Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Anybody moved house at 9 months pregnant?

(23 Posts)
Stylingwax Sun 15-Nov-15 18:14:06

Currently 33 weeks, still working full time, with a two year old. Supposed to be moving late February into a house still being built but for various reasons (current location, environment) I'm desperate to go now.
Is it totally mad to uproot toddler and move to another place just before birth? Could probably stay with family. DP may or may not come given he's about as useful as a chocolate teapot.

MrsCrimshaw Sun 15-Nov-15 18:21:13

We've just moved 2 weeks ago and I am now 36+5. We had a nightmare with having to go through 3 different buyers and the whole process taking 6 months in the end.

I was useless during the move and my OH found the whole thing incredibly stressful. The one thing I would say is that a good removal company are well worth paying for - we did it ourselves (well, I did f-all really) with friends but in retrospect should have paid for help. Naively we thought that as we were only moving a few doors down the road, it would all be easy. Wrong!

My advice would be to either pay for removals, or wait until after the birth until a time when you are physically able to help. Good luck!

Iammad Sun 15-Nov-15 18:25:37

I'm 31 weeks and due Jan, wouldn't you of had the baby by the end of Feb?
I moved in late pregnancy and it was hard work, but easier then a tiny baby to look after unless you can have help with the children.

Stylingwax Sun 15-Nov-15 18:36:58

Yep am due beginning of Jan. So supposed to be having baby then moving end of Feb from NW to Midlands which is where my family are, but really want to go now, which would probably be in a few weeks.
I am quite organised and don't have a load of stuff anyway. If I stayed with family I'd just get removals and put stuff in storage till new house is ready. DP is alas useless.
So practically I'm not too bothered, but it would mean a) moving from the local NW hospital that I like and b) unsettling DS to go and stay with family for 6 weeks and then move again. Having said that, family are local to new house.
Really makes sense to stay put as planned but I'm going nuts.

PinkFlamingoAteMyLipstick Sun 15-Nov-15 18:40:05

I did it - with 2 year old too. It was fine, although it took six months to unpack boxes

anothernumberone Sun 15-Nov-15 18:42:12

Yes 3 times. 5 months pregnant, 7 months pregnant and 38 weeks pregnant. Actually the last house we moved to the woman who moved out had a two week old so the HV visited 2 separate babies at the address in a month. It was always difficult.

Chattymummyhere Sun 15-Nov-15 18:46:51

I moved house 2 weeks before I gave birth to dc2. It wasn't too bad.

1) call in every favour you can
2) mark all boxes for what room
3) get the painting done before you move in
4) make the stronger people do all the furniture building

5) you relax with any dc you have till beds etc are all built in the right rooms, unpack the simple things like kettle/clothes etc order a take away and relax

Only1scoop Sun 15-Nov-15 18:51:56

Yes moved from apartment into our house two days after birth.

Packed up our house and van loads of bits. Was even driving the transit van day before ELCS.

Went into hospital had dd then went into new house without even a curtain at the window.

It was a fucking nitemare.

bigfam Sun 15-Nov-15 18:52:43

2 days after moving! We moved on the 26th of january and in the early hours of the 28th (just after we'd finished painting and putting the carpet down!) I went into labour!!! grin

crispytruffle Sun 15-Nov-15 19:02:56

I moved into half a building site of a house with a toddler and two weeks before I was due my DD. We were in the middle of a two storey side extension being built and had been staying with family but I was desperate to just get into my own house. I had all the rooms upstairs painted so we sort of lived in one room until the finishing touches were done to the extensions. I was glad we moved, I really just wanted to be in my own house when our baby was born.

Hobbes8 Sun 15-Nov-15 19:05:48

I moved at 39+2 to a house 90 minutes away. It wasn't ideal, but the move kept getting pushed back and it ended up being then or never. We paid for a packing service alongside our removals and which was well worth it - they appeared the day before completion, packed everything that wasn't nailed down in record time, and then loaded the van and moved on completion day. They put our beds up in the new house as well.

We asked my in laws to look after my 2 year old on the day so he was mostly out of the way. They were fab and spent 2 days with us helping us clean and unpack. Lots of things didn't get sorted until some time after the birth though.

I spoke to my midwife in the run up to the move and said it might end up being just before the birth. She said it wasn't uncommon, and in the worst case scenario I could just turn up at the new hospital with my hand held notes and they would deliver the baby for me! In the event I rang the new hospital on moving day and they fitted me in with a midwife appointment that weekend, which was amazing. And as it turned out she was delivered by paramedics do it wouldn't have made a difference!

