Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Indigestion!! urgh...anything but gaviscon :-/

(14 Posts)
hellsdells82 Wed 18-Nov-15 23:34:09

Im 21+5,and this last week the dreaded indigestion has hit me. To top it off i jave the worst gas (cuz ya needed to know) and its all just unbearable. Surely...someone,anyone (or at least 1 of you MNers) know a better way to get rid of this than the nasty bathroom cleaner tablets gaviscon or peptac, as they are just nasty. I cant stand anything to do with lemon or aniseed and urgh mints! I dont eat alot at best of times due to the awful HG and if its gona make me sick then i would rather avoid. Ideas.. hmm

tinyme135 Wed 18-Nov-15 23:37:34

I can't stand gaviscon liquid so I got the docs to put me on the tablets which I can suck or chew. also go to your docs and tell them how bad it is they might be able to give you omeprazole (which is perfectly fine to take when pregnant)

hellsdells82 Wed 18-Nov-15 23:50:47

Ooh i have some of those (omeprazole) but wasnt sure about pregnancy,i can get them on repeat from my doc. (Sensitive tum so have them already) just not usually for indigestion and never in pregnancy. Will give them a try this week and get some more anyway. Thankyou smile

bluewisteria Thu 19-Nov-15 01:45:57

I find a glass of cold milk is amazing, and I keep one by my bed at night too as it is always worse when lying down.

Reebok Thu 19-Nov-15 01:48:30

I'm a fellow hyperemesis sufferer so I feel your pain. I'm on omeprazole which has been my savior! I was on ranitidine which didn't touch my indigestion/acid reflux....but was out on omeprazole at 13 weeks. It really does work!

Ohfourfoxache Thu 19-Nov-15 02:14:06

Oh Christ, I do not miss those days at all sad - DC1 born in March and, although I'd do labour again in a heartbeat, I'm not sure I could manage another pregnancy.

Omeprazole or ranitidine helped a lot (switched between the two) but gaviscon made me gag. The only other thing I could tolerate was Rennie, which I had in bulk.

Plain hot water worked ok for a while. As did frozen orange juice unbelievably - only a tiny bit mind, otherwise the acid from the oranges can cause more discomfort. Sorbets were also tolerated. I couldn't touch dairy - even a cuppa would make me retch. Ice lollies worked ok for a while.

From memory (could well be wrong though) protein is digested in the stomach, so it may be an idea to be careful with protein rich foods (make sure you're taking a supplement, especially if you have HG). Small, regular portions of carbs might help. I actually found cous cous briefly tolerable.

Ohfourfoxache Thu 19-Nov-15 02:15:37

Just to follow on from blue - have you tried sleeping "propped up" but on your side with bump supported? Night time was pure hell.

FixItUpChappie Thu 19-Nov-15 03:13:06

sorry - been three twice....only thing that worked for me was a big gulp of liquid mint flavoured gavison. I had a bottle with me at all times. The tablet form are inedible IMO.

You have my sympathy!

hellsdells82 Thu 19-Nov-15 08:34:57

Thanks guys, im going to have my omeprazole in a tic, and have slept in all positions i can possibley get into to try and accomodate it and a rising bump! Ive got 2 other dc (15,9) and dont ever remember freling like this. I did however sleep a bit better last night but rekon thats down to the fact im just that knackered!
Im on a mission for rennie... hoping they dont taste like the awful gaviscon tabs...(the liquid is bad enough) but will deffo give it a try. Im not sure my unsettles tum can take much more,the second the indigestion goes im full of flippin gas...literally! Hurghhh... pregnancy... confused

MrsMolesworth Thu 19-Nov-15 08:37:13

Are you allowed Ranitidine when pregnant? You buy it over the counter and swallow the whole tablet, so you don't have to put up with chalky minty horribleness. They work like magic for me.

MrsMolesworth Thu 19-Nov-15 08:38:04

And eat low fat. Makes a massive difference.

perfectlybroken Thu 19-Nov-15 08:39:35

If you have an indian type grocers near you, go and get a packet of ajwain seeds. They are with the herbs and spices. Put a teaspoon in your mouth (not a particularly bad taste) and wash them down with water. Works like a dream. No idea what ajwain is in English, does anyone know?

May09Bump Thu 19-Nov-15 08:43:28

Cold milk or ginger beer - sipped slowly. I couldn't stomach medicines. Good luck!

Skiptonlass Thu 19-Nov-15 19:22:10

It's called carom or bishops weed.

Wish I'd know it worked, they sell it here!!

My son is 63.6% rennie tablets, I swear. I had heartburn like Alien acid.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now