Talk

Advanced search

high bmi and seeing a consultant

(13 Posts)
delilabell Fri 06-Nov-15 08:04:07

At my 12 week scan the midwife booked me in to see a consultant because I have a high bmi.
Does anyone have any experience of what will happen? I'm already embarrassed that I've been bpoked in but I couldn't cope if I get told alk the bad things about being overweight and pregnant.

OllyBJolly Fri 06-Nov-15 08:07:16

I would imagine they would want to talk through the risks and it would be negligent on their part not to discuss this with you. I would hope they will be supportive and non-judgemental.

LittleBearPad Fri 06-Nov-15 08:07:36

In my experience very little. I was booked for an extra scan at 34 weeks but that was it. The appointment was just like any other midwife appointment I.e. Urine dip / blood pressure / Doppler (I think).

spacefrog35 Fri 06-Nov-15 08:09:58

I guess it depends on how high and which consultant but when I was referred for this I went in, saw the consultant who did a quick check of weight/ blood pressure etc & then discharged me back to midwife care. Felt like a complete waste of time! Wasn't rude or uncomfortable just felt like a tick box really.

I'm under consultant care again for a different reason and going in to see the consultant is really no drama. Just extra checks and an opportunity to ask any questions. I actually find it massively reassuring as it means I see someone every 3 weeks or so.

loveulotslikejellytots Fri 06-Nov-15 08:11:16

I've been referred too, now 32 weeks and seen the consultant twice. All very routine, take a urine sample, do blood pressure. General chat about the pregnancy, get to hear the heart beat again. They haven't even weighed me at the appointments.

I've got another appointment in 4 weeks, they said if there is nothing 'wrong' at the that appointment (by that I mean high bp or protein in urine) then they will discharge me from the consultant. I'll be seeing the midwife anyway before delivery, they do bp checks.

And don't worry about it. They were very non judgemental, no one actually mentioned weight. And there were people there of all sizes and for different reasons.

April2013 Fri 06-Nov-15 08:15:33

I think there are some potential problems you have a higher risk of getting that you\they need to be aware of so that if they happen you can be treated promptly, maybe you will have some extra monitoring - I'm sure they see lots of people with a high BMI so try not to be embarrassed, they just want to make extra sure you and your baby are OK, they probably just want to explain all this to you. Maybe do some online research into it before your appointment so you feel a bit more in control of the situation and can ask any questions you think of. There is so so much about pregnancy that is embarrassing, I am regularly cringing at myself confused - you are not alone in feeling embarrassed at all. Congratulations!

Every1KnowsJeffTheJerkOlantern Fri 06-Nov-15 08:15:36

You might be asked to have a gtt to check for gestational diabetes too.

CuppaSarah Fri 06-Nov-15 08:28:29

It's no big deal, they won't be judgemental at all. There's just a few bits they'll want to talk about with you, like maybe a gtt. Chances are you'll mostly be seeing the midwives and just catching up with the consultants every now and then.

Skiptonlass Fri 06-Nov-15 08:43:37

Be aware that if you're overweight then you are statistically at higher risk for several issues ( gestational diabetes for example) but that does not mean you're absolutely going to have issues. The point of seeing the consultant is to assess your own personal situation in light of your individual circumstances one the background of the stats that relate to people with a similar Bmi

So if they do pick up something like high blood pressure then it's good because they will monitor/ treat it and if they give you a clean bill of health then that's positive too.

Don't fret. There's no personal judgement here, it's just good clinical practice.

My bmi was just over 30 at booking in. I had very low good blood pressure, low blood sugars etc and was metabolically very healthy the whole way. The best thing you can do it to get yourself eating healthily and excercising at an appropriate level - I put on very little weight during pregnancy and am lighter after birth then at booking in.

Hope it all goes well for you!

sepa Fri 06-Nov-15 08:56:57

I had a bmi of 30 at my booking and I haven't seen a consultant (now 22 weeks) just have to get gtt. Guessing it may just be area dependant.
I would see going to the consultant as a good thing though as it means they are looking after you and your baby

delilabell Fri 06-Nov-15 08:59:36

Thanks everyone. I've actually lost a stone and a half before getting pregnant and I do do lots of walying so I hope it shows I am trying.
I've got to have the gtt because of family related diabetes.
You've all reassured me thank you.

RainWildsGirl Fri 06-Nov-15 09:13:35

i had a bmi of 38 at booking so am technically consultant led but I am now 29 weeks and not seen a consultant due to the fact I am on my 3rd pregnancy, had high (but below the 35 cut off) bmi previously and had no complications. I was consultant led las pregnancy (because of twins) and other than discussing delivery options the rest of the appointment went:

Consultant: your blood pressure is fine.
Me:i know, I saw the MW on Monday
Con: your urine dip is fine
Me: I know, I saw the MW on Monday.

on this basis I have been allowed not to see the consultant until 36 weeks assuming no issues are raised at my regular midwife appt.

MW talked me through (and gave me a very patronising booklet) on the importance of a healthy diet and weight through pregnancy etc at booking in but that's it.

I have just had my gestational diabetes test and came back in normal ranges so no issues there.

basically it is only because you are statistically at higher risk for complications that you need to be consultant led - it seems more about the fact you need to deliver in a consultant led facility, not a midwife led one.

my only complication in my three pregnancies that could be related to weight is I have severe SPD/PGP (hip, back and pelvis pain) but I had this in the first pregnancy when I was considerably lighter so whilst my weight now wont help, I don't think its the cause.

I have 3 healthy children from my two pregnancies (one 'overweight' pregnancy and one 'obsese' pregnancy) and other than a low placenta which is unrelated to weight I haven't had any issues in this pregnancy so far so don't panic that it automatically means you will have issues.

cth1982 Fri 06-Nov-15 11:32:40

I was sent to the Diabetes Clinic as there was some family history (thankfully never effected me) - they just cover all the bases and make sure you are as healthy as you can be - I could also do with losing a couple stone!

My original appoitment I was given diet advice (and told it would help if I lost weight during pregnancy which I thought was a no-no!), urine test, blood pressure and baby heartbeat all listened to, I was then booked in for a 32 week scan, had bloods done (all normal) and have a follow up appointment in a couple of weeks (will be 35 weeks pregnant then).

I have put on bit more weight (still within what the books said I would) so expect to be told off! I always figure an extra eye on things won;t hurt!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now