Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Pregnancy vitamins, do I, don't I?

(13 Posts)
mascaraisamust Fri 20-Nov-15 19:59:33

Ok so I'm taking folic acid and vitamin d anyway. Im taking vitamin d (400iu twice a day) due to deficiency and the gp has told me to continue as it'll do no harm. However I'm conscious that I should maybe start taking pregnancy vitamins but the vitamin d dosage is lower than what I'm on at the moment. Feeling a tad run down so worried I'm lacking something.

Has anyone had benefits of taking a pregnancy vitamin? Or just by bothered and stuck with the basics instead?

KatyN Fri 20-Nov-15 20:19:43

I would talk to a pharmacist. You shouldn't take a normal multivitamin as vit a can be harmful.

K

Junosmum Fri 20-Nov-15 20:26:56

Folic acid and vit D are all you need if your diet is reasonable. I continued to take my hair and nail vitamins and added folic acid, but I have an under active thyroid and the vitamins were helping me, they were fine for pregnancy (no vit A).

goodnightdarthvader1 Fri 20-Nov-15 20:31:09

Why wouldn't you?

Junosmum Fri 20-Nov-15 21:40:25

Goodnight- because they are expensive and there is no evidence that they do any good, except folic acid and vit d and lots of evidence that they do absolutely nothing and you pee 99.9% out, unless you have an underlying reason that you are vitamin deficient (such as hg)

TreeSparrow Fri 20-Nov-15 22:32:09

Don't take additional vitamins unless there is a known deficiency. Pregnacare make billions making purple believe their pills are essential when they're not. In fact, meta-studies indicate that taking unnecessary vitamins can actually be harmful if you already have a good diet.

TreeSparrow Fri 20-Nov-15 22:32:37

*people, not purple!

bittapitta Sat 21-Nov-15 07:13:18

I only take vitamin D (and took folic acid for first trimester). I'd take liquid iron if levels were shown low in blood tests but so far so good. I would take pregnancy multivitamins if I couldn't keep anything down because of sickness but otherwise I agree with others above that is unnecessary.

KellyS84 Sat 21-Nov-15 08:42:22

I started taking pregnacare multi vitamins but they made me throw my guts up so not taking anything now (6 months preg)

Kaytee1987 Sat 21-Nov-15 12:10:01

You only need to tame folic acid and vit d. The cold dark weather always makes me feel run down so it might be that. If possible try and rest more and maybe treat yourself to a beauty treatment smile always makes me feel better xx

Kaytee1987 Sat 21-Nov-15 12:10:16

Take not tame lol

CityDweller Sat 21-Nov-15 16:34:16

I didn't (and have two lovely healthy DC!). I took folate (naturally occurring folic acid, which is apparently better absorbed), Vit D separately. Along with a probiotic (ProVen). And continued taking the calcium and fish oils (not fish liver oils!) I usually do.

mascaraisamust Sat 21-Nov-15 20:08:59

Thanks all, really interesting.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now