Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

no heartbeat at scan

(46 Posts)
RoTo72 Tue 10-Nov-15 09:27:25

Hi. I found out 2+ weeks ago I was pregnant. I'm 43 with a son of 15. It was a shock at first, but quickly became excited. GP put me at 10 weeks as my last period was 3 weeks late, my periods have always been all over the place. Went for dating scan yesterday and they couldn't find a heartbeat, midwife thought baby might have stoped developing , so she got a doc to do an internal scan, he thinks I'm only about 6 weeks ,still no heartbeat, seen two yolk sacks and one fetus. Have to go back in two weeks to early pregnancy clinic for another scan. I'm terrified that I'm about to m/c. Have spent yesterday in tears. Don't know how Il get through the next two weeks.

CityMole Tue 10-Nov-15 09:50:54

I'm so sorry you're going through this. I have to confess, I'm a little bit confused by your dates. If you are 3 weeks late, then going by a 28 day cycle you'd be 5 weeks at that point. With irregular cycles this can be knocked out a little, but how did he get to 10 weeks?? Is there any chance that going from your dates, you were 5 weeks when you found out, so that you are only 7 now? Not trying to give you false hope, but if there's a chance?... The waiting is so awful big hugs to you flowers

RoTo72 Tue 10-Nov-15 09:56:28

I honestly don't know where she got 10 weeks from. I was in such shock I nodded and left. I was v worried as symptoms seemed to be easing off too, tho.at the min I'm feeling really nauseous and dizzy again. Doc at maternity dated at 6 week 0 days.

RoTo72 Tue 10-Nov-15 09:59:21

Sorry I didn't explain, she dated at 10 as my last period was 3 weeks late, but it did come and I did a teat then that came back negative, don't think gp was right in ger dating. I was around 2-3 weeks late for following period when did test and got positive result.

Sezramum Tue 10-Nov-15 12:14:22

I am sorry to hear that you are going through this. You must not know what to think at the moment.

I am also 43, but my cycle was always fairly regular (I thought). The month I conceived though, I was two weeks late before I got a positive result. It turned out I must have conceived when I actually thought my period should be starting.

I think our bodies do not always do what they think they should when we get a little older!

I spent much of my first few weeks in tears, mainly due to doing Clear Blue pregnancy tests that made me think I wasn't progressing and my HCG levels weren't rising. I was convinced I was going to lose the baby. I had my early scan at 7 weeks (I thought I was 9) and all that could be seen was a blob with a heart beat. I am now just coming up to 17 weeks.

I guess what I am trying to say is, for now try not to worry (stupid thing to say I know!). The Doctor did not say there was no pregnancy, it is just very early and earlier that you initially thought. But this does not mean that it will end in MC as it is not always possible to detect a heart beat at 6 weeks.

Is there anyway your local doctor could do a blood test to check your HCG levels are rising whilst you wait for the scan?

Another MN member told me to say everyday that 'Today I am still pregnant'. I did, and I think it helped me reassure myself.

Do let us know how you get on and I will be keeping everything crossed for you. flowers

Eminado Tue 10-Nov-15 12:28:32

Sorry this has happened. flowers

Unfortunately in my case it was a mmc and I am still devastated.

I wish you a better outcome. Hugs.

RoTo72 Tue 10-Nov-15 13:01:09

Sorry to hear that Eminado, its an awful situation to be in. This may sound stupid but I felt like I bonded already with it, and could visualise having ba in r lives. Now I'm terrified and my heart is breaking. But Sezramum, ur right. I am still pregnant, still felt sick and dizzy earlier. Haven't had any spotting and only usual cramping that as far as I remember r the same as my first healthy pregnancy.

Eminado Tue 10-Nov-15 13:03:57

Yes that is exactly the thing. My mind could see far beyond "foetus" and ran straight to "little person in our house". It is VERY hard to have that shattered.

Try to stay positive and sending u nothing but good vibes and positivity.

