Talk

Advanced search

What the hell are you supposed to buy for a baby shower?

(20 Posts)
BananaHammock23 Fri 20-Nov-15 14:40:56

I am not pregnant, but one of my friends is, and she's having one of these new-fangled American-inspired baby shower (complete with chocolate poo in nappies etc).

I just don't know what gift to get that would actually be helpful/useful/gratefully received? I'm reluctant to buy newborn clothes, as there are over 20 of us going and I just think the baby will be wearing 3 outfits a day until it grows out of them, then be naked for eternity.

Any ideas or inspiration? what would you like?!

ThomasRichard Fri 20-Nov-15 14:43:25

Clothes in a bigger size.

A car seat wrap.

Chocolate, although I once made the mistake of giving that to a friend with gestational diabetes blush

BeautyQueenFromMars Fri 20-Nov-15 14:43:40

My sister received baby blankets, a nappy cake, a little keepsakes box (baby's first shoes, scan photo, hospital wrist band etc), a couple of packs of cute muslins, a disposable nappy bin and a few items of clothing, not all of which were for newborns.

BananaHammock23 Fri 20-Nov-15 14:49:20

Thanks both -- car seat wrap is a great idea! I just want to get something that she'll find useful and won't have loads of!

MrsA2015 Fri 20-Nov-15 14:49:56

A whole load of breast pads.
Dermaplast numbing spray for after birth! (Wish I'd found out about it sooner and bought it for myself)
Something useful for baby to grow into like a coat or pair of shoes.

BikeRunSki Fri 20-Nov-15 15:02:40

Bath thermometer

cloudjumper Fri 20-Nov-15 15:06:29

I always wonder if those who give all these presents at the baby shower then also give something when the baby is actually born? When it is much clearer what it might need?

You could get her something for her, instead of the baby. Pampering treatment vouchers (massage, pedicure etc), some nice body lotion/bubble bath and the likes.
I didn't have a baby shower, but I loved the presents I received when DS was born that were for me, instead of the baby (because, let's face it, you are likely to have all the essentials you need anyway!).

MrsCrimshaw Fri 20-Nov-15 15:07:16

A cake like one of these?

www.cakewrecks.com/home/2013/4/18/10-hilariously-inappropriate-baby-shower-cakes.html

clarabellski Fri 20-Nov-15 16:08:49

If she has a kindle other ebook readers are available, vouchers to buy e-books so she can read with one hand whilst nursing?

Reiltin Fri 20-Nov-15 16:10:25

A book. Something classic that the baby can read when they are older.

Anotherdayanotherdollar Fri 20-Nov-15 16:13:34

Milestone cards! www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/s/ref=is_s_ss_i_1_4?k=milestone+baby+cards&sprefix=mile

doublechocchip Fri 20-Nov-15 16:16:35

I second getting something for the mum then you can buy something for the baby when born.
I usually do a mini gift bag with hand cream, bubble bath, chocolate, a mini bottle of fizz and the baby powder Yankee candle.
One of my favourite gifts that was bought for me was actually a bath pillow!

JaWellNoFine Fri 20-Nov-15 16:21:18

To me a baby shower is about sharing knowledge and experience with a new mom. So I get things that worked for me and my babies. E.g. i think Kamillosan (sp?) is awesome for babies bottom so I give that. I would never give new born clothes .. 6-9 months or older if at all.

And something nice for mom.. My cousin got a anti-stress colouring book and pencils..

itsmeohlord Fri 20-Nov-15 16:24:22

Definitely something for the Mum.

comeagainforbigfudge Fri 20-Nov-15 16:41:23

one of these except from home bargins for about £2 for bathing baby

And a cocktail in a can from m&s for your friend grin

ThursdayLastWeek Fri 20-Nov-15 16:45:17

These days, if I get invited I take a tin if pineapple and some raspberry leaf tea or something similar grin

PrincessPunzie Fri 20-Nov-15 18:23:52

I've only been to one baby shower and hope never to have to go to another - I wasn't exactly in the baby zone then, so I bought the Mum a present that had nothing to do with babies but reflected a shared interest of ours. She loved it! I did however cave a few days before and get a cuddly animal for the baby too.

Missingcaffeine Fri 20-Nov-15 21:09:07

I've only been to one baby shower. I do like the idea of friends getting together before baby arrives, but not the pre-baby gifts as I feel these should be given once the baby arrives - but that's just me. I got the mum a little bag of things that I found useful as a new mum (dry shampoo, napisan, device for clearing snot from baby's nose when they have a cold, amazing nipple cream from local pharmacist etc). I ended up getting more gifts once the baby arrived too, but then did a bit of research online and realised that the ettiequte in the USA is to give your gift at the baby shower rather than after the baby is born (although very close family and friends may choose to give both).

BikeRunSki Fri 20-Nov-15 21:18:44

grin Thursday

Dixiechick17 Sat 21-Nov-15 06:29:13

I was bought one of these star baby fleeces, it was great tuppenceandcrumble.com/shop/star_wraps/Baby-Star-Wraps-Naturals

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now