Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Do midwives do internal examinations at appointments?

(15 Posts)
mrsjoker35 Sun 15-Nov-15 13:09:08

Im 38 weeks pregnant today, and i have my 38 week appointment tomorrow. I know their going to do blood tests.
But is there at any point they'll want to check internally??

PotteringAlong Sun 15-Nov-15 13:10:02

No. Not unless they do a sweep and here that's not until 41 weeks at least

WhyBeHappyWhenYouCouldBeNormal Sun 15-Nov-15 13:10:45

Not until you're in labour - there's not much to see!

They won't have a look unless you go overdue and want them to do a stretch and sweep/ check for cervix 'softness'

Fugghetaboutit Sun 15-Nov-15 13:17:07

The only one I had was when labour started and to see how many cms I was. Think she did a sweep too as it was so fucking painful I jumped 2 feet off the bed and there was lots of blood. No warning either.

eckythumpenallthat Sun 15-Nov-15 13:19:20

A others have said. No. The only ones I had were for attempted and unsuccessful sweeps when I was overdue

Buttercup27 Sun 15-Nov-15 13:19:28

I had a sweep at 36+5 at my midwife appointment so she may ask if you want one.

Fugghetaboutit Sun 15-Nov-15 13:21:05

How come they gave you a sweep before full term Butter?

Tootsiepops Sun 15-Nov-15 13:25:18

I had my 38 week check up last week. I wanted a sweep as I'm due to be induced on Friday, but midwife said it was pointless that early if it's your first as the cervix would be too high up to reach without a lot of discomfort.

Buttercup27 Sun 15-Nov-15 17:38:21

Second baby, had growth scans so new everything was OK. The next appointment would have been 38 weeks.
I was very uncomfortable and baby was fully engaged.
I think it helped as I new my midwife very well (she was my midwife for all of my appointments for dc1 which was 18 months before) and she had also been my midwife all through this pregnancy too. Ds2 was born at 36+6, ds1 37 weeks.

goodnessgraciousgoudaoriginal Sun 15-Nov-15 18:41:03

shrug

Over here we have an internal cervix check at every midwife appointment starting from the 6th month, to make sure it's still "closed".

I would have assumed it was the same in the UK but there you go.

mrsjoker35 Sun 15-Nov-15 20:17:26

Thanks for the replys . quite varied. I kinda wanted to prepare myself if it was a possibility that it could happen. Ill prepare and "prep" myself just incase ??

Sighing Mon 16-Nov-15 13:00:29

I had an internal check at 37 weeks with DD2. I delivered DD1 at 38 weeks so the midwife was just checking for anything 'obvious'. She didn't make any remarks. DD2 also born at 38 weeks. So I doubt before 40 weeks they'd expect anything with a first one. I think if there is a reason to (bleeding, change in discharge, pressure, bump lower) they might but otherwise it would be discomfort with little reason.

Loraline Mon 16-Nov-15 13:05:08

An internal at every appt from then on goodnessgraciousgoudaoriginal ? Wow. Seems unnecessary but always interesting how differently they do things in different countries. Where are you?

TheOmeletteBadge Mon 16-Nov-15 13:06:37

Never.

Seems strange that internals are routinely carried out elsewhere, just to check the cervix is closed? I'd imagine it's more risky to interfere with things up there.

Everythinggettingbigger Mon 16-Nov-15 13:41:18

i had a sweep at 38 weeks and then one at 39 weeks and one at 40+3 which sent me into labour. Midwife never just checked internally for no reason, if there was a reason to I was sent to the hospital for dr to.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now