Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Steriliser doesn't fit in microwave

(18 Posts)
Evianbaby15 Sat 21-Nov-15 17:08:39

I bought a dr Browns set a while ago, just got it all out of the box and realised the steriliser doesn't fit in our microwave (it does if I take the plate out but then it's not going to turn)
Can't really afford to buy a new one
Any suggestions?

Junosmum Sat 21-Nov-15 17:10:45

Sell it on ebay if you can't return it and out the money towards a new steriliser.

Alternatively, sell the microwave and put the money towards a new one.

I'm assuming that it is only a steam steriliser and can't be used as a cold water one or an electric one.

AuntieStella Sat 21-Nov-15 17:13:35

Sell steriliser, if it can't be used any other way. Get in stock of Milton to tide you over whilst you save up for a steriliser that fits.

BaBaBaBoomBoom Sat 21-Nov-15 17:17:24

Modern microwaves are really small, we had to swap our microwave with my mums so our steriliser fitted!

Have a look at charity shops for a bigger microwave!

goodnightdarthvader1 Sat 21-Nov-15 17:19:11

Gumtree?

Evianbaby15 Sat 21-Nov-15 17:22:19

I didn't think of Milton, might have to make do with that as our microwave is fairly new and was quite expensive so not looking to replace it.
Does anyone know if Dr Browns bottles will fit in other sterilisers?
Wish I'd checked earlier now, as the kids would say 'that'll learn me'

Iggi999 Sat 21-Nov-15 17:26:09

The only type I could fit in microwave were the ones that look like Tupperware boxes basically - sold as a travel steriliser. Could fit two bottles in, or lots of dummies which is what I was using it for!

VegetablEsoup Sat 21-Nov-15 17:32:31

have you got a dishwasher? if yes no stetilising needed.
at least none of my ff friends in another european country had a steriliser.

Evianbaby15 Sat 21-Nov-15 17:47:13

No dishwasher unfortunately but have seen a few electric sterilisers on gumtree so will keep my eye on there.
Thanks for your help everyone brew

f1fan2015 Sat 21-Nov-15 17:49:43

My midwife had a fit at the thought of me using Miltons. Suggested I just run the hot tap and use the hot water from it to sterilise with. This was 5 years ago in Switzerland. The hospital also sterilised the bits for my breastpump and bottles the same way shock

KatyN Sat 21-Nov-15 18:19:12

I used Milton when my son was is nicu. It was what they provided and recommended.

PotteringAlong Sat 21-Nov-15 18:23:35

Are you using it for formula or breastmilk? If it's breastmilk then you don't need to sterilise so don't worry about it.

helloelo Sat 21-Nov-15 18:29:51

No need to sterilise, sell it and buy chocolates.

LottieDoubtie Sat 21-Nov-15 18:59:03

Does anyone know if Dr Browns bottles will fit in other sterilisers?

I sterilise 4 Dr Browns at a time in my advent steam steriliser. It's a bit of a squeeze and technically designed for the smaller advent bottles, but the baby is now 14 months and no gastro issues so I think it's ok grin

And yes I know, I don't have to still sterilise, but I just can't help myself!

(I don't and never have sterilised toys/plates/cups/bowls, so he gets plenty of germs, but for milk I like too).

Evianbaby15 Sat 21-Nov-15 20:13:50

Thanks Lottie and thanks everyone for replies. Going
To buy a secondhand electric steriliser I think

Noodledoodledoo Sat 21-Nov-15 20:21:06

Have just sent you a message.

FusionChefGeoff Sat 21-Nov-15 20:31:31

Can you take it back???? Most places are ridiculously accommodating if you want to exchange rather than get money back.

AHobbyaweek Sat 21-Nov-15 20:41:50

You can use it without the plate as the water will still boil and sterilise everything.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now