Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Resting and 'coping, after an early bleed

(8 Posts)
Artiepants Wed 18-Nov-15 12:29:46

I had a bleed a week ago at 6w. Quite a large amount but nothing since. Had a scan and there was a heartbeat.

It was a huge shock and I have been so upset. This is my third pregnancy and I didn't bleed with my two DD who are 6 (nearly 7) and 4.

I have been advised to rest and take it easy and all I can do is wait to see how pregnancy develops. Doc said it is 50/50 which was very disheartening to hear. I'm trying not to worry but this of course is easier said than done.

Any tips on how to get through this scary waiting period? I have another scan in 2.5 weeks.

5hell Wed 18-Nov-15 15:16:17

sorry you're going through this - it's so worrying isn't it?
I had 3 bleeds (6/7/8w) and felt convinced i was suffering another mc, but a scan at ~8w showed hb and a perigestational sac bleed. It was sort of good news, but I still didn't let myself get excited until much more recently (now 21w!).

I was advised to rest, so no exercise, no sex etc, but I did still go to work as I felt ok-ish (apart from the worry). After 12w scan they said I could behave normally again.

50/50 sounds a bit harsh, although I know they dont want us to get our hopes up, but I thought seeing the hb reduced risk of mc by quite some amount.

Good luck!

Artiepants Wed 18-Nov-15 16:24:16

Thanks shell. Happy to hear your pregnancy is now going well.

The waiting is just rubbish and I am taking it as easy as I can with 2 kids to look after. At least they distract me from the worry! Just hoping this is one of those cases where the outcome after a bleed is positive. Wish I had a crystal ball.

TillITookAnArrowToTheKnee Wed 18-Nov-15 16:27:48

flowers I bled at 8 weeks, 26 weeks and 28 weeks - the last one was severe and I was in hospital for 4 weeks on strict bed rest, during this time they found a host of other problems.

DD is now 7 grin

I remember the fear well, Un-MNey hugs for you.

danikagrace Wed 18-Nov-15 17:45:34

Big hugs. I really hope all works out well for you. Have you got a good audiobook (on your phone or something) that you can listen to as you're falling asleep / doing household tasks etc., I find that helps distract me some in times of stress and worry.

Raxacoricofallapatorius Wed 18-Nov-15 17:50:19

I was told to just carry on as normal after bleeding in early pregnancy. I found that quite reassuring. Whatever was going to happen would happen regardless and it wasn't down to anything I had or hadn't done.

I suppose it might be different if they identified a reason for the bleed and one which necessitated rest.

I have everything crossed for a positive outcome. I remember how scary it was.

ThePowerOfCake Wed 18-Nov-15 18:53:22

I had a bleed at around the same time as you in my last pregnancy. I was told that if they see a heartbeat after a bleed at that stage it was a 70-80% chance that everything would be ok, which sounds nicer than 50/50!

They didn't tell me to rest, just to avoid sex until the bleeding had stopped. I had bleeding at some level for the next month. DD is now a happy, healthy 18mo.

Look after yourself, your next scan will be here soon x

Artiepants Wed 18-Nov-15 20:14:23

Thanks for your replies. Always helps to hear from others even though it makes no difference to outcome. Safety in numbers and all that!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now