15 12:11:56

Ok so. New parents to be. 7 weeks + 6 first 9 week appointment on the 5th of December.

Starting to think (especially with Christmas coming up) about all the things were going to need to get.
So, is there a list ? Or is most of the stuff that usually comes on the list actually not needed?
What did you get / end up not using?

All help appreciated smile

ffauxlivia Tue 24-Nov-15 12:41:43

I'm 22 weeks and have bought nothing yet, bar some clothes!! But I did bookmark a few threads from last month that were very useful in helping me compile my list ready:

Shopping list: www.mumsnet.com/Talk/pregnancy/2486202-first-time-mum-shopping-checklist

Best thing you bought: www.mumsnet.com/Talk/pregnancy/2489155-The-best-things-you-bought-for-baby

Worst thing you bought: www.mumsnet.com/Talk/pregnancy/2492011-The-WORST-thing-you-bought-for-baby-What-can-I-cross-off-my-list

Otherwise I'm sure people will be along with more helpful suggestions!!

Congrats!

Jibberjabberjooo Tue 24-Nov-15 12:45:49

I didn't buy anything until after the 20 week scan and I was still shopping for hospital the day I went into labour!

Don't forget that supermarkets have baby events all the time so there's no need to panic.

Also it's worth not going mad on nappies because you will find that not every brand suits your baby. We've been through every brand with two dc and have finally settled on Pampers but I can highly recommend Morrisons and Asda own and Aldi are also recommended.

Prams, think about what you need it for and size of car and go and play with them. We have a much loved bugaboo bee as we live in a city so it's perfect.

For me waste of time items

CityDweller Tue 24-Nov-15 12:46:26

All you really need is a few vests and sleepsuit and nappies!

Jibberjabberjooo Tue 24-Nov-15 12:49:16

Shit, posted too soon.

Waste of time for me was buying a change table (we didn't) as we had a change mat on the floor, one for up and one for down stairs.

My first hated his bouncy chair, my second loved it, you just can't tell.

Supermarkets do really great babygros and vests, you don't have to spend a fortune on clothes they'll grow out of within five minutes. You'll get given clothes too.

Medela swing breast pump is great.

I liked my Milton tank much better than my microwave steriliser.

Diddlydokey Tue 24-Nov-15 12:50:02

www.babycentre.co.uk/a559809/buying-for-baby-what-you-really-need

I used this list and found it to be about right. Don't believe what John Lewis or Mothercare tell you as they're a shop.

Jibberjabberjooo Tue 24-Nov-15 12:53:48

Oh, I never bought a room or bath thermometers. For the bath I use the old method of my elbow. For the room I feel the back of their neck. One more layer than you is the rule of thumb. They don't need hats indoors as babies over heat easily.

The lullaby trust is useful for info on sleeping guidelines and SIDS.
www.lullabytrust.org.uk/safer-sleep

jamtartandcustard Tue 24-Nov-15 13:26:30

We've bought Moses basket, stand, 2 fitted sheets and 2 baby sleep bags (already own hundreds of blankets!). 6 sleep suits, 6 vests, a couple of hats, scratch mits, 1 cardigan and a snow suit. Pushchair and car seat. Lots of nappies. Also we are ff so bottles, steriliser, milk etc but you may not need that if you plan on breastfeeding. Not yet got bath support but it's on the to buy list. Already have changing bag with travel change mat that we will use at home as well. Erm think that's it. Oh we also have a Playmat and bouncer but Santa will be delivering those wink

cloudjumper Tue 24-Nov-15 13:30:52

I wouldn't buy anything yet, it's way too early.
Do some research and have a think about what you like, look for second-hand bargains. Like others have said, there is no way of knowing what you and the baby will like/use. You will undoubtedly end up with stuff that will collect dust in the corner, everyone does.

Gregoryj Tue 24-Nov-15 13:39:24

Thankyou everyone smile
Not necessarily buying right away but want to get a list in place so I know what I need to look for incase any "too good too miss" deals come around.
+ were super excited so want to go n window shop all the time

Mordirig Tue 24-Nov-15 14:12:13

This will be my 3rd, youngest is 3 so a lot of stuff has been thrown away or given away to friends/family, During the Autumn/Winter sales what I do with my other 2 is to buy coats/ next size up shoes/ party outfits/dresses in 1-2 sizes bigger for the next season.
So I'm going to just go for Unisex sale Items for things like Snow suits/cream/plain cardigans and plain sleepsuits things like that.
If I see a good and well reduced in price play mat or bouncer then I may get it, but I won't go hunting for them.
I wouldn't buy any toys, lots of people with give you things like that for the baby when its born.

Givinguph0pe Tue 24-Nov-15 14:24:29

I'm 30 weeks, delivering at 37 or 38 weeks and have nothing!
I'm not getting anything either. I have a bad feeling about this pregnancy and still can't believe I will be bringing a baby home in January.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now