Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Fillings at dentist??

(7 Posts)
novemberchild Mon 16-Nov-15 21:20:28

Does anyone know if one can have a filling while pregnant? I am only a few weeks gone and scheduled this filling in December before I knew.

MumCodes Mon 16-Nov-15 21:24:59

They recommend you avoid dental xrays in your first trimester (and some other to avoid them for the whole pregnancy), so it depends on the tooth and your dentist.

If it's a straight drill and fill they might be happy to do it without an xray, but others might prefer to do something temporary and complete it once you've had the baby.

novemberchild Mon 16-Nov-15 21:27:00

I'd rather leave it completely, to be honest, until I've had him/herbut that might not be until June!

Can it wait? Will I die of tooth decay in the meantime??

clarabellabunting Mon 16-Nov-15 21:33:10

I'm 27 weeks pregnant sand had two fillings last Friday. The dentist was quite happy to do it but did say he doesn't like to X-ray pregnant women.

Chchchchangeabout Mon 16-Nov-15 21:34:45

I had fillings and dental work but no X-rays. Baby seems fine now and has survived to toddlerhood.

Junosmum Mon 16-Nov-15 22:07:37

You are more susceptible to the infection and tooth decay in pregnancy due to increased calcium needs so you may be better off having the filing otherwise it could cause bigger issues. Speak to your dentist, they may recommend you wait until second trimester to have the work done.

mumchkin Tue 17-Nov-15 04:33:23

White composite fillings are fine but not mercury (either putting in or having removed). It's really important to have good dental care in pregnancy as decay and gum disease have been linked to preterm births.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now