Talk

Advanced search

I can't eat anything

(7 Posts)
Jellybean100 Fri 06-Nov-15 12:47:14

Looking for some reassurance. I'm 8 weeks tomorrow and have the worst appetite ever. I know this is common but I feel nauseous probably 90% of the day, I only vomit once or twice but I just can't eat. Everything I think of that I could possibly eat makes me feel sick. The things I am eating are unhealthy. I've worked out I'm getting no more than about 1000-1100 calories a day. Any tips or anyone in same boat?

MrsCrimshaw Fri 06-Nov-15 12:54:21

Food has been a real issue for me throughout my pregnancy (currently 35 weeks). I started off trying to eat wholesome, nutritious food but all of it made me feel sick! It made me anxious around food, which I have never been before. I haven't been able to eat a standard sized dinner for months and months.

Now I'm third trimester I have a similar problem but from heartburn and raging burps! Still can't eat a full dinner, which I find really depressing! I eat little and often instead, but still feel anxious over the side-effects.

Speak to your MW if you are concerned you aren't taking on board enough calories. Are you losing weight?

Jellybean100 Fri 06-Nov-15 12:57:56

Yes I've lost about half a stone since I found out I was pregnant 4 weeks ago, which is ridiculous as I find it impossible to lose weight when I'm dieting. The nausea is stopping me from doing things- I don't want to go out for coffee with friends or out for meals, I want to just lie very still all day lol. I'm struggling with meal ideas because by the time I actually cook anything I've gone off it again.

mrsmugoo Fri 06-Nov-15 13:02:11

Yes in the same boat. 9 weeks here and I'm nauseous all day with actual sickness ramping up around 4pm and continuing until I throw in the towel and go to bed. I'm living on brown toast and ginger cordial with fizzy water. Everything else makes me heave. I don't think I've actually lost any weight because I put on a couple of pounds from weeks 4-7 with increased appetite so I've just evened out.

No need to worry about the baby, they just take what they need. I've got an appointment at the doctors next week as I'm starting to struggle to get through the day and I have a toddler as well.

Thurlow Fri 06-Nov-15 13:02:18

There are medications you can take to help, if you want to. Severe nausea is just as debilitating as actually being sick 10 times a day, if you're struggling to eat and drink. Have a chat with your GP if you'd like to.

I survived on toast and weetabix for about four months, that was all I could get down. Lots of women end up eating very little or just rubbish for months on end and they and the baby are fine, from a nutrition point of view. But if you're losing that much weight then it's definitely worth having a chat with someone.

Mummageddon Fri 06-Nov-15 16:52:30

This sounds just like me, severe nausea all day and night.
I had zero appetite and wasn't getting enough fluids either. I went to gp and they signed me off work till 12 weeks and prescribed stemetil for the nausea.
It's been a struggle but its getting better as I approach twelve weeks now. I've spent a lot of time these last few weeks lying down which helps alot, and tried to drink plenty of squash even if I can't eat much. There's also a thread on the pregnancy board for people suffering with bad pg sickness. I couldn't cope with posting but it helped to read and see that I wasn't alone.

MusicalFanjo Fri 06-Nov-15 19:27:14

Food has been a real issue for me in each of my pregnancies. I didn't have an appetite for anything even on the very rare occasion that i wasn't vomiting.

I found that the more I ate the hungrier I became for example if I skipped lunch I would only manage a few mouthfuls of dinner but if I had lunch i would manage at least half if not more.

The thought of food was worse than the actual eating of it, I just needed to get over that initial 'eww' factor.

You don't have to be physically vomiting a lot to get medication for the nausea. It is affecting your day to day life so do book an appointment with your GP if it doesn't improve.

Best wishes

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now