Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

How long are you supposed to take folic acid for?

(10 Posts)
BettyBi0 Sun 15-Nov-15 19:33:23

I had a pretty gloomy 12 week scan followed by harmony test which came back negative but I just realised that I've completely forgotten to take my normal vitamins (folic acid, omega 3, pregnacare and probiotic) since the bad scan. So weeks 12-16 I've somehow managed to completely forget them. It's like some horrible mental block or detachment thing going on.

Anyway.... Is the folic acid just essential in first trimester or are you supposed to take it the whole way through?

bluewisteria Sun 15-Nov-15 19:38:07

I think it is mainly the first trimester and pre pregnancy that it is recommended, but to carry on if you want to.

Don't worry, I kept no Folic Acid down whatsoever for any of my children due to hyperemesis and they are all fine. I hope this one will be too. There is Folic Acid added to bread and cereals which helps.

sepa Sun 15-Nov-15 20:31:45

I think as blue said that it's pre pregnancy and up to 12 weeks. I didn't start taking mine till week 5 and took them for about 90 days I think

Bishboshbash Sun 15-Nov-15 20:34:02

I was told by the midwife I can stop taking them at 12 weeks.

LariyahSpen Sun 15-Nov-15 22:27:55

Hello

I'm sure you'll be fine just try & keep & taking them from now on every day. I took Pregnacare from week 5 until the day my daughter was born, as they contain multi vitamins too I was advised to take them until the end.

Cheshirehello79 Mon 16-Nov-15 01:48:35

I'm 37+ 4 and I'm still taking folic acid. My midwife told me not to stop and top it up with multivitamin .. I guess every midwife is different

thundernlightning Mon 16-Nov-15 02:29:41

Many foods are fortified with folic acid in Canada, and it might be the same in the UK. It's possible you've been getting folic acid in your diet even though you haven't been taking it. Even if that's not the case in the UK, I've heard the neural tube defects occur very early in pregnancy (which is why women of childbearing age are advised to take it even if they're not trying to get pregnant), so I wouldn't worry.

thundernlightning Mon 16-Nov-15 02:30:41

(Though I would tell my midwife and as her what to do now!)

thundernlightning Mon 16-Nov-15 02:31:43

Oh my good lord, I swear I'm not drunk, just clumsy. I mean 'call my midwife' and ask her what to do. Yeesh!

TwigsWithStupidLittleLightsOn Mon 16-Nov-15 07:06:21

I'm also still taking them (30 weeks). But then I have low iron levels so take folic acid as part of normal preggo multivit.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: