Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Midwife not doing what is expected?

(25 Posts)
Kittyfrickle Mon 09-Nov-15 16:20:35

I'm 26 weeks and I haven't been weighed since my booking appointment or had my bump measured. I've not had any indication of when birthing/NCT classes will be or how I'm meant to sign up to them either. I'm just wondering if she should have done these things by now?

clarabellski Mon 09-Nov-15 16:26:23

They don't routinely weigh the mother now I believe - only if there is medical need to do so.

They start measuring the bump from the 28 week appointment.

NCT classes are nothing to do with the NHS. You need to look at NCT website and decide for yourself if you want to book them.

If your NHS trust runs antenatal classes, depending on your area you may need to book these yourself (rather than the midwife doing it for you). Just call the midwifery team and ask them for details of how it works in your trust.

Kittyfrickle Mon 09-Nov-15 16:26:56

I don't have weighing scales at home either so don't know how much weight I've put on confused

Kittyfrickle Mon 09-Nov-15 16:28:47

Oh that's okay then, was just worried as have known other people to have their bump measured at the 24/25 week appointment and get weighed each time they go. Maybe she thinks I'm putting on an okay amount of weight just by looking at me, hopefully

ilovehotsauce Mon 09-Nov-15 16:28:53

I don't think they weigh you throughout as standard unless you express a concern either I've put on loads/I don't think I've put on any. Unless you are consultant led due to bmi then its at 28 & 34 weeks.

In regards to bump being measured I think it depends my last pregnancy it started at 28 weeks this time it was 30weeks but that may be due to appointments rather than the norm.

If you want NCT you need to book yourself but there will be NHS classes in your local area. Maybe call and ask?

Hth

Picnic2223 Mon 09-Nov-15 16:31:32

I haven't been weighed at all I was asked my weight at my booking in appt and they accepted that.
My bump want measured until 28 either. Basically what I am saying is claras abet is spot on.

Runningupthathill82 Mon 09-Nov-15 16:43:19

Like others - I've never been weighed by the midwife, aside from at the 12 week scan. Bump was measured for the first time at 28weeks.

NCT classes are nothing to do with the nhs, they won't mention them. And in my area the community midwives have nothing to do with the nhs antenatal classes either - you book direct through the hospital.

So basically, I'd say it sounds like your midwife hasn't missed anything, and there's no cause for concern.

Oysterbabe Mon 09-Nov-15 19:10:21

If you do want to do nct you may have left it too late. I'm 28 weeks and just started mine. The class I'm doing sold out months ago.

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Mon 09-Nov-15 19:12:09

I was never weighed or measured...

Sleepybunny Mon 09-Nov-15 19:15:22

Are you concerned about your weight or measurements?

elephantmarch Mon 09-Nov-15 19:17:10

You can always ask to be weighed. It's not your midwife's responsibility to tell you about NCT but i betcha she's knowledgeable about things that are on offer, sometimes hospitals run their own courses for first time mums (mine was one evening of 3 hrs). If you're worried about anything - just ask.Pregnancy is exciting but can be baffling with all the appointments and jabs etc...but i've always found midwifes to be very good at answering my questions - no matter how daft ( i didn't know what a cervix was for example)

unimaginativename13 Mon 09-Nov-15 19:19:00

I was weighed at booking in and now I have a 2 week DS and haven't been weighed since.

I had a higher BMI and GD and they still weren't concerned (I now weigh 12lbs less than I did when I fell pregnant - if I was concerned I would have asked)

Bump was measured around 26 weeks

NCT I had reserved from 6 weeks and I confirmed and paid from 12 weeks.

