Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

16 week appointment not at 16 weeks?

(11 Posts)
ProbablyMe Tue 17-Nov-15 14:46:40

I know I should really know this but it's been 12 years since my last baby. My 16 week midwife appointment has been booked for the middle of December. When it was booked it would have made me 17 weeks at the appointment, however, I had my 12 week scan yesterday which now puts me slightly further ahead and I will now be closer to 18 weeks.

Should I contact my midwife and try and bring it forward? I am classed as high risk for various reasons and am quite nervous having lost my last pregnancy at 15wks6days.

loveulotslikejellytots Tue 17-Nov-15 14:59:10

Ring and ask. I don't think it matters so much for the midwife appointments as such. I know certain scans have time frames. Most of my appointments over the summer were shuffled around her holiday and my holiday/work commitments. So I don't think it matters but maybe just call to check, especially if your due date has moved.

5hell Tue 17-Nov-15 17:00:47

my 16w appointment wasn't until 20w, and after my 20w scan! ...due to my holiday, mw holiday and then mw illness.

It was all fine and didn't seem to matter in the end, but tbh it was a long wait from 12w to get reassurance that all was ok (hadn't heard hb/seen anything in 8w after all); in your case as you're high risk I would try to see if your mw can squeeze you in closer to the correct time - worth asking.

good luck smile

Newlywed123 Tue 17-Nov-15 17:04:32

I had my 16 week appointment at 19/20 weeks and my 28 week appointment won't be until 30 weeks. I wouldn't worry smile

sepa Tue 17-Nov-15 19:22:45

From what I can remember from mine (8 weeks ago) there was nothing pressing that couldn't wait 2 weeks. Listened to heartbeat, asked if I was considering going to the birthing courses and ran through test results etc. I'm sure it will be fine waiting 2 weeks. If you want see if you can get one earlier

DorotheaHomeAlone Tue 17-Nov-15 19:45:21

Mine's scheduled for 20 weeks! Nothing urgent happens.

BadgerFace Tue 17-Nov-15 20:05:55

In my maternity notes it is called the 16-18 weeks midwife appointment so you're still in the right timeframe. My appointment was at 18 weeks.

Paperblank Tue 17-Nov-15 20:39:49

Mine was at 18 weeks, I think they aren't as set in stone as dating scans but you can always ring see if you can get an earlier appointment.

fredandme123 Tue 17-Nov-15 20:50:12

You could always try the GP and see if they will see you on the day you are 16wks think that's the earliest the Doppler is reliable. If your high risk they will not mind at all especially after your previous loss. Good luck with your pregnancy.

Autumn2014 Tue 17-Nov-15 21:40:11

I'd say it depends on why you ate high. I'm high risk because of previous pre eclampsia and premature delivery. My consultant wants my bp checked regularly so I need my mw appts.at regular intervals to meet this.

ProbablyMe Tue 17-Nov-15 22:12:10

Thanks for all the replies! I'll stop worrying about it then smile I'm already under a Consultant who I'm seeing next week. I'm high risk for my age (41), weight, hypothyroid, previous late miscarriage and my youngest son has a congenital condition. Fortunately I'm feeling pretty good now the tiredness and nausea have eased off!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now