Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Induction due to high BMI

(9 Posts)
annatha Mon 16-Nov-15 22:58:33

I'm seeing the consultant on Thursday and I'll be 40+3. Last week my midwife said I'll probably have a sweep then and book induction for the week after. Is that not a bit early? I had dd at 40+2. I was booked for induction at 41 weeks as her growth had slowed down but that hasn't happened this time so I was wondering if it was linked to my high bmi. I'd like to be left to go naturally unless there's a sound medical reason for inducing me but I wondered if this was a common thing.

LizKeen Mon 16-Nov-15 23:05:24

Afaik they like to induce around the 40+12 mark although it does vary by trust and area.

40+3 plus a week is 40+10, so sounds about right. Though if you don't want to be induced you need to discuss that with them. They will just automatically go down the induction route unless you say something.

I don't know how BMI affects it, but there are increased risks with high BMI and increased risks with going overdue, so there is a lot to consider.

I have a high BMI. I was booked in for induction at 40+13 with DD1 but went myself at 40+11. With DD2 I was induced at 40+10.

babyiwantabump Mon 16-Nov-15 23:06:38

It's normal for induction to be at around 40+12 so they are not exactly inducing you early.

Also you can always say no!

babyiwantabump Mon 16-Nov-15 23:26:24

www.nice.org.uk/guidance/cg70/evidence/full-guideline-241871149

annatha Mon 16-Nov-15 23:43:18

Sorry I wasn't very clear in my op, the midwife suggested that I'd see the consultant at 40+3 and be induced at 40+7.

ilovehotsauce Tue 17-Nov-15 00:00:44

You'd have to give an indication of how high your bmi is really mine was 40 last time 38 this time. I have made it very clear this time I do not think my weight is justification to force me into unwanted medical procedures during pregnancy.

Don't let them scare you, a high bmi generally doesn't effect baby unless you have gdd or slow growth. flowers good luck with the birth

babyiwantabump Tue 17-Nov-15 00:13:38

www.rcog.org.uk/globalassets/documents/guidelines/cmacercogjointguidelinemanagementwomenobesitypregnancya.pdf

Raised BMI alone is not an indication for induction - if you have other risk factors then it's a different story - see both links I've posted

annatha Tue 17-Nov-15 00:22:53

Thanks babyIwant that's really helpful, my bmi (42) is the only thing that deems me high risk. Last pg it was the same and I had a healthy pregnancy, brilliant labour and quick recovery. I haven't actually seem a consultant at all during my pregnancy so they can't be that worried about me!

babyiwantabump Sun 29-Nov-15 09:57:19

Have you had a baby yet OP?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now