Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

12 week scan - weekends?

(19 Posts)
Gregoryj Sun 22-Nov-15 10:47:08

Hey everyone, new dad to be smile however at this incredible time I'm also going away for work as I've just started a new job so have 3 weeks of training to be done. I will be back on weekends & be able to make it back (all be it a momentous drive) in the evenings if needed. But my other half is 7 weeks 6 days already so the 9-12 week will fall when I'm away. Are the 12 week scans able to be done on the weekend as well as midweek or? We've not had any advice / guidance yet as when we tried to make a dr appt they just gave us a number to ring and refer ourselves and that was that. Made us feel very alone sad

Daffydil Sun 22-Nov-15 10:49:50

Not at our hospital. Only weekdays. But you could get a private one done. Local private scan places do weekends.

Gregoryj Sun 22-Nov-15 10:52:18

It's not something I intend to miss just not sure how my new work are going to take it that I need a day off at a crucial part of my training :/

Oysterbabe Sun 22-Nov-15 10:54:03

Very unlikely. My hospital certainly doesn't do them at weekends.

lifeinslowmotion Sun 22-Nov-15 10:54:28

Not where I live no but they do evening appointments. My 12 week scan was on a friday at 7pm.

wonkylegs Sun 22-Nov-15 10:54:44

I think the only way you are going to be able to do it is with a private scan.

lifeinslowmotion Sun 22-Nov-15 10:56:37

Couldn't you ask what the latest possible appointment time is and if necessary just leave off a little bit earlier than usual?

Gregoryj Sun 22-Nov-15 11:04:50

Yeah I will definitely try to get the latest one possible. It's close to a 4 hour drive from where I'll be to get back home but like I said it's not something I'm going to miss so will just have to make it work somehow

Wait4nothing Sun 22-Nov-15 11:25:47

I'd look into a private scan a little earlier at the weekend - they are cheaper than I thought (we got an early reassurance one). you could do that together on a weekend before her nhs 12 weeks scan? That way you still get the experience of seeing the scan together for the first time and she can bring you pictures from the very similar next scan?

Battleshiphips2 Sun 22-Nov-15 11:32:08

By us if you are under community midwife care you can have weekend scans at one of the local health centres. It's only the hospitals that don't do them at weekends.

Gregoryj Sun 22-Nov-15 11:32:54

Definitely an option I'm going to consider as I'm just not sure I could bear missing it completely. Her parents live 500 miles away too so don't want her to be alone. I'm going to ring my new employer n see if anything can be done. This is our first so we're obviously very excited to actually speak to someone about it and get all the advice / procedures etc etc.

Twinwife Sun 22-Nov-15 11:56:19

They do weekend scans and late evening scans at our hospital trust. I've had 10am on sat and 7.30pm on Friday

seven201 Sun 22-Nov-15 14:34:33

They do them until 13 weeks - I think 13 plus 5 is the cut off (I might be completely wrong) but you could ask to move it until a little later, if that helps. I'll be 12 plus 5 for my scan - it's just the date they gave me.

DowntonDiva Sun 22-Nov-15 19:34:07

Only weekdays for my hospital but like others have suggested you could perhaps consider a private scan at the weekend?

If you ring your hospital and ask to be put through to the antenatal scanning dept they might be able to advise on timings and when would be the latest they could scan you.Sometimes they're so busy you might be booked in later than 12 weeks any ways.

Congratulation thanks

LibrariesGaveUsP0wer Sun 22-Nov-15 19:36:50

This is our first so we're obviously very excited to actually speak to someone about it and get all the advice / procedures etc etc.

Unless this is tied in with a midwife booking appointment, detailed advice and procedures aren't going to happen at the scan. Just so you're prepared.

Jibberjabberjooo Sun 22-Nov-15 20:11:07

I had my 20 week scan on a weekend, depends on your hospital.

Has your partner had a date through for a booking appointment with the midwife yet? That's usually at 8-10 weeks.

Gregoryj Tue 24-Nov-15 12:00:56

Got a call today & theyve booked our 9 week initial appointment for a weekend which is great! And after we explained have said we can change our 12 week scan for a weekend too if needed ! Yippee

wonkylegs Tue 24-Nov-15 12:26:16

Yay good news

DowntonDiva Tue 24-Nov-15 13:33:59

Fantastic!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now