Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

how many weeks do I have to wait for a positive?

(20 Posts)
Nikitasol Sun 22-Nov-15 13:02:44

I swear I'm about 5.5 weeks pregnant, all the signs from before- exhausted, starving hungry, dry lips, blank stares. weepy, putting on weight, but still no positive result when I POAS. I tested positive just before 4 weeks with DS but with three other pregnancies (mc) it all took about 7-8 weeks to show. What's all that about? Has anyone else found it takes ages for a result? I googled it but no real info online. DP is being supportive and believes me based on previous experience, but starting to wonder if I'm bit mad!

sparechange Sun 22-Nov-15 13:03:58

Which tests are you using?
Have you tried a first response or Superdrug one?

Nikitasol Sun 22-Nov-15 13:32:29

Umm no, just pound land ones. Oops should I use a different kind then?

toohardtothinkofaname Sun 22-Nov-15 13:55:56

My friend got repeated negatives on Internet cheapies for 2 weeks even though she was late. Morrisons own brand, FRER & Clearblue showed up positive within seconds grin

Nikitasol Sun 22-Nov-15 13:58:04

Doh, probably should have factored that in! Will nip out to super drug and do one tomo. Would be good to have some clarity. But in the meantime, what's the longest you've waited for a positive result?

FourForYouGlenCoco Sun 22-Nov-15 18:44:21

My first pregnancy I was 2 weeks late before I got a positive, had had clear BFNs after my AF was due. Had to have a little sit down when the 2 lines came up! Good luck smile

Tangoandcreditcards Sun 22-Nov-15 18:55:31

I've had 3 pregnancies. 1 mc, 1 DS and 1 pending delivery grin

I've never had a BFP before 1 week late. (So 5 weeks pg). More than once I got BFNs after my BFP (yes I kept testing).

Not as late as you, but I think some people process slower or something! I found Superdrug gave me the clearest results the earliest.

Mordirig Sun 22-Nov-15 23:59:18

I used the cheapest Superdrug one £3 & change on Friday and I was just 4 weeks and I didn't need to wait even 1 minute before it gave me a BFP.
Used Clearblue with DD 3yrs ago and I was only 3-4 weeks pg then and that showed up + fast too.
With DS (first baby) I had no idea until I had an emergency scan due to abdominal pain at 22 weeks! so no test needed then.

Nikitasol Wed 25-Nov-15 07:48:13

Sorry haven't posted for few days, we're not that close to the shops and then we had a tiff so didn't want to test then. Anyway, bought a load yesterday and did a couple this morning with first pee. Nothing! What's going on?! I'm so exhausted I'm going to bed at 9pm, I'm nauseous and ravenous all at the same time. I've started putting on weight, I'm more tearful than usual and all the usual stuff that goes with being pg. So what do I do now, just wait?

Sallyhasleftthebuilding Wed 25-Nov-15 07:58:43

You could have low hormones not showing up.

Nikitasol Wed 25-Nov-15 10:15:01

How long do I have to wait if it's a low hormone thing? Should I bother going to the doctor? Is that usual?

Pippa12 Wed 25-Nov-15 10:21:37

Blood test at GPs?

Nikitasol Wed 25-Nov-15 11:09:56

Ahh ok. Thank you. Or should I just wait for a week longer?

Threesquids Wed 25-Nov-15 15:04:45

I would wait. Having those symptoms does not mean you are definitely pregnant. If you had enough hormones for symptoms, you would have enough hormones for a BFP on a First Response at very least.

You may just have a bug or something, try not to get your hopes up too high until you have a BFP.

sparechange Wed 25-Nov-15 16:33:16

pippa
If you go to a GP saying you think you are pregnant but are getting bfns, they aren't going to give you a blood test. They'll tell you to wait a week and test again.

Nikitasol Thu 26-Nov-15 23:02:06

Thanks. Guess I'll just have to sit it out.

Brummiegirl15 Fri 27-Nov-15 07:21:26

Looking at how many weeks you think you would be and that you are getting a bfn on first morning pee, I hate to say it but it's highly likely you aren't pregnant.

Those symptoms don't mean you are pregnant and I just worry you are getting your hopes up.

By all means I could be wrong but I do think you should assume now that you aren't

Nikitasol Fri 27-Nov-15 20:16:42

It's ok if I'm not brummiegirl, but I really really feel like I am. I feel exactly like I did the last time I was pregnant. I also have form with taking ages to show a positive pg test. I did some research and it's really not uncommon to take ages to get a positive result when pregnant. But will see. Planning to test again on Sunday.

Kaytee1987 Mon 30-Nov-15 12:47:29

How did your test go? My friends af is 10 days late now with bfn's - the doctor told her she probably is pregnant and to hand them in a urine sample next week.

Threesquids Mon 07-Dec-15 14:02:13

What happened in the end?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now