Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Third Trimester - Diet & Weight Gain

(14 Posts)
fairyfeatures Wed 18-Nov-15 14:59:15

Had a bit of a shock on the scales Monday morning don't know why it was a shock the way I've been eating

33 weeks and I have gained 30lbs. I was hoping to only gain 25 full term if I am honest.

So I've kicked myself into touch - the naughties have gone and I am on a healthy eating mission of fruit and nutrition and fibre and goodness, hoping this will slow down the weight gain...

Anyone else? What are you eating?

Champagneformyrealfriends Wed 18-Nov-15 15:07:15

Everything and anything. I'm dreading getting weighed tbh. The thing is-I've dieted since I was 14 and this is the first time I've really let go in 14 years grin
But I do feel like I ought to rein it in soon!

fairyfeatures Wed 18-Nov-15 15:09:15

That's what I have been doing champagne until I got my reality check. I think I need to be good for a few weeks because I 100% plan on comfort eating indulging over Christmas!!

Runningupthathill82 Wed 18-Nov-15 15:09:13

30 weeks and 35lbs here. Not watching my diet though, just eating healthy (ish) food when I'm hungry.
Only gained 28lb total in my last pregnancy - and this time I've done far more exercise AND eaten better. It makes little sense...

Champagneformyrealfriends Wed 18-Nov-15 15:31:51

I'm the same fairy! Fully intend on enjoying Christmas this year! Particularly considering I'll not be able to drink! I was going to carry on doing Slimming World whilst pregnant but all I could stomach in the first trimester was crisps and bread grin so that went out of the window!

Junosmum Wed 18-Nov-15 16:11:45

I need to do the same fairy, I'm 31 weeks and have gained 15lbs which sounds great, except that 5lbs of those were in the last week. And I know that this is because I have done nothing but eat and eat. I need to do more exercise and eat more healthily. I haven't dared step on the scales this week, my clothes are tighter, and not just on the bump!

fairyfeatures Wed 18-Nov-15 16:18:20

First trimester I barely ate, and it was very limited, dry and could only eat early afternoon. Brought it all up as well. Second trimester I was eating anything and everything, carbs galore and gained hardly any weight, hit third trimester and it's piling on!

I think I will see how I get on this week. If I can maintain or even lose a little, I just don't want to have so much work to do when the baby gets here.. let alone lasting effects on my skin/body

brookeberry Wed 18-Nov-15 16:51:17

Can I ask your advice all? I'm 19 weeks and haven't gained a pound, but I was around a stone and a half overweight to begin with Do you think that's the reason? I'm eating a lot - will it all pile on overnight? grin

Runningupthathill82 Wed 18-Nov-15 17:48:19

Brooke - is it your first pregnancy? In my first pregnancy I barely gained anything in the first 20 weeks, then put on 2 stone in the last 20 weeks.
(this time, by contrast, I'd put on a stone before the 12 week scan, despite running 3-4 times a week and eating well!)
Also, you will gain less overall than someone who's a healthy weight. So, basically, don't worry!

Rufus200 Wed 18-Nov-15 19:23:21

28 weeks and 40lb weight gain. I had no intention of being good and was enjoying stuffing myself but was diagnosed with GD last week. So now I have no choice, day 10 of no chocolate, no cake, no biscuits and no mince pies. I'm miserable and still having high blood glucose despite cutting out all refined sugar and most carbohydrates. Christmas will be really miserable as I won't be able to eat any of the things I love.

Junosmum Wed 18-Nov-15 19:43:14

Brooke - at 19 weeks I'd lost 9lbs and gained 7 of it back, so had actually lost lbs. I've gained it all back and 15 more now!

fairyfeatures Thu 19-Nov-15 08:53:35

*Brooke, I hadn't gained at your stage either.
My sister was overweight at the beginning of her pregnancy and didn't put on any weight at all - she was very sick throughout though. The day after she had the baby, she was over a stone lighter than when she caught pregnant! If you're eating a lot, try to eat a lot of the right things. I have changed my habits now - lots of fruit, wholewheat and fibre. I'd love a huge bar of galaxy but at least I am always full! Also drinking lots of water as I always have. Helps with my weight in general & is good for the skin to avoid stretchmarks!

Ah Rufus, that does sound miserable! I'm feeling sorry for you! I hope you do allow yourself a little give on Christmas day at least!

jamtartandcustard Thu 19-Nov-15 09:12:27

I'm 36 weeks and have gained 45lb!!!! It's horrific! Id lost 10lb at the start of this year, then discovered I was pregnant and put that back on quickly and more. I just like food!
Already been researching the post baby diet

brookeberry Thu 19-Nov-15 09:29:28

Yes running it's my first pregnancy. Thanks juno and fairy I think I'm eating pretty well and drinking water constantly - I just wanted to make sure it was okay not to be gaining. I'm still at the worrying stage (although does it ever end?!). Can't wait for my 20 week scan for reassurance. Thanks all smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now