RoTo72 Tue 10-Nov-15 13:06:18

Thank you. I'm here alone, son is at school and fiancé at work.too much time to think

LBOCS2 Tue 10-Nov-15 13:10:43

Hi OP, when was your actual last period? It sounds very confused, like your GP has plucked some dates out of the air?!

My understanding is that you generally ovulate 10-14 days before the start of your next period, and irregular periods tend to be caused by irregular ovulation - which follows as when you approach a menopausal age, you're not necessarily ovulating so frequently and therefore aren't having such regular periods, ovulation stops (no fertility) and therefore so do your periods. This is my understanding of it.

Working on that basis, if you found out 2 weeks ago that you were pregnant (presumably because you were due on, it didn't come and then you tested) and you ovulated 2 weeks prior to that, you're likely to be 4, maybe 5 weeks pregnant. In my last pregnancy I had a scan at 4 weeks in which they saw nothing, and the earliest they generally say they might be able to see anything in terms of heartbeat is 6+ weeks. On that basis, seeing a sac and foetal pole sounds perfectly plausible.

I'm not saying everything is going to be fine - no one can say that at all. But with the confusion on your dates, it is possible you're just not as pregnant as they think you are!

Good luck either way smile

PeppasNanna Tue 10-Nov-15 13:10:56

I am an 'older' mum who had complications in pregnanct. Rifght now you are in an incredibly difficult place. I used tbe mantra of ' Today i am still pregnant' Each day i would say it to myself ...repeadily!

Try to concentrate on looking after yourself. This time will pass.

Sending youflowers & big hugs. X x x x

RoTo72 Tue 10-Nov-15 13:18:16

I know I had a period on the 16th September, (that was the one that was 3 weeks late), so that would put ovulation around the 30th, which would put me at 6 weeks and ? days. Terrible to get to my age and not know my own body. Thank.you, that has eased me a bit

RoTo72 Tue 10-Nov-15 18:51:42

Iv just started cramping bad and light bleeding

amysmummy12345 Tue 10-Nov-15 19:55:22

Thinking of you RoTo72, is it worth going up to a&e? Xx

RoTo72 Tue 10-Nov-15 20:14:04

Poured maternity hospital, they told me.only to come down if bleeding v heavy, otherwise phone early pregnancy clinic in the morning and ask for a scan. Bleeding has stopped but still v crampy. Also just don't 'feel' pregnant anymore.

RoTo72 Tue 10-Nov-15 20:14:25

Phoned not poured

amysmummy12345 Tue 10-Nov-15 20:20:16

Hoping things are still positive for you, keep us updated lovely xxx

RoTo72 Tue 10-Nov-15 20:22:33

I will do. Thanks for your support x

absandme Tue 10-Nov-15 23:26:01

It's gut wrenching & an overthinking situation to be in. I have had the 'not pregnant feeling' in both mc & happy pregnancies so don't rely on it too much.
Get your scan, ask about NICE guidelines as they need to check babies growth against your previous scan, the idea being there should be a change in size....if they cannot do that then get your scan, see the outcome & it may be that they need to wait another week for another scan as per guidelines.

RoTo72 Tue 10-Nov-15 23:41:56

First scan was only Monday, prob no difference in size. Cramping has eased and no further spotting. Don't know if its usual 6 week.symptoms (iv read lots this can happen), r something is happening.

lexigrey Tue 10-Nov-15 23:44:56

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

RoTo72 Tue 10-Nov-15 23:46:22

Thank you

Dungandbother Tue 10-Nov-15 23:47:06

thanks
Feeling for you OP
Just want to show you someone cares x

RoTo72 Tue 10-Nov-15 23:47:41

X

RoTo72 Wed 11-Nov-15 10:03:50

Quick update, cramping stopped quickly, a rather flatulent hr r two. Prob cos I ate nothing all day Monday. No further spotting, feel ok today.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now