Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Progesterone supplements past 12 weeks

(7 Posts)
need15 Thu 12-Nov-15 13:42:24

Does anyone know any reasons NOT to take progesterone suppositories past 12 weeks please? I tolerate them fine and was prescribed then from BFP by GP in this pregnancy due to 2 previous 1st trimester MCs with cause unknown. I also took them until around 10 weeks with my son, an IVF pregnancy so they were standard treatment and vital due to the IVF.
But my consultant had told me to stop them now. I saw her this week and am now 14 weeks. I am now questioning that as what's the harm in continuing with them if it gives me added reassurance? Anyone?

CorBlimeyTrousers Thu 12-Nov-15 13:51:42

Did you ask your consultant this question? I had an IVF pregnancy and used progesterone suppositories and injections in the bum. If I recall correctly I stopped the injections first, then dropped from two to one suppository a day and then stopped completely at about 12/14 weeks I think. I understand being worried (I felt like that too) but by then the placenta has taken over so that's why you don't need progesterone any more.

Good luck.

Brummiegirl15 Thu 12-Nov-15 15:09:18

I took my progesterone until 15 weeks as I eased myself off them.

If all is ok then you really don't need them as the placenta is making gallons of the stuff

I've had 3 losses so I know how you feel about stopping them. But they become a crutch after a certain point and you honestly don't need them. I'm 28 weeks now

brookeberry Thu 12-Nov-15 15:46:31

Hi need I also took progesterone pessaries (after 3 1st trimester mcs). I didn't really want to stop taking them as I found them very reassuring. I took them up to 14 wks when my consultant said I didn't need them any more. Like corblimey says, the placenta has now taken over and there is no need for them. I'm now 18 weeks smile

spacefrog35 Thu 12-Nov-15 16:58:22

Taking progesterone after 14 weeks isn't likely to do any harm. I'm taking it for different reasons & started at 16 weeks will be taking it until at least 28 weeks. Having said that whilst I totally get the wanting to 'do' something proactive if you don't need to put extra chemicals in your body then personally I wouldn't. There's lots of other ways to be proactive and have a healthy pregnancy. Have a chat with a midwife or consultant, explain your fears and ask them to talk you through options.

I hope everything continues smoothly for you flowers

Augustina123 Thu 12-Nov-15 19:30:05

Hi need15, maybe best to ask your consultant?

I'm on a clinical trial for progesterone for women with early pregnancy bleeding and was told to take the pessaries until 16 weeks. Of course, I don't know whether I'm actually on the progesterone or the placebo, but assuming that some participants are on the former, the researchers don't seem to have any hesitation for them to take the progesterone until Week 16.

mascaraisamust Thu 12-Nov-15 21:28:07

Ah ive been thinking this too. Only just got my BFP but been taking them since a few days after ovulation and as I mc in August I know I'll be anxious to stop them!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now