Talk

Advanced search

Lorazepam in first trimester, pls tell me it's going to be ok?

(7 Posts)
muddleoffeelings Fri 06-Nov-15 18:11:54

Hi there,

I am 6/7 weeks pregnant with a very first and longed for baby. I'll try and keep it brief.
A few years ago I was clinically depressed, was on Sertraline for 18 months. Came off and managed without it. Have accepted that I will always be an anxious person and have continued to see a counsellor and used MBCT to get through it.
We were TTTC for 3 years and about to go through IVF when I found out I was pregnant. First few days, joy disbelief, fear all expected emotions.
This last week though I have experienced anxiety like never before. I've had severe panic attacks - they have been coming in waves, pinning me to the bed or confining me to one room in the house. If I'm upstairs I can't make it downstairs and vice versa. I forced myself out of the house for a few hours yesterday but was terrified to speak to anyone serving me in shops incase I started crying.
I don't think I am worried about what could go wrong with the pregnancy I just don't see how I can continue to feel like this and be a normal functioning human for the next 9 months. When I wake in the morning I am seized by panic at the thought of getting through the day. I feel as if I have suddenly forgotten how to "do" life again.
I would normally go to the gym but am getting faint and breathless just climbing stairs - even answering the door is scaring me.
In desperation I spoke to my counsellor who suggested I made an emergency Dr.s appointment. Dr says going back on Sertraline not ideal in 1st trimester(which I accept and expected) but gave me 2 weeks supply of Lorezepam (2mg twice a day as needed).
I now feel like a failiure if I take them. I have two sisters who have anxiety and neither of them would even take Paracetamol when pregnant - they would be appalled at me so I don't feel I can talk to family.
Did anyone here take lorazepam during early pregnancy - can someone tell me it will be ok? Please....

acquiescence Fri 06-Nov-15 19:17:15

I'm a mental health nurse and have worked with lots of pregnant clients who take lorazepam. It is obviously better not to if you can manage without but if the anxiety is at such a high level that you cannot function well then it is likely that this will have a more detrimental effect on the fetus than the lorazepam will. If there was any clear evidence that it could harm the fetus (well embryo at this stage) then the GP would not have prescibed it.

Have you been offered some talking therapy through iapt?

acquiescence Fri 06-Nov-15 19:18:18

Ps maybe just take half a tablet at a time, this is a low dose but likely to have some effect on your anxiety. Good luck, you have done the right thing by talking to your GP so well done.

muddleoffeelings Fri 06-Nov-15 20:07:58

Thankyou - I have talking therapies Mindfulness based stuff that helps with the everyday chatter in my head. But this is so frightening - however people "do" life day to day, I've just lost that ability, I can't remember how I did it before. I hope this is a very intense but short event. I don't feel like me - I can't even take my mind of it by reading or watching TV as I can't focus.
I don't know what IAPT is I'm afraid. I have asked for assess to Mental Health Midwives.
I just don't feel like I can be truthful with my family as they didn't even agree with AD's and would be appalled at the risk I would putting the baby at telling me "you just don't know....well I wouldn't". My husband (who see's the day to day is fully supportive though. Thanks you all

acquiescence Fri 06-Nov-15 20:10:26

I'm glad your husband is supportive, that is the most important thing.

Iapt is 'improving access to psychological therapies' am which is the talking therapies available through your gp. Sounds like you are on the right tracks with midwife support. You can get through it, stay strong.

Becky899 Sat 07-Nov-15 15:35:08

Hi muddleoffeelings , I have suffered from anxiety and been on and off medication for many years , when I found out I was pregnant I was taking fluxotine 20mg , I decided to stay on this dose after speaking to my gp and midwife , as my dosage was the lowest dose , and risks were low to baby. I have been under hospital obstetrician while pregnant , and they have suggested me keeping on the dose , and said I can breastfeed on this dose , and i am now 38 weeks pregnant , and baby has been healthy all the way through pregnancy. Xx

goodnightdarthvader1 Sat 07-Nov-15 16:09:50

I had anxiety during the first trimester, fine now, so it may fade (although I know that doesn't help you right now).

Please don't worry about feeling like a failure - yes, your sisters took nothing, but some women drink and smoke heavily throughout their pregnancy, so that's no barometer to judge by.

You have to do what's best for YOU, because a healthy mummy is a happy baby. The doctor wouldn't have prescribed them to you if they were very dangerous. Yes, of course it's better to take nothing - I'm on blood pressure meds, allergy meds, hernia meds, nausea meds - all essential to my daily wellbeing, yet my midwife tried to guilt-trip me into not having them with the "it's better to have nothing" line. I'm 26 weeks today and my baby is developing normally.

Look after yourself, the rest will fall into place.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now