Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Ketones and hyperemisis.

(11 Posts)
ICantThinkOfAUsernameH Tue 17-Nov-15 20:39:14

Just wondered have any of you ladies been allowed home from a routine appt if you have 1/2+ ketones in wee?
I've an appointment tomorrow and my home testing sticks are showing ketones - I've already had 7 admissions this pregnancy and desperately trying to stay home. (I've reasons).

ICantThinkOfAUsernameH Tue 17-Nov-15 21:12:39

Anyone?

Junosmum Tue 17-Nov-15 21:51:11

It'll be due to dehydration and low blood sugar - when you don't eat enough (e.g. coz you throw it all up) you start to burn your energy stores, which creates ketones, add this to your dehydration and it appears as though you have more ketones than you do. Try sucking ice pops/ ice lollies, the really sugary ones, not the sugar free ones - liquid and carbs in one! If you can keep them down!

Swannykazoo Tue 17-Nov-15 21:55:21

I had one or two pluses of ketones for most of the first trimester. I generally said I was feeling a bit better, was drinking and would try and eat a bit more and they were happy with that. Good luck

ICantThinkOfAUsernameH Tue 17-Nov-15 22:16:40

juno I shall try that although nothing is stating down ATM sad
puggle I'll try that smile

ToastyFingers Wed 18-Nov-15 15:44:02

I was never admitted even when my ketone levels were very high, just told I needed to snack more hmm
I think it depends largely on what your midwife thinks, mine was pretty useless.

ToastyFingers Wed 18-Nov-15 15:45:42

Do you think you could keep down something like lucozade? Even if it's just a few sips, every little bit helps.

magicpuppy Wed 18-Nov-15 15:51:55

If you go into hospital before it gets too bad though you might get away with a one night stay to be rehydrated and it will give you strength to keep going. Whereas if you try to keep going the way you are now you could end up very ill. Voice of experience here. I ended up severely dehydrated and ketones ++++.

ICantThinkOfAUsernameH Wed 18-Nov-15 17:50:51

I ended back in sad +4 ketones and bad headaches. I made the mistake of rushing home on the weekend after endless admissions but they said they will get it under control.
famous last words

magicpuppy Thu 19-Nov-15 10:06:41

Sorry to hear that. Hyperemesis is awful, truly awful.

Tiredness definitely makes it so much worse.

Take it easy.

Hopefully it will pass.

Have you been given any medication?

ICantThinkOfAUsernameH Thu 19-Nov-15 13:38:47

It really is - they said its pancreatitis but I genuinely think it's from the HG that I've got it !
Thank you smile
Yeah I'm on all IV, ondanstaron, cyclyzine, presdisalone, rinitidine, clexane, aspirin, antibiotics and pain relief.
Still vomiting though sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now