Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

I just drank a big glass of expired milk

(14 Posts)
Panther79 Wed 18-Nov-15 09:20:06

At work. Was dated the 8th.
Am scared of listeria and that I have hurt my baby.

Am freaking out, should I contact my midwife? I am 26 weeks pregnant.

sad

Junosmum Wed 18-Nov-15 09:25:34

How did it taste? If it tasted fine it will be fine. Milk in our fridge lasts ages.

Chances of catching listeria from dairy is really really slim.

Rinceoir Wed 18-Nov-15 09:25:29

Gone off milk generally tastes off. If it tasted ok it probably was.

VagueIdeas Wed 18-Nov-15 09:26:07

You would have known if it was off.

Fugghetaboutit Wed 18-Nov-15 09:26:43

Forget the date, how did it taste?

Last time I had a tiny bit of off milk in my tea I had the squits

bigbadbarry Wed 18-Nov-15 09:27:11

It's just like yogurt, really.

Panther79 Wed 18-Nov-15 09:30:39

Thanks guys for quick replies, am really thankful as I am scared shitless, first baby and all.

It tasted sour and smelled, that's what made me check the date.
Apparently everyone have been drinking it for a week and no one noticed.

If I wasn't pregnant, I wouldn't worry really but everything is so unknown and the little bub is so vulnerable, I feel scared.

TreadSoftlyOnMyDreams Wed 18-Nov-15 09:39:46

You drank a whole glass of sour milk? Wow you must have a strong stomach. Hats off. Or was it just a bit whiffy in that "Is it?" sort of way?

From my brief scan of Dr Google you are unlikely to get listeria as the milk was presumably originally pasturized, but food poisoning might be possible.

Panther79 Wed 18-Nov-15 09:47:46

I hate drinking milk so I gulp it down very quickly instead of slowly sipping!

Thanks Tread I will call my midwife just to be on the safe side otherwise I will worry endlessly all day.

TreadSoftlyOnMyDreams Wed 18-Nov-15 10:15:28

Why on earth are you drinking milk if you don't like it?

Gobbolinothewitchscat Wed 18-Nov-15 10:17:30

confused re: drinking milk you don't like. I think the pregnacare tabkets give you RDD of calcium so might be worth taking them

Runningupthathill82 Wed 18-Nov-15 14:51:40

It can't have been that off if you managed to drink a whole glass!

Trinpy Wed 18-Nov-15 15:00:47

If it makes you feel any better, I was drinking milk that was a month past its use by date for a week before I realised something was up. I didn't get listeria or food poisoning and 2 scans since then have shown a healthy baby growing well. I can also tell you from personal experience that when milk reeally goes of it won't stay in your stomach for very long confused.

Champagneformyrealfriends Wed 18-Nov-15 15:09:48

Really gone off milk is repulsive-try not to worry. I have a theory that our bodies tell us when something is a risk!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now