Why don't you ask these things at the appointment for her to clarify rather than pointing out mistakes??

adagio Mon 09-Nov-15 19:24:16

Echo previous posters - I'm coming on 29 weeks and not been measured or weighed since booking in. I googled NCT and decided too pricey and have done daisy birthing instead -which I am really enjoying and thoroughly reccomend. Found through Google nothing to do with midwife though! Also reading Ina may Gaskin guide to childbirth has been very useful. My area does offer an NHS antenatal class but it's through hospital, optional and most people go at about 35+ weeks I think
In other words sounds like your midwife is fine but you might want to get googling and or buy a book or two smile

Gobbolinothewitchscat Mon 09-Nov-15 19:27:35

Go to Boots and weigh yourself. Keep a note if your weight etc and discuss it with the midwife if you are concerned

Bump measured from 28 weeks. If you wNt it done earlier, ask.

NCT is nothing to do with the NHS. Look on the NCT website for courses and book yourself

I agree with you that sometimes things are unclear but you need to ask the midwife about what is happening/not happening and why. Get your partner geared for that for when you're giving birth too.

Kittyfrickle Mon 09-Nov-15 19:28:27

Thank you guys smile it's my first baby and the way my midwife has been doing things isn't going along with the appointment schedule I've been given so was just unsure as to whether she'd missed those things out. She missed my booking blood results so had to chase them up myself. I had to remind her to book me in for my anti-D because she didn't pay attention to my blood type, if I hadn't had read when I was meant to have it I may have missed getting booked in for it

tinyme135 Mon 09-Nov-15 19:42:12

at my appointments I've had my bump measured everytime since 25 weeks, apparently where I am it's every 2-3 weeks they like to do it. and I've only been weighed once which I'm glad of haha.

Brummiegirl15 Mon 09-Nov-15 19:49:56

I'm 28 weeks today and not been weighed since my nuchal test/bloods.

I've got a midwife appt tomorrow and will be measured for first time. So your mw hadn't missed anything

Kittyfrickle Mon 09-Nov-15 19:57:34

Just checked the schedule in my care records and it says I should have been measured at my last appointment and had information on classes at the one before that. Is anyone else's like mine? Not had the feeding checklist either, whatever that is meant to beconfused

PassiveAgressiveQueen Mon 09-Nov-15 21:02:41

In north Yorkshire i wasn't weighed or measured, i asked about measuring and was to,d 'it is an unreliable measure that just worries people' so she measured me and i was 10 weeks post labour or some such silly number.

unimaginativename13 Mon 09-Nov-15 22:10:18

When you go get out the checklist and go through each thing, there may be a good reason why it wasn't done .

Cheshirehello79 Mon 09-Nov-15 22:25:30

Well not defending your midwife but I was never weighed.
The only time I was weighed was at my booking in appointment at 8 weeks I'm now 36+5 to evaluate risk of your pregnancy.

My midwife never discussed ncts neither - the hospital receptionist after my 12 weeks appointment promoted me if I wanted to book any .

As long as your midwife checks your bloods/ blood pressure/ urine / and from 32 weeks baby's Heat beat and discuss if you have any other issues - I guess that's all they do. They might recommend it but by not doing it I don't think that means they are not doing what they are supposed to do

MissSMartin Mon 09-Nov-15 23:11:57

I started being measured at my 25 week mw appointment.. but have only been weighed once my BMI is really low so maybe that's why they don't see it as a concern? My mw is a little forgetful and only just told me at 29 weeks about parent craft classes for me to attend.. so they will prob be booked up by the time I call them.. im 30 weeks on friday.. maybe raise it with her at your next mw appt? X

Nishky Tue 10-Nov-15 06:55:28

Bet midwives love first time mum's don't they? I remember going with a list of questions at each and every appointment!

Runningupthathill82 Tue 10-Nov-15 08:13:37

There seem to be a lot of these threads around at the moment, with people worrying that their midwife is "missing" things - or, in more extreme cases - being furious over some perceived error.
I don't remember anything like this criticism of midwives on MN when I was pregnant with my son three years ago.
Though that could be my memory deceiving me.

unimaginativename13 Tue 10-Nov-15 10:01:10

To be fair to the midwives people are posting they are doing it wrong when in fact they aren't !

My bump didn't get measured as I was going to have a growth scan so it's a conflict of measurements.

People need to be a bit more clued up on what pregnancy involves so they can ask the right questions.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now