Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Premature breech vaginal birth?

(3 Posts)
jmac88 Mon 23-Nov-15 14:29:29

Hi,

Looking for other's similar experiences really...

My waters broke Thursday night at 33 weeks + 3. Have been in hospital since, given steroid injections and antibiotics and we're trying to keep him in until 34 weeks (next monday) when his lungs will be stronger and sucking reflex better. Consultants have advised that if he comes spontaneously we should give vaginal birth a go (even though he is breech) as he is only 4lbs at the mo and aparently it's good for prem babies to labour a bit? If nothing happens by Monday I will be having a section on 2nd/3rd Dec.

Feeling anxious about delivering him vaginally in case he gets stuck, especially if he has breathing difficulties, but equally want to give him the best start. Worried about seeing him (or not seeing him) being whisked off after a section....

Anybody else have similar experiences?

Panther79 Mon 23-Nov-15 15:21:49

No such experience but wanted to hand hold until someone wiser comes along.

All I can say is that you are in the best place you could be right now and I hope everything goes well for you and your little one X

Icklepickle101 Mon 23-Nov-15 15:36:21

brew for you.

I believe the risk of respiratory problems is lower in babies born naturally, they advise steroids if an ELCS will be before 39 weeks but a baby born naturally at that age wouldn't need them.

I think my midwife said it was something to do with the baby being constricted in the birth canal starts a reflex with the lungs which takes longer to kick in naturally in c section babies as they are never 'squashed'

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now