Good luck with whatever you decide

princesspineapple Sun 15-Nov-15 20:56:57

We could be in a very similar situation! Our new build is due for completion March/April, and our (surprise!) baby is due March 16th...
I agree with PPs about being organised... And I think removal companies save relationships! I'm hoping that my organisation skills leading up to house/baby due date will mean that if I have to be in hospital, moving day can be done without me smile so that would probably be my advice, plan so much that you won't have to do anything! smile

TheHelpfulHiker Sun 15-Nov-15 21:04:45

We moved beginning of December last yr, DS1 was born beginning of January. It was awful, we did it ourselves so I was pretty useless. I remember going to the tip when i was about 38 weeks and thinking I would rather be at home watching daytime tv and eating biscuits. BUT it was great being in our own home for Christmas and I would've hated moving when DS was tiny. It worked out in the end but I'd never do it again!

Newlywed123 Sun 15-Nov-15 21:05:26

I moved house at 35 weeks, gave birth 2 weeks later! Was nice staying busy and pre-occupied towards the end. But was draining!

Iwouldneverbotheryou Sun 15-Nov-15 21:15:53

On my due date I was in a kind of slow labour and was out buying curtains and bedding during contractions.
We already had some bits in the new place and the day after I was buying a tv stand, the day after bringing Baby stuff from the old house and was sent home from hospital all 3 nights. The day after that I finally stayed in overnight and ds arrived the next day. I had to stay in a couple of nights and people helped bring more stuff and I came home to the new house. The weekend after we moved the rest.
I think it should be fine based on experience as long as you have plenty of reliable help & support and somewhere to bring the baby home to.
We lived in a flat that was falling down around us and didn't get the new place until the week I was due. A bit mad but it worked out and we now have a lovely new home with 14 week old ds and are all very happy smile
Good luck if you do it!

applecatchers36 Sun 15-Nov-15 21:28:53

We moved when I was 36 weeks pregnant and DD was 2 weeks overdue in the end.

Was fine, obvs you can't lift or do much hard graft, DP had a man with a van for heavy boxes etc..

We only decorated the nursery before birth & gratefully accepted any offers of help with this from PIL?

Then we slowly did the rest of the house up over the next year or so. We wanted to live in the house for a bit before deciding how we would decorate/ change things.

Babies only need you, warmth, milk etc..

Good luck with it all!

BuggerLumpsAnnoyed Sun 15-Nov-15 21:37:04

I moved on my due weekend (DS was born a week later)

You just get through it, it'll be fine!

Stylingwax Sun 15-Nov-15 21:44:21

Ooo thanks everyone. I may well think about it, to be honest I think I'd rather go with a bump than with a baby - at least bump is confined! Xx

Hannit Mon 16-Nov-15 06:49:15

I moved house on the Monday gave went o to labour on Tuesday .. She was here at 12:14am Wednesday! Was our first house so was extra stressful! I was in hospital for a week after so all friends and family members chipped in whilst I was away to have it done! Good luck flowers

Rinceoir Mon 16-Nov-15 06:58:52

I moved from Ireland to London at 36 weeks. Came over on ferry. We rent unfurnished so I spent a week frantically ordering furniture and household items, and waiting for deliveries. it was fairly stressful, but it all worked out.

Jhm9rhs Mon 16-Nov-15 07:04:40

I've moved at 36 weeks with twins and again when they were 5 months old. Neither was ideal, but we coped! Just allow yourself longer to sort things on both ends of the move. Much, much longer. It'll be ok x

Skiptonlass Mon 16-Nov-15 07:57:48

We built a house while I was pregnant and moved in my third trimester smile

I second the pp above who says to get movers. get movers

I'll not lie, it was not easy moving, but much, much better I be in and settled before the baby arrives.

We still have boxes left to unpacking no curtains, but we do love the house ;)

No lifting! Get movers to do it and you just stand (or sit) and direct it all.

Laura7010 Mon 16-Nov-15 08:55:58

We moved about two and a half weeks ago when I was 36 weeks. It was the most stressful thing I've ever done but that's because of incompetent estate agents. I'm glad we are in our own home for when the baby arrives. Things are slowly getting done, living room is decorated and we hopefully should have new carpets for Christmas smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now