Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

32 weeks - normal for movements to be less vigorous/not as often?

(12 Posts)
RainWildsGirl Tue 24-Nov-15 10:13:55

So between weeks 24 and 31 baby was a little gymnast! plenty of movement anytime I was sat still and paying attention with the odd quiet day here and there.

I'm now 32 weeks, baby is head down with bottom up under my ribs on my right side. movements have slowed down a fair bit in the last few days. if I drink cold water/sugar rush/prod at it I can get baby moving a bit but its nothing like the somersaults of a few weeks back.

am I right in thinking that it would be normal for things to slow up a bit in the last few weeks as baby has less room to move about as much? assuming baby continues to respond when provoked by diet coke and chocolate that I shouldn't worry?

third pregnancy and really should know this stuff by now but I cant remember!!

VagueIdeas Tue 24-Nov-15 10:16:56

am I right in thinking that it would be normal for things to slow up a bit in the last few weeks as baby has less room to move about as much?

This is a very common but very dangerous misconception. The baby's movements may feel different because there is less room, but the baby will move about just as much as before. If you notice fewer movements, then you need to get checked urgently.

jamtartandcustard Tue 24-Nov-15 10:52:32

baby should still be making as many movements but as there is less space it will be more kicks, punches and headbutts as opposed to somersaults. if you are concerned then get checked out x

LilithTheKitty Tue 24-Nov-15 10:58:23

Don't ignore changes in movements. There have been recent campaigns aimed at dispelling the "less room" myths.

putthePuffindown Tue 24-Nov-15 11:08:59

As others have said, you should have same volume of movements although they may feel different. If you think they're less then get checked out. When I get worried, I was told to go lie in a darkened room and count the movements (less than 10 in 2 hours you should definitely get checked). I also use a free app called kickme to track patterns.

RainWildsGirl Tue 24-Nov-15 11:45:05

I've just sat for the last hour very quietly to monitor. I have felt 6 definite movements in that time although they are much more like pressure/pushing against me rather than a sharp kick. they are in different places to where they have been of late so I think baby may have moved around which would explain the difference in pattern I think.

I saw the MW yesterday and all was fine with the Doppler check, I did mention baby was quieter and she was unconcerned.

another movement now while I'm sitting here typing.

thanks for the replies. I've had a busier couple of days and I can see how I would not notice these movements if I wasn't concentrating on them.

just having a feel around and I am fairly sure baby has changed sides! little rascal!!

I have nothing urgent today until school pick up so I'm going to do some more quiet sitting and monitoring and if I'm worried I will definitely call the MW.

Nousername2015 Tue 24-Nov-15 17:56:00

How did you get on OP? I'm also 32 weeks and while movements are still regular, for me they are more shuffling and shoving now with the odd kick. Still as frequent as ever but easier to miss if I'm active I find.
Definitely get checked if you think movements have decreased though, best to be safe.

ffauxlivia Tue 24-Nov-15 18:28:23

The message on this photo is stuck in my head, so as others have said please go in if you can't count as many kicks as before

Here's some information from the Count the Kicks website which is really informative: www.countthekicks.org

RainWildsGirl Wed 25-Nov-15 08:18:49

Spent a quiet afternoon and had plenty of movement in the end! and the usually bedtime kickabout was there like normal.

nouser similar here, when I actually spent time doing nothing but concentrating on movement it was there, just different to before in the same way you describe and I definitely would struggle to notice if I was busy doing other things.

I will definitely get checked if I feel there is a problem but for now all seems back to normal - well as normal as the pregnancy lark can be!!

toohardtothinkofaname Wed 25-Nov-15 08:37:42

The number of kicks per hour isn't to be trusted, it's number of episodes of movement throughout the day. See countthekicks.co.uk for info. I found getting a wristband a godsend; when you're busy you get the end of the day and worry you've not felt baby much. The wristband helps you to absent-mindedly count the episodes & you realise you've felt them a whole lot more than it seemed!

RainWildsGirl Wed 25-Nov-15 11:28:01

have read up on the count the kicks websites and feeling much better informed. looking back in my mind it is clear that my baby is a night owl! I'm usually out and about in the mornings so the fact baby is quieter then would have been missed, I just happen to have had a few days at home so noticed it.

am keeping a note now when at home to check patterns.

toohardtothinkofaname Thu 26-Nov-15 08:21:26

Hey rain, that's fantastic news! It really is a great campaign/charity & the more people know about it, the more informed & empowered they'll be to monitor their babies grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now