Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Changing bag for a new daddy

(104 Posts)
Icklepickle101 Sun 15-Nov-15 14:03:40

DC1 due in January so for christmas I'm putting together a 'daddy changing bag' which I think he will love!!

So far I've got a manly changing bag, wipes, bum cream, travel change mat, lip balm, an emergency bar of galaxy, chewing gum & a costa gift card so he can go for a coffee.

What else would you put in for your DP?

howtorebuild Sun 15-Nov-15 14:08:32

We had a unisex one everyone used.

Icklepickle101 Sun 15-Nov-15 14:11:40

I know a lot of people do HowTo but my DM treated me to a beautiful new leather bag which I will use as a handbag/change bag so it made sense for DP to have his own and wanted to make it a bit more special for him

Runningupthathill82 Sun 15-Nov-15 14:12:59

Sorry, both of us just shared the same rucksack, so I can't help but hmm at "manly changing bag."

howtorebuild Sun 15-Nov-15 14:14:05

I personally wasn't keen on baby gifts for me, and where will you put all these bags? Nappies will change in size, wipes dry out and so forth. You would be better off having one bag you raid and replenish.

FabergeEggs Sun 15-Nov-15 14:15:13

Why are you infantalising your husband?

Kr1stina Sun 15-Nov-15 14:16:52

Isn't the changing bag for the baby and not the parent ? would you have a different bag for a boy or a girl ? I don't understand.

And why would you need the reward of a coffee in Costa just for changing a nappy ? You'll spend a fortune and put on several stone if you do that for long . Newborns need a lot of changes every day

Kr1stina Sun 15-Nov-15 14:17:55

And your baby won't need lip balm or chocolate either. How weird .

sparechange Sun 15-Nov-15 14:20:04

Chewing gum? confused
I've been changing nappies wrong, clearly

SapientPearwood Sun 15-Nov-15 14:20:11

My DH did use his own bag when DCs were older, but just used the free one from Boots or a normal rucksack which he decanted the changing bag stuff into. In the early days he didn't really go off with the baby alone as we were breastfeeding. Where will your DH be going?

MrsAukerman Sun 15-Nov-15 14:20:41

Ds couldn't be apart from me for more than about an hour until he was about 6 months. A "manly" changing bag would only just be coming into its own now and ds is nearly 1.
A £5 rucksack from eBay has done just fine.

howtorebuild Sun 15-Nov-15 14:20:52

Chewing gum for sticking the nappy together? confused

TeaPleaseLouise Sun 15-Nov-15 14:21:13

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Finola1step Sun 15-Nov-15 14:21:22

Nappy bags, a couple of muslin cloths, a travel mug for those precious cups of coffee or tea that never get finished!

Lj8893 Sun 15-Nov-15 14:23:16

I'm another one that doesn't get it.

We just had one changing bag, with the necessary bits in. Depending on who was using it at the time, we would add bits like lip balm, purse/wallet etc on a daily basis.

Dh would think I had lost the plot if I presented him with a "manly changing bag".

PotteringAlong Sun 15-Nov-15 14:23:41

He doesn't need a bag; he just needs to bung 2 nappies and a packet of babywipes in the bottom of the pram, the same as you. Or in whatever bag you already own if you're using a sling. Honestly, a special changing bag isn't needed. You definitely don't need 2 of them. Realistically, how many times will your DH be with the baby without you?

TeaPleaseLouise Sun 15-Nov-15 14:24:05

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Champagneformyrealfriends Sun 15-Nov-15 14:24:19

Teething/colic powders? Antibacterial hand gel? xx

Icklepickle101 Sun 15-Nov-15 14:27:38

I didn't realise it was quite so usual to have separate bags.

I will be going back to work after about 15 weeks and DP will be taking leave to care for LO, so will often be out with the baby without me. Chewing gum, lip balm and a snack for DP would normally be in my handbag when we go out so DP will have somewhere to put these things in his own bag. Costa gist card would have been in his stocking anyway so will pop it in the bag so he can grab a coffee when he is out and about.

By manly it's just plain black, mine is just very definitely handbag looking!

Will add hand wipes, thanks Tea

Finola1step Sun 15-Nov-15 14:28:16

Icklepickle I have just read this thread out to my dh. He would have loved such a bag for Christmas. He said add in a bottle of beer. But he did make it clear that having a bottle of beer every time he changed a nappy was not such a good idea grin

A nice pair of warm gloves?

Lj8893 Sun 15-Nov-15 14:29:09

Would you just not put the same stuff in it that you will have in any other changing bag?

Nappies
Wipes
Changing mat
Spare clothes
Muslin cloth

Feeding related stuff (bottles etc) would need to be put in on an as and when basis so unnessary right now.

Icklepickle101 Sun 15-Nov-15 14:30:29

Thanks Fionla I was starting to think it was a bad idea!!

Newlywed123 Sun 15-Nov-15 14:30:51

Everyone is different, I think it's a lovely idea. But I personally wouldn't do it.

Personalised travel mug, baby lotion, cotton wool, I think chewing gum is a nice idea.. Or maybe a tin of mints? Bibs with Daddy sayings on it?

randomsabreuse Sun 15-Nov-15 14:30:53

Hand gel is useful, change of clothes for both - see the nappy changing challenges thread for why - in the early days you might find that the baby takes the removal of the nappy as their cue to let it out and with wind behind it there is some force. Or the whole feed comes back soaking adult and baby.

Did start with a smart little "change bag" and just use a smallish rucksack. Also wouldn't say 2 nappies is enough - my DD frequently fills the new one as soon as it's on and has been known to do that twice in quick succession ignoring the ability to pee on the half on clean nappy!

SoozeyHoozey Sun 15-Nov-15 14:31:30

I'd want a Christmas present for me, not full of baby stuff, as would dp. Your own wants and desires don't cease to exist when you're a parent.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now