Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Raspberry leaf capsules

(6 Posts)
Picnic2223 Tue 17-Nov-15 20:57:25

Hi, just wondering if any one started taking these before their due date and if so when. I have a friend who recommended starting at 36 weeks to soften the uterus and get her ready for labour.
Any tips?

Raxacoricofallapatorius Tue 17-Nov-15 21:05:32

It's a uterine tonic aimed at making the second stage of labour or the pushing stage as it's more commonly known, more efficient.

I drank a lot of raspberry leaf tea anyway and always have but I gave it a miss until I was 37 weeks and then went back to drinking it, along with nettle tea to try and prevent my iron levels becoming too low.

Scoopmuckdizzy Tue 17-Nov-15 21:07:09

I think I started around 36 weeks- I went by what the label on the back of the bottle said. I had 2 straightforward and relatively easy births- I don't know if it was the RLT but I made sure to take it second time around just incase! I plan to take it this time too.

Sighing Tue 17-Nov-15 21:36:24

Some years ago, followng some hokey plan, I started at 35 weeks (every other day), then increased the dose at 36 weeks and again at 37 weeks.
I did have DD1 at 38 weeks. But i doubt it was the capsules.

Picnic2223 Tue 17-Nov-15 21:50:53

Thank you ladies, I'm just looking for advice I'm pretty sure my baby will appear when it is ready but I was curious about aiding the labour

putthePuffindown Wed 18-Nov-15 08:33:07

My midwife recommended starting at 36 weeks, going with the theory it can't hurt! She also recommended dried dates and that was backed up with a bit of evidence - google dates and pregnancy and you'll find an interesting study with some promising results around improved dilation and reduced intervention smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now