Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Hypertension in first pregnancy

(6 Posts)
Loki17 Sun 22-Nov-15 08:08:05

When I was pregnant with dd, I had undiagnosed hypertension. The midwife failed to spot it at my routine appointments (she thought BP was high because of the steep flight of stairs I walked up, spent one session dithering about calling the hospital but, ultimately, didn't). At 40+5, I had a sweep and was found to be 2cm dilated already. I'd been in slow labour for about 2 weeks with contractions starting and stopping. After my sweep I had a huge bleed and the maternity unit insisted I went in to be checked. The bleeding was nothing to worry about but my BP was through the roof. The sister on the ward went mad and said I should have been on medication all through my pregnancy. She logged a complaint against my community midwife because it was serious and I could have died. I was put straight onto medication and booked in for an induction the next day. During the night I went into natural labour. I had real trouble dialating and had to have a drip to help strengthen my contractions and to help me dialate. I was under consultant care and hooked up to machines throughout labour. At one point, they thought they might need to do a c - section. All was fine, but, now that I'm pregnant again I'm feeling a little worried about the same thing happening again. I've got my first midwife appointment in 2 weeks and will talk to her about my worries. But, in the meantime I wondered if anyone else had had these issues in a first pregnancy but not in a second?

SpaghettiMeatballs Sun 22-Nov-15 08:33:21

I'm afraid I had it in both pregnancies although it developed later in my second. I'd have got away with it if he hadn't been a week late!

I had weekly midwife appointments from 34 weeks to monitor BP and to check for protein in urine. They would have medicated if it had developed sooner.

It did mean not using midwife led unit but I had a great birth anyway. DS shot out inside 50 minutes so there wouldn't have been time for a birthing pool or anything anyway.

Be prepared to stay overnight. DS's birth was so easy I thought I'd be able to go straight home from labour ward but they asked me to stay the night to monitor BP. Mine came down within about 10 hours of giving birth which was good news although had it not they have medication they can prescribe that doesn't interfere with breastfeeding.

I did find some information that said you are more likely to develop it if you've had it before but it isn't a certainty.

Good luck.

bluewisteria Sun 22-Nov-15 08:37:36

Hi Loki
No I'm afraid I had it with both, it was worse with my second but only post delivery and my DD2 was in intensive care so bp may have been higher because of that.
But I'm 28 weeks with my third, and so far I have totally normal bp.
I went to see the consultant and he discharged me back to midwife care he was so unconcerned. He said having the same father, which I do, reduces chances each time.
Every pregnancy is different, try not to worry. I found hypnobirthing really helped with DD2 to keep me calm, it was only when she was born and ill I panicked and bp rose. Her illness was nothing to do with my bp by the way.
flowers

Loki17 Sun 22-Nov-15 08:39:38

Thanks, that is helpful to know x

bluewisteria Sun 22-Nov-15 08:47:44

I don't know how you feel about induction after last time, but I was very overdue with both and I'm sure that led to an increase in problems (for me).
This time I've asked to induced by 40 weeks, the consultant said 41 which annoyed me as my first was 41 with worst hypertension. I know induction carries risk but I was induced with both daughters, DD1 one pessary and she arrived after 6 hrs, DD2 just broke waters and she arrived within 3. No problems.

Your case is very different but just make sure you feel you are being listened to this time and ask to go consultant led if you prefer. Keep an open mind towards the end and just make sure your midwife/consultant is really on it when it comes to checking up on you. Don't be afraid to make a fuss and get checked out the moment you feel unwell.

Loki17 Sun 22-Nov-15 08:52:57

I wasn't induced in the end but if it happens again I will just do whatever I need to. I was lucky, I had an easy pregnancy last time and a lovely, if complicated, birth experience. I had a mobile epidural because I was contracting for a minute with a minute gap in between but wasn't dilating. Also not being able to move because of the monitoring equipment made the pain worse. I was hoping to avoid that this time. I guess I'll just have to wait and see.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now