Talk

Advanced search

Free/discounted things when pregnant

(31 Posts)
Louise34567 Wed 11-Nov-15 15:18:30

I know the dentist is free when you're pregnant. Is there anything else?

clarabellski Wed 11-Nov-15 15:33:42

Don't know, but when I was in the states on holiday earlier this year, I noticed that the parent & child parking spaces were also '& pregnant ladies'. That would be amazing if they introduced that over here, particularly for the latter waddling stage.

Louise34567 Wed 11-Nov-15 15:44:40

That would be amazing clara!!

dizzylemon Wed 11-Nov-15 15:58:22

That would be great, though I do no think there should be an issue if you park in such a spot anyway. You are 'with child' after all!

Picnic2223 Wed 11-Nov-15 16:22:30

Ive seen a few expectant mother parking spaces in the UK, not that common though.

hellsdells82 Wed 11-Nov-15 16:33:38

I get prescriptions free...think till baby is 12 months old. We have a card sent from tax credits as i normally pay for them and dental treatment.
I once had a debate about parking spaces and pregnant ladies...think the use of disabled spaces came into it,kindof wished i didnt open my mouth at the time ???? was only thinking of those with pelvic problems whilst preg.

Brummiegirl15 Wed 11-Nov-15 18:39:16

Prescriptions are free until your baby is 1 year old.

You need to get an exemption card from your GP.

However dentist is only free if you have an NHS dentist. Private dentists don't have to give you free treatment

sepa Wed 11-Nov-15 18:39:50

Parking in bigger spaces whilst pg would be amazing. I keep saying that soon I won't be able to get out of the car in a normal space!

MouldyPeach Wed 11-Nov-15 18:41:45

You can get free vitamins and flu jab too smile

Louise34567 Wed 11-Nov-15 20:26:17

Free vitamins Mouldy? Oooh, how/what?

And yes ha ha I think those parking spaces should include pregnant women!

BexusSugarush Wed 11-Nov-15 20:57:11

If you live in Bristol then the city council let pregnant women swim for free at the main local leisure centres.

Mumberjack Thu 12-Nov-15 04:00:16

Bristol city council has the right idea!!

I parked in p&c spaces when heavily pregnant with my elder child - I'm sure if anyone dared question me the hormonal rage would have taken care of matters grin

MouldyPeach Thu 12-Nov-15 07:51:28

Yes louise the lady at the Boots pharmacy told me about them and gave me them there and then. Just regular preg vitamins. They also do the flu jab there.

Louise34567 Thu 12-Nov-15 08:49:08

Wow Mouldy that's amazing. Did you have a medical card to prove it, or did she take you at your word?

BikeRunSki Thu 12-Nov-15 08:53:16

You get free swimming in Barnsley too, or at least did 4 years ago.

Not quite the same thing, but if you get Childcare Vouchers trough work, your employer has to keep paying them when you go on SMP.

MouldyPeach Thu 12-Nov-15 08:54:15

No, I was picking up an unrelated prescription and when the pharmacist asked if I was pregnant, as they do when handing over meds, she gave me the vits. I had to sign a form they had but she didn't ask to see anything from me smile

rosieliveson1 Thu 12-Nov-15 08:56:22

If you join boots baby club you get free stuff. Think the major supermarkets all have a club that offers some samples or freebies roo

clarabellski Thu 12-Nov-15 09:15:12

Meant to say, in scotland we get discounted "sure start" vitamins as well (vit D, vit C and folic acid in one tablet) - they are around a £1. not sure if E&W has similar thing but obviously heaps cheaper than branded vitamins

OhWhatAPalaver Thu 12-Nov-15 10:51:27

We do have the healthy start vitamins, you can get them from the clinic where your health visitors or midwives are based smile the tabs are only £1.25

nuttybananas Thu 12-Nov-15 14:42:11

we have a very reduced/subsidized aqua natal classes at our council pool

this might be the right place to ask - is the boots freebies a one-off or do you get them a second time for a second pregnancy? We loved the freebie changing bag but it is on its last legs and won't make it through a second child and I wondered if I'd be able to get another one...

CarShare Thu 12-Nov-15 14:45:14

Pret a manger regularly give me my breakfast for free on the way to work 'for the baby'.

jmac88 Thu 12-Nov-15 17:29:02

How do you get the free boots stuff????

BikeRunSki Thu 12-Nov-15 19:11:29

You need to register with their Baby Club Jmac88, Tesco and Sainsbury's do a similar thing. It's basically vouchers for points and the occasional sample. You get double points on baby stuff with Boots Baby Club until your baby is 2.

BikeRunSki Thu 12-Nov-15 19:13:03

nutty I got a second Boots bag second time round, but my DC1 was older than 2 when DC2 was on her way, so my original Boot Baby Club membership had expired.

nuttybananas Thu 12-Nov-15 19:19:26

thanks bike - dd will be 3 when #2 is born so I'll see if I can sign up again when I can drag myself out to the shops!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now