Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

treating a cold when pregnant

(8 Posts)
HarrysMummy17 Thu 19-Nov-15 22:49:17

I woke up this morning with a horrible cold and I'm really suffering.

Stuffy nose, head ache, sore throat, achy.

What can I do whilst being pregnant?!

MockTheWeek Thu 19-Nov-15 22:59:27

I really feel for you. I had numerous colds when I was pregnant and it's rubbish. I got through with lots of hot lemon and honey and holding my head over a bowl of boiling water. And lots of sleep if you can! thanks

PeppasNanna Fri 20-Nov-15 00:03:03

I just carried on as normal, paracetamol etc.

BreakfastLunchPasta Fri 20-Nov-15 00:07:11

Pregnant or not, I find apple cider vinegar really good for colds, coughs, sore throats. I have a tablespoon of it in half a cup of hot water with honey.
It's a bit like having hot whiskey, except it actually makes you better grin

LittleBearPad Fri 20-Nov-15 00:10:05

Drug wise only paracetamol. Honey and lemon, eucalyptus etc may help

KnitsBakesAndReads Fri 20-Nov-15 00:12:46

I second hot honey and lemon drinks. Lovely for a sore throat. And most throat lozenges - Soothers or Lockets etc - should be safe too.

Also try Olbas Oil for a stuffy nose. You can either put a drop on a tissue and breathe it in, or try a few drops in a bowl of hot water and inhale the vapour. You can also try putting a drop on your pillow to help overnight, though the smell can linger a bit if you do that.

For a headache I really recommend 4Head stick. It's a menthol stick that you rub on your forehead and it helps relieve a headache. I was sceptical about it at first but it does make a difference.

For general aches and pains, how about a hot water bottle or heat patch?

Hope you're feeling better soon!

HarrysMummy17 Fri 20-Nov-15 00:54:35

Thank you all! Just had hot honey and lemon, now propped up on pillows after covering my nose in happynose decongestant balm and Vicks on my chest.

Will have a look for apple cider vinegar tomorrow and the head stick!

Pippa12 Fri 20-Nov-15 05:18:18

Halls soothers etc are fine, pharmacy said strepsils are a no! Hope you feel better soon

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now